Spell check in a foreign language with Microsoft Word
spell check in a foreign language, your copy of Microsoft Word must include
a dictionary file of the desired language. All LRC computers have
dictionaries of Colby-taught languages installed; SCS can
assist students with installations on their personal machines. To install
you need the MS Office installation disk and your machine must support
the language you wish to check (see
the non-Roman character page page if your
machine isn't non-Roman character ready).
Installation is a two step process:
To install a dictionary from the MS Office CD, it is easiest to install
the dictionaries while using Word itself. You must have administrator
rights to do this. Follow these steps:
- Highlight the section you wish to spell check in the desired language.
- Go to Tools > Language > Set Language on the menu bar.
- Select the desired language in the dialog box. This marks the language
of the text. Click OK.
- Your machine will prompt you that you do not have the dictionary
file installed, and then ask you if you would like to install it. Insert
the Office CD into your machine and then click yes.
- Your machine will install the necessary files. If all goes well,
the spell check dictionary window in the target language will appear.
To install a dictionary from MS Word (98, 2001, or v.X) follow these
- insert the Office CD-ROM into your machine.
- Open Value Pack folder, then the Value Pack Installer
- Scroll down to find the Proofing Tools check box and click
on the triangle to expand the menu.
- Check the desired language(s) and then click Continue.
- Follow the machine dialog prompts to complete the process. If you
have multiple copies/versions of Office on your machine, you may need
to choose the matching version.
Once you are sure your copy of MS Word has the dictionary you need,
follow these steps:
Highlight the section you wish
to spell check in the desired language. To set the language of
the entire document choose Edit > Select
Go to Tools > Language > set language on
the menu bar.
Select the desired language in the dialog box. Click OK.
Go to Tools > Spelling and Grammar on
the menu bar to activate the spell checker.
Check the small box in the lower left part of the dialog box to
operate grammar check..