|Selected Faculty Research
|| Research Area: Mathematics Education, Linear Algebra
- Linear Algebra with Applications 5th edition, Pearson (2012)
|| Research Area: Number Theory, Algebraic Geometry, History of Mathematics, Expository Writing in Mathematics
- Math through the Ages, expanded second edition, with William P. Berlinghoff. Oxton House and Mathematical Association of America, 2015.
- “Was Cantor Surprised?” The American Mathematical Monthly, 118 (March, 2011), 198–209. Reprinted in Best Writing in Mathematics 2012, ed. Mircea Pitici, Princeton University Press, 2012.
- “Quadratic Twists of Rigid Calabi-Yau Threefolds over ℚ,” in Arithmetic and Geometry of K3 Surfaces and Calabi-Yau Threefolds, ed. Radu Laza, Matthias Schütt and Noriko Yui, Fields Institute Communications, 67, Springer, 2013, 517–533.
|| Research Area: Mathematical Neuroscience, Logic, Algebra
- Jan E. Holly and Sarah M. Harmon, “Sensory Conflict Compared in Microgravity, Artificial Gravity, Motion Sickness, and Vestibular Disorders” Journal of Vestibular Research 22 (2012) 81-94.
- Jan E. Holly, Saralin M. Davis, Kelly E. Sullivan, “Differences between Perception and Eye Movements during Complex Motions” Journal of Vestibular Research 21 (2011) 193-208.
- Jan E. Holly, Scott J. Wood, Gin McCollum, “Phase-Linking and the Perceived Motion during Off-Vertical Axis Rotation” Biological Cybernetics 102 (2010) 9-29.
|| Research Area: Number Theory, Arithmetic Dynamics
|| Research Area: Matrix Analysis, Linear Algebra, Operator Theory
- Livshits, L. ; MacDonald, G. W. ; Marcoux, L. W. ; Radjavi, H. “A spatial version of Wedderburn’s principal theorem.” Linear Multilinear Algebra 63 (2015), no. 6, 1216–1241.
- Livshits, L. ; MacDonald, G. ; Marcoux, L. W. ; Radjavi, H. “Paratransitive algebras of linear operators II.” Linear Algebra Appl. 439 (2013), no. 7, 1974–1989.
- Livshits, L. ; MacDonald, G. ; Marcoux, L. W. ; Radjavi, H. “Paratransitive algebras of linear operators.” Linear Algebra Appl. 439 (2013), no. 7, 1955–1973.
|| Research Area: Nonparametric function estimation, empirical processes
- On the integrated squared error of the wavelet density estimator Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 143 (2013),1548-1565.
|| Research Area: Functional Analysis, Operator Theory, Linear Algebra
- Hawkins, K.; Hebert-Johnson, U.; Mathes, B. “The Fibonacci identities of orthogonality” to appear in Linear Algebra and Its Applications.
- Mathes, B. ; Xu, Y. “Rings of Uniformly Continuous Functions” Int. J. Contemp. Math. Sciences (2014), pp. 309 – 312
- Dixon, J.; Goldenberg, M. ; Mathes, B. ; Sukiennik, J. Linear Algebra and Its Applications (2014), pp. 177-187
|| Research Area: Biostatistics, Public Health
- R. St. Laurent, L.M. O’Brien, S.T. Ahmad. “Sodium butyrate improves locomotor impairment and early mortality in a rotenone-induced drosophilia model of Parkinson’s disease.” Neuroscience, 246: 382-390, 2013.
- M. Polacksek, J. Orr, L.M. O’Brien, V.W. Rogers, J. Fanberg, S.L. Gortmaker. “Sustainability of Key Maine Youth Overweight Collaborative Improvements: A Follow-Up Study.” Childhood Obesity, 10: 326-333, 2014.
- A.B. O’Connor, L. O’Brien, W.A. Alto, J. Wong. “Does concurrent in utero exposure to buprenorphine and antidepressant medications influence the course of neonatal abstinence syndrome?” The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 10: 1-3, 2014.
|| Research Area: Statistics, Epidemiology
- Bellan SE, Pulliam JRC, Scott JC, Dushoff J. “How to Make Epidemiological Training Infectious.” PLoS Biology 2012; 10(4)
- Hanson LA, Zahn EZ, Wild SR, Dopfer D, Scott JC, Stein C. “Estimating global mortality from potentially foodborne diseases – an analysis using vital registration data.” Population Health Metrics 2012; 10:5.
- Eisenberg JNS, Goldstick J, Cevallos W, Trueba G, Levy K, Scott J, Percha B, Segovia R, Ponce K, Hubbard A, Marrs C, Foxman B, Smith DL, Trostle J. “In-roads to the spread of antibiotic resistance: regional patterns of microbial transmission in northern coastal Ecuador.” Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2011. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2011.0499.
|| Research Area: Knot Theory, Geometric Topology
- Exceptional and cosmetic surgeries on knots (with Blair, Campisi, Johnson, Tomova). Accepted by Mathematische Annelen (2016).
- New examples of Brunnian theta graphs (with Jang, Kronaeur, Luitel, Medici, Zupan). Accepted by Involve (2015).
- Distance 2 links (with Blair, Campisi, Johnson, Tomova). Geometriae Dedicata, 2015
|| Research Areas: Applied Algebraic Geometry and Mathematical Neuroscience|