Welcome to Colby!
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers courses in mathematics and statistics to a wide range of Colby students, ranging from those who just want to take one or two quantitative courses to those who want to major in the mathematical sciences. As a new student, you will probably have questions; these pages are our attempt to answer some of them and to tell you where to go for more answers.
- After reading the information below, fill out the questionnaire. Every student considering mathematics in the fall should return a completed questionnaire.
- Read the mathematics course information for first year students.
- If you are considering Calculus, use the calculus placement worksheet (PDF) to see what course is recommended for you. Please keep the following advice in mind:
- When choosing between a harder course and an easier course, we suggest you try the harder course for a few days. It is much easier to move from a harder course to an easier course than from an easier course to a harder course.
- If you are planning to take a Calculus course at any point during your time at Colby, we recommend that you take it during your first semester here.
- If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
- When you arrive at Colby, if you are unsure of your choice of math courses, we encourage you to attend the informational meeting held during orientation. Take early advantage of the close student-faculty relationship that we cherish here!
- During the summer, you can contact
evan.randles AT colby DOT edu
- When you arrive on campus in the fall, you can contact
in person at Davis 206
gawelch AT colby DOT edu
- In either case, please include a phone number in case we need to call you.