For School Visits
Field Trip Experiences
This year 11 local educators paired up with museum curators, docents, and teaching artists to create themed Field Trip Experiences: downloadable pre and post visit activities for your classroom, along with a museum tour and a studio workshop for your visit. These experiences were developed based on their connection to the Museum’s collection, classroom curriculum, and Maine State Learning Results. Book your free Field Trip Experience at the Colby College Museum of Art to make your classroom curriculum come to life!
Field Trip Experience Topics
- Grades K-3 Every Picture Tells A Story
- Grades 4-5 The Maine Experience
- Grades 6-8 Geography & The Environment
- Grades 6-8 The Civil War & Emancipation
- Grades 9-12 Isolation & Community
- Grades 9-12 Balance & Motion
Additional Field Trip Programs
Colby Musicians Perform
Tuesdays, November 8, 15, and 29, 2016, noon–12:45 pm
Bring your students for a noontime concert by Colby student musicians, and a “Meet the Musician” question and answer session. Musical selections and instruments will vary. Space is limited, for reservations call 207-859-5623.
Cosponsored by the Music Department and the Museum
Picasso Performances Workshop
December 1 and 2, 2016, noon–12:45 pm
Experience an interactive dance workshop led by Colby students and inspired by selections from Pablo Picasso’s Vollard Suite. Limited to grades 8-12, by reservation only. For reservations call 207-859-5623.
Cosponsored by Theater and Dance Department and the Museum
Join the Colby College Museum of Art for our new Educator Evenings! On the third Thursday of every month, enjoy refreshments, conversation, and networking with fellow educators while learning about current exhibitions, artworks, and artists and how to incorporate them into your classroom teaching. Those attending will receive contact hours for certification.
Educator Advisory Board
The Educator Advisory Board is a group of local educators chosen to meet monthly to discuss ways to engage Maine’s students and teachers at the Museum. They are charged with collaboratively designing and developing tours, activities, curriculum, programs, and evaluation for school visits and teacher professional development. The annual stipend for teachers on the board is $1000. Applications (a resume, letter of interest, and 2-3 references) will be accepted September 1–30, 2017. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Goals for the EAB are as follows:
- To have local educators work collaboratively with museum curators, docents, and teaching artists to develop relevant resources and programs for K-12 students and teachers.
- To develop collegial working relations with other educators who are interested in using art objects in curriculum and instruction.
- To develop knowledge about and advocacy for the K-12 educational programing and resources available at the Colby College Museum of Art.
- To develop professional skills and leadership among members of the board.
The following classroom lesson plans are for teachers who are planning a trip to the Museum. They examine objects and themes in the museum collection, and can be used in a classroom or Museum setting.