On Saturday, October 11, Colby College in Waterville will dedicate the Ludy and Pacy Levine Athletic Grounds in honor of the late Waterville brothers, who were alumni of the college and ardent supporters of Colby athletics. The dedication is part of the college’s Family Homecoming Weekend, which will include the centennial celebration of Colby’s C Club, an organization that supports Colby athletics. For its 100-year anniversary the C Club will recognize the Alfond and Levine families as the C Club Family of the Century. The honor recognizes the unique contributions to Colby athletics by Harold and Bibby Levine Alfond ’38 and Bibby’s brothers, Lewis “Ludy” Levine ’21 and Percy “Pacy” Levine ’27.
The dedication of the Ludy and Pacy Levine Athletic Grounds will take place at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 11, on Seaverns Football Field prior to the Colby-Amherst football game. The dedication and game are open to the public and free of charge. On Friday, October 10, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. the C Club Centennial Dinner will be held in the Joseph Family Spa and the Page Commons Room of Cotter Union. Advance tickets are required for the dinner. Call 207-872-3190 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the dinner.
The Alfonds have supported Colby athletics in highly visible ways, from the Alfond Ice Arena, completed in 1955, to the overhaul of the Alfond Athletic Center, completed in 1993, as well as in less obvious ways. They have also made enormous contributions to the College outside of the athletics sphere, most notably having given the naming gift for the Harold and Bibby Alfond Residence Complex dedicated in 1999.
The Levine brothers were ardent supporters of Colby athletic teams and made countless contributions to Colby and Colby students in their lifetimes. Both men received the C Club Man of the Year award and later received the Colby Brick Award from the College, as did Harold Alfond, and all three were awarded honorary degrees by the college. The brothers, lifelong bachelors, ran the clothing store Levine’s, a Waterville institution from its inception on Ticonic Street in 1891 until the closing of its Main Street storefront in the spring of 1996. They died a year apart, Pacy in 1996 and Ludy in 1997.