This program will provide high performing U.S. students with the opportunity to be part of a 10 to 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members in a variety of academic disciplines, from science, engineering and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
Mitacs, our partner in this new initiative, is a federally funded, national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for some 20 years. Working with 70 universities, 6,000 companies, and both federal and provincial governments, they support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
We would welcome your support in identifying and encouraging your students to apply for such an opportunity. Details of the program are outlined below.
The application deadline is Oct 31st 2019.
Given the relatively short official recruitment period, we would kindly ask that you reach out to those students who might be interested asap.
Fulbright Canada – Mitacs Globalink program
1. U.S. students will come to Canada to undertake advanced research projects.
2. Projects will cover a broad cross-section of research topics including most academic disciplines.
3. Students will spend 10 to 12 weeks (May – October) in Canada on a research project in their area of interest.
4. Students will be placed at a Canadian university and undertake a supervised research project.
5. Students will be given the opportunity to take part in a program of professional training.
6. Students may interact with companies of interest through tours or individual meetings.
7. Students will have extensive opportunities for cultural, social, and recreational experiences.
Participants in this program must:
1. be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited university located in the United States;
2. be a United States citizen, and hold a valid U.S. passport;
3. have at least one semester remaining in their program of study as of Fall 2020;
4. have a competitive grade point average;
5. be available to spend between 10 to 12 weeks in Canada between May and October; and
6. apply by October 31, 2019.
Students who participate in this program will have:
1. access to the prestigious worldwide Fulbright network (the Globalink program will not impact the eligibility to apply for Fulbright Student programs);
2. access to some of Canada’s top research facilities;
3. the opportunity to gain valuable international experience;
4. a rewarding experience combining academic research, professional skills, and personal growth; and,
5. a grant in the amount of CAD$7800
To apply, students must provide:
1. a completed application form;
2. transcripts from their home university or college;
3. a current Curriculum Vitae (CV);
4. two letters of reference; and,
5. a personal statement- no final project needs to be identified at this time, please read the application instructions for more details.
Candidates can see past projects in this page and confirm if anything has been done in that particular field. In the Search Projects section, select +MORE FILTERS and under programs select Globalink.
The program is highly competitive. Students will be evaluated on a combination of factors including their record of academic achievement, their personal statement, their current skills and interests as they apply to the proposed program, fit to program, and letters of recommendation.
Program website available here
Application materials available here: Website link
See here the webinar Preparing a successful application for the Fulbright Canada-MITACS Globalink program