Do I pay Colby tuition while away?

Only when studying on a Colby program (i.e. ONLY Colby in Salamanca, Dijon, St Petersburg, Bigelow Laboratory, and selected affiliated exchange programs) will you pay Colby tuition while studying away. If you study on a Colby-run program you will be billed by Colby in the same way as a semester or year on-campus.

If you are studying on a non-Colby program, program/university fees will be billed by the host institution, and paid by the family, not Colby. Off-campus study program fees vary a lot so please refer to the specific program provider or university. Students studying on a non-Colby program will be billed a $1,000 off-campus study fee by Colby for each semester they are away.

What does it cost to study abroad?

Costs vary greatly depending on the program type, foreign university tuition, location, duration, currency exchange fluctuations, and other considerations. Please refer to the specific program provider or university. Many programs on Colby’s approved list cost less than Colby’s fee, including overseas airfare and other travel expenses; a few (in large cities) cost more. Direct enrollment in a foreign university on the approved list is usually less than enrolling in that same institution via a U.S. college (e.g., Butler-Institute for Study Abroad). But students should balance cost with their need for support services provided. Make sure you have a realistic estimate of all costs and arrangements before you make this decision. Our Financing Off-Campus study page has some resources which can help including a Off-Campus Study Budget Planning Worksheet.

What is the off-campus study fee?

Studying on non-Colby programs will be billed by Colby for a $1,000 off-campus study fee for each semester they are away (excluding certain Colby affiliated programs). The charge will be billed by Colby’s Office of Financial Services. For students on financial aid, this charge is considered part of the cost of attendance.

Yes. Financial aid status should not deter you from considering study off-campus. If you receive financial aid at Colby, your aid is portable to both Colby and non-Colby semester programs as long as your plans have been approved by the Off-Campus Study office. A student’s aid for an OCS semester will be recalculated based on the actual cost of the program up to a maximum of Colby’s student expense budget. The evaluation of the aid application includes consideration of direct educational costs incurred while classes are in session including tuition, required fees, room & board, books, airfare and books, and necessary personal and local transportation expenses.

If the program away costs less than Colby, financial aid will be reduced accordingly. Therefore the amount of your aid may differ from what you receive when you are on campus. Financial aid funds will be disbursed directly to the student (not the program) and it is the student’s responsibility to assure that program/university fees are paid.

For more information on how to apply your financial aid towards your study away plans, please refer to the Student Financial Services webpage for Financial Aid for Study Away section.

* NOTE: Colby financial aid is NOT portable to summer, Jan Plan, or study at another U.S. institution.

This will vary greatly depending on your financial situation and where you are going. Your financial aid award will be recalculated based on the cost the off-campus program/university you are attending.

Yes. Financial aid does not include such items as application fees, expenses for passports, visas, immunizations as well as any independent non-program travel, departure taxes, gym/club memberships and other extra personal expenses (beyond typical meal expenses).

Be aware that term-time earnings that you usually earn while working on campus are considered part of the student contribution and will not be replaced with Colby Grant.

Check the Financial Aid for Study Away section for more important information.

Will there be unanticipated costs?

Most likely, yes.  Students should always be prepared for unanticipated costs.  Managing your money, and how much money you will spend while off-campus will very much vary depending on where you go, how much you travel and go out, and the local financial systems in the country in which you are studying. Your program will provide information on managing these matters safely as well as what may be included in your program fee. Consider costs of personal travel, personal spending, sightseeing and souvenirs in your budget.

Will I be able to work while I am studying off-campus?

It depends. Rules governing foreign student work vary greatly between countries. It is important to be sure you are legally allowed to work while studying in your host country. Ask your program or foreign university.

On campus work-study jobs are not available abroad.

No. Please see below for the actions you need to take.

Since program fees are billed by the host institution, they are paid by your family, not Colby. There are two important financial aid forms to be filled out for approved non-Colby programs: the Study Away Budget Statement and Agreement (required of all financial aid applicants, even if the only aid is in the form of loans), which is essentially a budget form to be completed by your program, and the Disbursement of Aid Funds Form, which directs the aid funds to a parent who may then pay your program. Another important note on payment for approved non-Colby study away programs is that an Off-Campus Study Fee of $1000 per semester will be charged by Colby and is due according to the College’s normal billing schedule (The $1,000 Off-Campus Study Fee is considered part of the budget when determining aid eligibility).

When should I apply for financial aid?

You must comply with procedures and deadlines as directed by the Student Financial Services office. The Study Away Budget Statement and Agreement should be filed as soon as possible before you are scheduled to depart for your study away. Applications for financial aid for study away are addressed on a first come first served basis.

When will I receive my financial aid?

According to federal regulations, Colby cannot disburse aid funds until within 10 days of Colby’s first day of classes each semester.  Aid funds will be released only if the necessary paperwork and electronic processing have been completed.

Who will pay my off-campus study program?

It is the student’s responsibility to assure that program/university fees are paid. Financial aid funds will be released directly to the student (or parent/guardian based on the Disbursement of Aid Funds Form you submit) not the program and only if the necessary SFS paperwork and electronic processing have been completed.

I received a bill from my program/university? What can I do?

The Student Financial Services office can provide a Financial Aid Information Sheet listing the anticipated aid and disbursement dates that you can show to your program/university. Most study abroad programs are willing to wait for the portion of the payment covered by financial aid.

What if I need to demonstrate proof of my aid amount for my school or visa?

The Financial Aid Information Sheet and other banking information may also be needed as proof as part of your visa application.

Can I use a payment plan for off-campus study?

Families who use a Tuition Payment Plan for paying Colby cannot generally do so while the student is attending an off-campus study program. You may check with the program or host institution to inquire as to what payment plans they might have available.

Can a use a tuition insurance plan for off-campus study?

Parents can only use the Dewar Insurance in the case of a Colby-billed program such as Colby in Salamanca, Dijon, St Petersburg, Bigelow and a few other programs (check with SFS or OCS). It is possible that some program providers or foreign universities may have such plans available for students participating in their program. Enquire directly with them.

Please refer to the program’s stated withdrawal and cancellation policy which usually follows a refund percentage based on the withdrawal date.

Can I use my employer-contributed funds or funds from tax-free College Fund-529 plan to pay for off-campus study?

Yes but keep in mind that some additional documentation may be required in the case of certain off-campus study programs. Please contact the Off-Campus Study office should you need any additional documentation regarding educational expenses.

Yes. There are many different undergraduate scholarships and fellowships for study abroad listed in the scholarship section of our website. Each has their own guidelines and application deadlines. Refer to the list of scholarships on the OCS website or check with your chosen program for any scholarships which may be available. Many scholarship deadlines are much earlier than the program application deadlines.

Some students are also able to raise funds through family or community or by using crowdfunding sources.

May I apply for scholarships offered by my study abroad program provider?

Yes.  Many study abroad providers offer scholarships and you are encouraged to apply for those you qualify for.  If you receive financial aid at Colby, please note that any additional scholarships you may receive must be disclosed to Student Financial Services and may de deducted from your aid.

First, be sure you understand how payment and financial aid for off-campus study work at Colby. Costs vary greatly depending on the program type, foreign university tuition, location, duration, currency exchange fluctuations, and other considerations. The tuition and fees are posted on each program or university’s website. In many cases, the overall costs are less than Colby’s Comprehensive Fee but some can be significantly more. Costs are available on program and university web sites. There are also other costs such as passport and visas which vary greatly depending on your destination and citizenship. You can research airfare, local transportation, cost of living, currency exchange rates on sites such as numbeo and XE Currency and there are many more resources in our Pre-Departure section of the website. The Off-Campus Study Budget Planning Worksheet can help you to estimate what will be needed. Don’t forget to check out scholarships and other resources on the Financing Off-Campus study webpage.

Your program may also have some helpful tips on managing your money such as the IESAbroad tips for financing before you go abroad .

If your parents, or anyone else, are involved in paying for your educational costs, we strongly encourage you to share this information with them.