|Welcome to Off-Campus Study’s Global Images photo contest! This contest is open to all Colby College students who studied or did work abroad during the academic year, 2017-2018. What a great way to reflect on and share your experience with the Colby community! SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES – Photos MUST be submitted according to the following:
- Submit up to 2 photos, each photo must be in a different category.
- Send high resolution, original photos (minimum size of 1MB) — photos copied from Facebook or your phone do not have high enough resolution for enlargement.
- Photos must have a file name that includes your Lastname_Firstname_class year_ Country.jpg. Please put PHOTO CONTEST ENTRY in the subject line of your email.
- Photo Registration information (OCS photo contest Registration form ’18) MUST be submitted for each photo (including Student name, class year, title of photo, location, and must include the mandatory description/caption).
- The Photos and Registration forms must be emailed to email@example.com. Photos with no or incomplete registration information will be disqualified and not considered for the contest.
- Photos should be from international locations outside the U.S.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, November 4, midnight. Any late entries will be disqualified.
- Category 1 – Landscapes & Streetscapes: A landscape or streetscape that reveals or symbolizes your vision of the place you visited and provides a sense of the place in which it was taken. What about this image makes it meaningful for you?
- Category 2 – Portraits: A portrait of a person or group of people you encountered abroad. How did this encounter occur or what was your relationship with this person(s)? How does this portrait capture or illustrate, for you, the way of life or cultural context of the people among whom you lived during your studies abroad? What does it tell you about the people of this country?
- Category 3 – The Global Classroom: Select a photo which represents an academic aspect of your off-campus study experience, indicating the name and type of program on which you studied. The photo should:
- Show a learning experience you had either in the classroom, during a course-related excursion, a cultural event/activity, or while engaging with local culture
- Illustrate the process of learning (and how it may or may not be different than learning at Colby), or
- Depicts a product, outcome or achievement which is a result of your academic experience
- Category 4 – The student experience: Look at the photos you took. Looking beyond the beautiful views or funny shots to select an image that illustrates or documents a personal or professional skill you developed while you were out seeing the world. What does your photo actually say about you and the skills you used or gained during your time away? Explain “what you see” in the photo at first glance (what the picture is about) versus “what you get” (what lesson(s) or skills your derived from the activity or experience.
- First, Second and Third place winning photos in each will be selected by a panel composed of OCS staff, student workers, and Colby faculty/staff members.
- Photos will be judged on the basis of artistic and technical merit, originality, and the image’s ability to capture an experience, location, or event abroad with an emphasis on the student’s description and interpretation of the meaning of the photo as written in the photo caption.
- The first, second and third place winners in each category will receive a $75, $50 or $25 (respectively) gift card and an Off-Campus Study t-shirt.
- Winning photos will be on display in Pulver Pavilion and will be exhibited at other locations around campus. The photos will also be on our OCS website and Facebook pages.
- All submissions can be viewed (after the submission deadline) on our Facebook page Off-Campus Study at Colby College.
Questions? Contact Sue Forbes in Off-Campus Study (x4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details.