PRIOR TO THE END OF THIS SEMESTER YOU MUST:
- Apply to your fall program/university, if you have not already done so and promptly follow all their pre-departure guidelines.
- If needed, you may get your medical report (if required by your program) and/or inoculations (if required). This can be done at the Colby Health Center by appointment. Don’t forget to bring any program forms or other records to the meeting!
- Attend the Mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting.
- Review, complete, and sign the Agreement for Participation And Release or Assumption of Risk form and return it to OCS to confirm the program/university you will attend.
- Review the OCS Pre-Departure Handbook
If you change your plans or decide not to study off-campus, please notify OCS so we can cancel your Leave of Absence.
A WORKSHOP: Studying Ourselves Before Studying Away
LEAVE OF ABSENCE:
On October 30, 2016 you will be placed on LEAVE OF ABSENCE to study away from Colby for the spring 2016 semester. You WILL NOT participate in room draw or be able to register for spring classes. (You then will be contacted by housing via e-mail in March 2017 regarding housing for fall 2017).
If your plans change, it is IMPERATIVE that you contact Off-Campus Study ASAP to have your off-campus study program and/or Leave of Absence adjusted. Be aware that housing and course selection options are limited if you miss key deadlines.
- Course Approvals
- Required Course Load Off-Campus
- Review all Academic Requirements for Off-Campus Study
It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with these policies and procedures. If you do not follow these policies and procedures, you may not receive full credit.
- Billing & Financial Aid for OCS
- Pre-Departure Checklist
BEFORE LEAVING CAMPUS:
- Review your STUDENT ACCOUNT status with Student Financial Services, since an outstanding balance at the close of this semester could result in your approval being revoked.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS should check with your Dean to make sure your U.S. visa and immigration papers are in order before you leave.
- Consult with your medical professional(s) to prepare for your time away
- Fill out your change of address in MyColby/Campus Life and drop off your mail box key at the student post office in Cotter Union.
- STORAGE (on & off-campus): For on-campus storage contact the Office of Campus Life. Off-campus Storage is available from All College Storage
- Renew or apply for your PASSPORT Note: your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your return date.
- Review visa requirements for your host country. Plan accordingly, apply as early as possible (usually not before 90 days from departure).
- Follow your program/university’s pre-departure guidelines.
- Make your travel arrangements.
- Review the pre-departure planning resources on our website
- Educate yourself on the country in which you will be studying.
- Staying Safe While Abroad
- Please be aware that, should a U.S. State Department Travel Warning be issued for your destination prior to your departure, you will be required to submit a petition to OCS to waive the Travel Warning advisory in order to be approved to proceed.