Health Insurance

Most study abroad programs require students to have health insurance abroad and show proof of such coverage. Students attending both Colby and non-Colby programs abroad should review their major medical insurance policy with their parents and confirm that it will provide coverage while abroad. Students on Colby programs will be required to show proof of their insurance policy by submitting a letter from their insurance carrier stating that they are covered abroad.

If you and your parents have determined that your insurance coverage will not extend to the overseas program site and there is no possibility of purchasing a rider to extend coverage, you can consider purchasing a policy with Cross Insurance by contacting 1-800-537-6444 ext. 211 or Be sure to specify that you are a Colby student.

Supplementary Emergency Travel Insurance

Colby College does not provide for any travel insurance for students studying abroad. Students attending Colby programs in Dijon, Salamanca, and St. Petersburg, however, are required to purchase the iNext Basic card. For all others the College highly recommends that, in addition to your primary insurance, all students studying and travelling abroad purchase supplementary travel insurance through iNext.

You can purchase an iNext card on-line at Simply create an account online and follow the prompts to select your level of coverage, complete your profile, upload a digital photograph, and make your purchase. Your card will be sent to you the following business day. You will also be able to print a confirmation of insurance directly from the iNext website.

This supplementary insurance offers benefits such as accident and sickness expenses, emergency medical transportation, 24-hour medical, legal and travel assistance, travel document replacement, and student discounts. Five supplementary policy plans are offered, varying in cost from $36- $215 for one year of coverage. It is important to understand that, as with any travel insurance policy, this coverage is secondary to your primary medical coverage and certain exclusions may apply. If you have any questions about the iNext travel insurance coverage or how to purchase a card online, please feel free to contact (207) 553-4039 or or check

Medical/Physical Exam

Your program/university may require a medical/physician exam as part of your program application (not all programs do require this), usually after acceptance into the program. This may be done at the Colby Health Center or at your local doctor at home. You will need to bring the forms required by your program so that the physician may sign them.

Vaccinations & Inoculations

Some countries or universities may require proof of health status or certain vaccinations or prophylaxis in order to get a visa or enter the country. Discuss this with the doctor during your visit.

Inoculations and Prophylaxis


Prescription Medications