march oh march. “in like a lion, out like a lamb”. well, we have seen the lion baring its fierce teeth. the chilling winds and frigid temps have sent us shivering under the warmth of our blankets. well mother nature, i sure am ready for the lamb to grace us with its presence. melting snow, rays of sunshine, bearable temperatures….at least we can maybe escape for spring break? or shall i say sprink breag? bring spreak? spreang brink? man i could use warmth.
now here is what happened last week
what we done did
- lacey went to popham beach
- it was foggy and beauteous
- almost got trapped on an island
- molly swam! chilly
- joseph went to the mountain with jackie, it was “fun”
- jackie and molly went to rumford whitecap
- hot up cold down
- some tears, lots of wind, snow, no tooth feeling
- a disapproving mother in a parka
- megan and grace went into the arb for alternative doghead!
- it was foggy and spooky like a horror movie
- jackie and zoe went to mt phillip
- “nothing to note”
- i guess that means phillip is alive and well…
- maddy led an arb hike with pcb!
- there was hot cocoa and CHEER
- michael played frisbee at bates (a bunch of weenies)
- they beat someone!
- definitely sweat and cheering
- michael and brittany went to maiden’s cliff for 2 year anniversary!
what we gon do
- michael s and martin are going to true mountain maple syrup
- michael k would like to do a pleasant and nice trip
- colleen wants to go to the belgrades wednesday or thursday afternoon
- or a sunrise hike (with julia?)
- joseph wants to do his co lead! at burnt mountain or anywhere else
- jackie wants to go to the bigelows after break!
- they are coming! check out these POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
- platform due dates:
- presidents- april 7
- treasurer/secretary- april 14
- treasurer must be rising junior
- bigelow buddies- april 21
- trips heads must be trip leaders
- camden comrades- april 29
- lead 2 trips by april 29th to qualify
t shirt design contest
- we are looking for designs! pls send one in!
- send to firstname.lastname@example.org by march 22
- voting april 1-5
- deadline for personal gear has passed
- please do not come to office hours for personal spring break gear
- the gear committee is CRUSHING IT
- pls come back in one piece!
question of the week
- pole or poll?
- lacey’s brain is destroyed now
- spring LTT is being planned soon!
- shadows! reach out to trips committee
- we want to get dialogue trips rolling!
- pcb can help us now! yaaaaay
- the maple syrup trip!
- sap is flowing
- there is no firewood bc keenan used it all whoops
- dean would love some wood help
hot seat! jackie florman
- um a shirley temple?
- um pie, pumpkin
- uum ribs?
- watersky? water
- uum i like i like the how we climb a mountain thing
- ooh rei anything
- no i haven’t i would like to
- peanut butter
- uh jackson
consider yourself LEADERED
that is all from me!
hey! welcome back for another thrilling episode.
well my dudes it is going to be a warm week! finally i have something nice to say about the weather (sorry mother nature but you have been a real pill lately). anyway, now as you are attempting to avoid the gargantuan puddles that are oh so kindly inhabiting the sidewalks at least you can bask in the sun! close your eyes and soak up those rays! sure the future may bring slush and mud and raging rivers flowing down from the chapel but at least we will be happy!
here’s what went down in the not-so-sunny outside this week!
what we done did
- joseph went xc ski for the first time!
- only fell thrice plus twice
- lacey kinda went outside and learned to ice skate!
- abby and lacey are going tomorrow morning if you wanna!
- note: i realize they have already gone at this point
- michael went for an arb walk in the snow
- narnia narnia narnia he was in narnia
- megan went to popham beach and saw lighthouses! and horses!
- also a woman thought she was having an existential crisis
- jackie went to mt pisgah
- there was a fire tower with mountains
- empowering graffiti!
- julia went to long island for frisbee
- pouring rain, mud stuff, cancelled games
- “I HAVEN’T SEEN GRASS IN MONTHS”
- alice hiked french friday, clear views
- AND went sledding! gr9 way to destress
- molly et al went to maiden cliffs
- nudity x2
- “every day can be international women’s day”
- kaitlin walked with her aunt in freeport
- there was 50th bday SURPRISE (forced)
- it was very warm, mmmmm, then got cold again booo
what we gon do
- joseph wants to get his co lead– burnt mountain (Sunday hopefully)
- zoe and michael (?) want to go to popham beach around noon
- it might be stormy but it’s all about the vibe
- alice wants to do her co lead! maybe in april!
- julia would be interested
- jackie would love to do a chill co lead this week (maybe to french)
- megan and grace and keenan want ALTERNATIVE DOGHEAD
- maybe at the cabin with board games and snacks!
- it is now closed
- THANK YOU for participating! 🙂 <3
- the raffle will be run soon
- she is coming TOMORROW! at 7! in the CHAPEL!
- tickets cannot technically be gotten still
- but beg the people at the door
SHOUT week hike
- collaborative event with PCB
- hiking in the arb OR snow angels and hot cocoa and snacks
- there won’t be a sign up
- show up to COC office at 3PM friday
- talk about your identity with the outdoors
- looking for COC leaders to help out!
t shirt design contest
- are you artistically inclined? send us a t shirt design!
- send to email@example.com by march 22
question of the week (shoutout to jamie pine!)
- which came first?
- “hot diggety dog” this was close
- waiting for the snow to melt for SPRING LTT
- questions about the process?
- or want to become a leader trainer/ bigelow buddy?
- contact keenan or michael
- available for rent, contact dean strup
- working on dialogue trips
- interested in leading one? contact d&i
y’all get the gist
i just love snow globe days. the ones where the giant hunks of frozen water are beautifully swirling as they fall from the sky. the days where there is a mix of frenzied professors who sat in traffic and a strong urge to jump into a snowbank and not return. as you walk across the wintry mix (which sounds more like salad than the slushy icy nastiness covering the sidewalks) catch a snowflake on your tongue! spin around! make a snow angel! enjoy the beauty of winter while we still have it! or wait until april because you know it will still be snowing…
here’s what happened in the outside last week!
what we done did
- lily went to the mountain, found bentley’s cave!
- bentley was sucked into the cave oops
- blood sweat tears heroic acts spelunking
- taryn went skiing at sugarloaf and saddleback
- nightmare glades are still there!
- zoe did a sunrise hike at french mountain, ‘twas lovely
- the broken foot crew strikes again
- she also went downhill skiing
- grace did her co lead at bald rock mountain
- her heart was warmed by old people learning to ski
- julia went to bates (ew) to play frisbee (less ew)
- beat bowdoin for the first time!
- very ice, much bruise
- michael played frisbee against high schoolers
- grace and kaitlin led a trip to a yurt! more signage requested
- they skied and had great fun
- they ran into a biathlon and a girl scout troop
what we gon do
- michael wants to go outside friday/saturday
- max wants to go outside with bentley
- zoe wants to go outside for her co lead!
- maddy is interested also (glad she made it to her first meeting!)
- megan wants to lead alternative doghead!
- julia is interested, grace is also interested
- keep spreading the link! it is still open!
- we want your feedback
- complete the survey for a chance to win a leatherman or other prizes!
- she is the keynote speaker of SHOUT week!
- an environmental justice activist and generally pretty cool!
- monday march 11 7PM in Lorimer Chapel
- get tickets in the Spa from 12-2 on tuesday, 11-1 on wednesday-friday
- megan’s office hour will be moved from 6-7
- the theme this year is environmental justice!
- collaborative hike with COC is being planned
t shirt design/sticker contest
- we are having a contest to design a new t shirt and sticker!
- submit designs to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 22
- we can use up to 3 colors
- an email will be sent out by Julia
- you will get cool thing as long as you:
- become a leader
- AND lead 2 trips by april 2
- we recently posted a statement on civil discourse
- COC is in opposition to frat/secret society activity
- especially in our cabin (privileges will be revoked)
- 7 UP bottle is missing
- kaitlin was planning to steal it post grad
question of the week
- unknowing ants 8
- knowing ants 9
oh my my this was CLOSE
- ski poles are being bought!
- ski shelving is being finished
- if you have gear in your room/car/possession, BRING IT BACK
- if you are a leader, we have a trip leader resources folder!
- please contact us if you don’t have access
- spring LTT is coming
- check out our statement on civil discourse or HERE
- some of the buckets fell :/
- dialogue trips in the works!
- and dialogue dinners on campus!!
- trip leaders look out for a sign up form
HOT SEAT: Grace Horne!
- um kool aid
- orca whale
- do i get to hide in it? then yes
- 5 spoons
- katahdin last year
- 12 grapes
- uhhhh one? one
- ooh eustis basement, toilets are so low, “natural angleage”
- hickory horned devil
- she pointed at something but i didn’t see
- she has been LEADERED
tune in next week for another episode!
hello there and welcome to my blog!
don’t you just love spring semester? a foot of snow to come, wind chill, windows in hillside freezing over… as the temperatures drop and you all soon become
increasingly spiteful and grumpy more learned individuals, i encourage you to try and seek warmth during these trying times: in the depths of the arb, in the feathers of down jackets, or even in the kindly spirit of a friend (awwww). but we all know the best way to defeat the cold is to embrace it! so strap on some snowshoes/skis/microspikes/otherwinterformsoftransportation, look winter straight in the face, and say “roar”. works every time.
anyway, read my minutes!
what we done did
- joseph went to wfr (megan also went to be a wemt)
- not distinctly outside, but in the realm
- grace and olivia went to french mountaiiinnn (and went up too!) was ice
- will went yonder to popham beach. cold water for surfing
- he couldn’t even cry due to the vaseline
- max and bentley and friends went part of the way up old speck
- the snow felt fake and did weird things to the mouth region
- snowglobe snow? conspiracy? is old speck real??
- blood and sweat, too cold for nude
- megan and soren went to big rock cave in nh
- it was spectacular! magnificent spelunking and icy structures
- they also went uphill both ways, oops
- caroline went skiing at icy quarry road
- keenan and family moved to great diamond island!
- kaitlin made a fire on runnels with coc comrades
- there were snow tears, the fire melted into the snow
what we gon do
- grace and max want to (maybe) teach people to xc ski or go on an adventure or will figure something out on xc skis idk man
- michael wants to plan another sugaring farm tour
- maybe a tour or maybe doing some work, definitely sugary
- kaitlin is interested in a night hike
- caroline lunt (absent) is interested in an easy friday afternoon trip- contact her!
COC annual survey
- every year, coc sends out a survey to gain feedback about how we are doing
- it will be in the weekly email and fill it out HERE
- you can win a leatherman, a night at the cabin NOT WITH MEGAN, t shirts
- fill it out!
- going out this weekend with michael and nat
- if you are on it, you know
- will be an awesome and chilly time! amazing views
- maybe another one in march
- we have an opening for this awesome position
- incredibly important and impactful in making our club a welcoming space
- send platforms to K council by february 17 at 7pm to be read at the meeting
- friday february 15 at 8-10 (?) in foss
- a folk dance, mixture between line and square dancing
- is super fun! partner optional! following commands!
- the application is live! any returning student can apply!
- an opportunity to mentor the youth!
- NO outdoor experience is necessary
- tabling in the spa this week! an application and an interview! due feb 21
- on march 1, ryan is doing an avalanche skill workshop
- you will be able to check out backcountry and avalanche gear for personal use
- information will go out through ryan
- she is coming to talk during shout week in march about diversity in outdoor spaces
- she wrote the book club book, we have it!
- a generally amazing perspective
- runs summer trips for teenagers (biking, hiking, service, language, photo)
- you can apply to lead said teenagers and get paid for it (wow)
- trips ranging from 9-20 days
- looking for responsible and dynamic leaders
- check em out at the career fair if this strikes your fancy
question of the week
- sure, it is filling enough – 23
- no way, just a side- 2
y’all are WRONG, surprisingly decisive
- jan plan LTT went spectacularly!
- a training trip, critical part of becoming a leader
- working with trip feedback and implementing curriculum
- spring LTTs in the works
- ordering new xc poles and boots
- working on new ski storage, less destruction
- bring back checked out gear for the love of GOD
- taryn and max will send you angry emails beware
- buckets were washed
- syrup sans twigs! amazing
- instagram feed about pertinent people in the outdoors in honor of black history month
- if you have ideas of people, send them to will
- see bentley and grace about ~events~
- dean’s personal items have been removed from the cabin calendar
- you can rent the cabin, just need a pick up-drop off deal
now get outside!
thanks for tuning in.
jack frost? more like JERK frost am i right? he has come to visit us with icicles: on the trees, falling off of buildings, drooping from your beard, in your hearts (ouch). what a wondrous gift he has brought for us! from the sparkly whites of the magical snowflakes to the daring blues of PPD’s road salt to the graying of your freezing skin, he has brought us a rainbow of JOY. so snuggle up to your radiators and hunker down because winter has only just begun.
anyway, here are my minutes! yes haw!
what we done did
- keenan went arbshoeing
- perkins brook is frozen, he heard rushing water
- taryn went skiing on chapel hill
- there was a jump! she jumped! maybe 3 seven-up bottles high
- “it was actually pretty good”
- joseph snowshoed from ams to bobs and swandove into the banks
- larkin tried to hike coburn. it was really really cold and pretty
- they also hit moxie falls!
- “uh i uh like coburn”
- max went cross country skiing with the rents
- it was fun. taryn was there
- louise has great technique. stu has endurance.
- soren went to the mountain with bentley and john
- they rediscovered bentley’s cave!
- challenging elevation gain
- michael and brittany went to the ladies delighthouse and walked on the frozen lake
- there were people snow ice fishing
what we gonna do
- max and bentley are doing the “1st annual Julia Von Ehr in absentia hike”
- sunrise hike, french mountain, early bird (PANCAKES)
- michael would totally lead a trip this weekend not friday
- max feels obligated by the grips of campus life to lead cross country skiing at 10am on saturday, looking for a co-friend
- it’s happening! we have s p o t s
- sign up here by monday night
- we got a sign up. and another one! oh MY MY
- an essential step in the leader process
- from saturday-sunday on great pond in the COC cabin!
- we will be toasty and learn important leadership skills and be toasty
diversity and inclusion
- we are holding an election for this vacancy at the beginning of spring semester
- this bigelow buddy is important in making the COC a more inclusive space
- involves collaborating with PCB and the Colby community
learn to ski
- 3 different types!
- cross country ski
- 10am at quarry road! classic or skate ski
- telemark skiing
- must know how to make parallel turns and a hockey stop on alpine skis
- sign ups here!
- pre trip meeting on tuesday! if you sign up, show up
- alpine skiing
- at sugarloaf!
- run by outdoor education, spots chosen via lottery
- this friday AND sunday
- check out ColbyNow for sign ups
- we can outfit you with coats, gloves, snow pants, hats, smiles, etc.
- we just got 6 passes to quarry road! incredible!
- for cross country skiing!
- you can check these out during office hours and return them after use
- AMAZING NEATURE FUN YAY
how many emus does it take to defeat a moose?
- five 2
- fifteen 6
- thirty 4
- moose are indestructible 1
might need to see this one in action
- taking a field trip to home depot oh jeez
- duct tape and shelves are on the docket
- we will be flush with duct tape ideally
- we have gear! come check it out! heh
- game night tuesday at 8!
- movie night thursday at 8!
- def out there prepping for a bountiful syrup harvest
- pls dont go this weekend
- there is still wooood
- winter LTT
- keenan is excited
- REVIVAL OF WHITTLING
- wednesday at 7 (for real this time)
that is all for now my friends.
hello krusty krew!
over winter break I am sure we all salivated over the thought of gliding effortlessly across the smooth, shimmering ice of johnson pond. alas, it remains buried in snow. BUT, colby has thoughtfully prepared an alternative: the walk between the spa and dana. come borrow some skates from our gear room and enjoy this thrilling chute of salty, dirt-laden ice! alternatively, borrow some cross country skis and glide across the still-snowy paths of frat row! and if you’re not in the mood for that, then come check out some gloves and a winter coat to finally make the cold of east tolerable! the options are limitless!
anyway here’s what we did and what we may or may not do in the future:
stuff we done did
- joseph went snowshoeing up french mountain and then went to camden and skipped some stones (over 20)
- pls note that the beach in camden has prime skippy stones
- larkin went outside
- last night
- it was night time
- reportedly cold
- megan re learned how to cross country ski to quarry road with max
- bentley went up a fire tower, it was windy and cold and sunsety
- some ppl went to the loaf
- max and soren and austin went mostly up east kennebago mountain
- kaitlin is mostly proud
- “there is shame in turning around”
- charlie raced in cross country skis in vermont today
- bentley hiked up to see some wind caves over break
- over chrimas michael ran around outside in the dark
- max also went skiing over winter break and went to a hut or two
- soren climbed the peak above the nubble over break
- kaitlin walked her dog and found a dead deer (oh dear)
stuff we gon do
- bentley and soren will ascend the mountain! on thursday
- max is interested in leading a skiing trip
- learn to ski
- or adventure
- megan, on saturday, would like to go to round top or sanders hill
- maybe with michael
- casual lil friendly snowshoe
- soren and especially kaitlin will ascend coburn mountain on saturday
- PEOPLE should lead these requested hikes:
- the annual early bird trip
- which is actually in the works
- ice fishing
- leader training trip!
- a necessary step in becoming an outing club leader!
- two weekends from now! 25th and 26th of january
- we shall travel to the outing club cabin and live in relative warmth
- AND learn about general leadership things
- like how to manage groups and how to set up a tent and other important things
- first trip this weekend
- you know if you are on it
- there is a second one feb 16-17
- professionally guided
night of 1000 glow sticks
- this wednesday!
- maybe not 1000 glowsticks
- but people encouraged! to go outside! and enjoy themselves!
- meet at COC office at 7 to pick up gear
- ice skating on Johnson Pond, sledding, snowshoeing in the Arb
- if you want to HELP, fill out this form
- telemark skiing downhill (free the heel!)
- we have tele skis!
- our ryan linehan will be leading these to teach the populace
- first one this wednesday! check your inboxes for info! sign up here!
- must know how to parallel turn and hockey stop on alpine skis
learn to ski day!
- learn to ski program at Sugarloaf
- fully funded by Colby!
- limited spots, check ColbyNow/ outing emails for signups
- it is SUPER FUN
- we have warm gear you can borrow 🙂
- we will be sponsoring a book club
- “Black Faces, White Spaces: Reimagining the Relationship of African Americans to the Great Outdoors” by Carolyn Finney
- reading a few chapters a week
- meeting tuesdays 6-7 in Dana Camp Room
- car horns 4
- car antlers 18
- entirely obvious
- another trip to sugaring farm is coming!
- sugaring fact: during the day you need temperatures above freezing and in the night you need below freezing temperatures for sugaring
- it’s there
- in winter: only accessible if you get dropped off and picked up
- new furniture is coming
- there is woooooooddddddd
- we got new sleds! yay
- they are cool and foam and snow SCREAMERS
- we will attempt to wax all the XC skis in the next week
- more info coming- we need your HELP HELP HELP
- one of our d&i heads has stepped into a new role
- so we need a new one!
- bring us your passion
- we will be holding elections this spring
- stay tuned my dudes
- prepare your platform for the vote
- game night tuesday at 8
- movie night thursday at 8
- its BACK
- this wednesday at 7
- he is the social media guy
- send in your outdoor photos!
- he wants cool social media stuff! like stories
- DM them to @colbyoutingclub
- shameless plug: follow our insta it’s gonna be rad
until next time!