New faces met old faces and old faces met new faces, and now all the faces know each other. For those who found that previous sentence confusing, essentially we had a bunch of lovely new peeps at the meeting this Sunday (hi friends!) and we did a name circle (again, whoop whoop).
Sam was (once again) absent from the meeting this weekend because apparently trips to go rock climbing with your sister in Colorado are more important than your duties as a sexcretary. Whatever, I’m over it.
WE BROKE FOR FALL, HERE’S WHAT WE DONE DID:
- Amy, Jake, Anna, and Don went to Vermont to get Sara from the mountains and bring her home. Sara was the president of the COC last year and she was working as a caretaker on the Long Trail this fall; she is now an expert in things like yelling aggressively about alpine vegetation and composting poop. We should all strive to be like Sara (literally y r u so cool? teach me ur ways).
- The Bossis (Chloe included), Sam, and Abby went adventuring through New Hampshire and Vermont. They too tried to find Sara but they JUST missed her. Upon reaching the summit they saw her hiking away and called after her… but their efforts were futile. This, kids, is what we call a damn tragedy.
- Duncan, Sage, Anna, Anna, Dalton, Will, Logan, and Rachel went paddling. They canoed up around Rangeley. There was blood, sweat, tears, and Logan got naked multiple times…by himself. Concerning.
- Jake, Park, SJ, Sarah, Lisa, and WOLFDOG aka Ryan Linehan went to Big Eddy campground and did some fun white water paddling. There was no nudity but things were v wet (I still don’t think both of these phrases should’ve been stated in the same sentence but c’est la vie). The trip was UNREAL.
- PJ, Mickey, Tevis, and Tanner “Jesus died for our sends” Boucher went on one of two Colby Mountaineering club trips. They went climbing in the whites in North Conway. There was learning, blood, sweat, maybe tears, and definitely lots of sending.
- Lilli, Scott, Austin, Spencer, Fini, Julia (me!), and lots of other LOVELY folks went on the other CMC trip. We climbed in Acadia. There were sea cliffs, and slabs, and crack climbing, and panda and unicorn costumes, ’twas #illuminated.
- Big Ronnie hiked the Bigelows over fall break (Logan got very excited when she said this and did a lil jig in his seat). There was FOR SURE blood, sweat, tears, and nudity 😉
- Eli went to Nova Scotia, he found some good waves. The swell was swell.
SCHOOL STARTED AGAIN, BUT WE STILL WENT OUTSIDE:
- Tanner hiked Tumbledown, he SAW SNOW WITH HIS OWN TWO EYES. He also (less excitingly) saw Park and Lisa and Lilli and her “pals”.
- There was a frisbee tournament. The boys killed it. The girls beat Bowdoin. Rap battles to the death were had (ok maybe not to the death, but still).
- Joe, Duncan, Logan and others went to Canadia where they got woody and muddy with some Canadians.
- Julia (me again, how exciting!) and others went to Acadia on Saturday will BILL our ecology professor *starts chanting Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill from Bill Nye theme song* where Bill spewed straight knowledge about e-co-lo-gies.
THE IMMINENT FUTURE:
- Keenan wants to lead a trip…more info TBA.
- There will be a roll clinic this Wednesday in da pool.
- This Saturday the cross country team will be having NESCACs at Quarry Road, come cheer on and wear costumes (Bates definitely won’t be wearing costumes)
- Sunday River will be opening this Friday or Saturday. “How cool will it be to ski all morning and then get glittered by Kesha all night?!?!?” – Spencer Martin
THE FUTURE FUTURE:
- Our next Leader Training Trip will be held November 4th – 6th.
- WFA (another necessary part of the leader process) will be happening on the 12th and 13th. If you plan on becoming a COC leader talk to K-council or Trips Committee about how to do WFA totally for FREE.
- Thanksgiving Break Trip: lead by Fini, and Greyson. They will go to the Maine Huts and Trails hut in the Bigelows, it will involve day hiking, cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and then going to Boston and doing the Freedom Trail. This trip is geared towards people who can’t go home for Thanksgiving but all are welcome, woooooo!
- WFR will be held over Jan Plan break.
JOBZ AND THE REAL WORLD:
Want to lead trips outside for a job? whaaaaat? more deets below:
- Overland Summers will be having an info session on Monday (tonight) at 7PM in Diamond 223
- Apogee Adventures will be having an info session on Tuesday at 7PM in Diamond 221
- Wilderness Adventures will be having an info session on Thursday at 7PM in Diamond 123
- Keystone Science School will be here on either Thursday evening or Friday afternoon, more info TBA.
- Abby wants you to do tent puzzles with her. RETURN YOUR GEAR FROM FALL BREAK.
- Office Hours: Thursdays from 7-8, be there or be square.
- Office hours will be on Tuesdays from 7-8, come hang.
- This week is the final week for LTT sign ups.
- this week they’ll be going to get some wood at the sugarbush, yay.
- Events/ Community Outreach:
- Fall fest was NOT a success because stoves are dangerous indoors and there was rain, BUT we have loads of hot chocolate now and will probably be doing an event soon with all that delicious chocolatey goodness.
- Meetings are in Foss at 6:30 on Thursdays.
Spencer is literally always alone.
Warm fuzzies were had, but I was too busy partaking in said warm fuzzies to write them down. I am sorry, I have failed you as a scribe. On that note…goodbye, my loyal subjects, until the next time Sam isn’t here.
Per popular demand, I have triumphantly returned to my post as sexcretary and your faithful minutes-creator. Immediately after the meeting last night, which pitted Julia and myself in a battle of the sexcretaries, I received news of many completely bipartisan polls that had me in a landslide. I tell you, these were the fairest of polls. So I have taken it upon myself to enact the wishes of the people and retake the minutes from my opponent. Anyway, here’s what I got:
The result of our Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays:
- Thursday night, Park and Father Park went on a bonding trip to their ancestor Park, Acadia National Park. They biked on a carriage path, did some hiking, then came back to Colby. Sweat and good vibes were abound.
- Saturday night, Michaela and Soren and Sam (me!) hiked French Mountain very late at night! Too dark to know whether nudity/sweat/tears/blood occurred, so we’ll assume they all did.
- Tucker and Eric rowed Runnals. Still unsure what that means.
- Keenan almost got outside with some old people. His new goal is to see how close he can get to going outside without actually getting out there.
- People made a fire on Runnals Friday night. I was one of them. Anna “FireCat” Caughron made fire out of nothing, defying every law of science.
- Owens is multifaceted. Went to Whites and made some did some business deals (seems shady). Went paddling with Lisa and Wolfdog and Small Wolfdog. Lot of fun. Lot of wet. Every two out of four peoples swam. Rad mushrooms. More puffballs. Sorry for the lack of full sentences; she said a lot of things.
- PJ went to NH (home) and climbed Cathedral. Led his first trad 5/11. ALSO HE IS BEST FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE NAMED HOBO GREG.
- Brittany and Hannah went kayaking. Brittany annoyed Hannah. Sometimes Brittany is my spirit animal.
- Austin went canoeing with Logan and Anna and maybe others. Logan was mediocre.
- Lydia and Dylan and Family Dylan went to Acadia and did not hike.
- Fall Break is next weekend! We have some trips going out, but they’re all filled up already, sorry.
- Everything else is too far away to plan. Planning is hard.
- The next Leader Training Trip will be the weekend of November 4th-6th. Keep an eye out for more information.
- A WFA (Wilderness First Aid) course will be held on campus on November 12th and 13th. Check out what kind of stuff you can learn here. YOU MUST HAVE WFA TO BECOME A COC LEADER. Sign ups will be coming out soon.
- A WFR (Wilderness First Responder) will most likely take place on campus over Jan Plan Break and the following weekend (Jan 27th-31st and Feb 4th-5th). WFR is a step up from WFA and is described here. Keep an eye out for more info.
- Proposals for Spring Break trips will be due mid-November! Spring Break trips are awesome. Check in with K-Council with any ideas or questions.
- We’re working on making a Winter Training Weekend with Ryan Linehan (probably over Jan Plan)! Keep an eye out if you’re interested.
- Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, Owens has decided to step down as Trips Facilitation Committee co-Head. She has done so many amazing things for the COC and will be dearly missed. If you have benefited from anything she’s done for the club (hint: you all have), give her a subtle but knowing head nod next time you see her. Or actually say thank you, but I think the head nod would be more meaningful.
- On the bright side, the fantastic Anna Caughron will be stepping in as co-Head! She doesn’t like head nods though, so don’t confuse the two in your greetings of them.
- Talk to Brittany and Anna if you want to be a leader!
- Tent puzzle fiasco party this Tuesday and Thursday 7-8 (PUZZLE PUZZLE PUZZLE)!
- We got new microspikes! Or, as Park calls them, mini-crampons.
- Fall Fest is coming up soon (October 22nd)! For those who have not been here for a Fall Fest, it’s basically a celebration of all things fall. Pretty self-explanatory. COC will be helping out by providing a hot chocolate making station and leading a walk in the arb. We need volunteers, so email Hannah Peters (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested!
- WHITTLING. THIS WEDNESDAY. AGAIN. BE THERE.
- It’s great.
- Gonna buy some stuff.
- Getting kicked out of boat room.
- Maddy leader now.
- ANSWERS: CMC HITCH HAS TO BE AROUND SOMETHING STALIN FOLD ON? MY ROOMMATE LINCOLN LOVEJOY SINGLE STALLS SO THEY DONT FALL OFF DIDGERIDOO NOT REALLY SMARTWOOL I CANT ANSWER THAT
Hope y’all aren’t stressing out too much over exams. Remember, the answer is usually c. If you’re writing an essay, don’t put too many exclamation points in it. A few should suffice. And when you finish a midterm, reward yourself with a few thousand french fries.
This has been “How to Survive Midterm Weeks” by Samuel ‘Meatball’ Krumholz. aDiEu.
I’m writing to inform you that this past week there was a coup within the ranks of the K-council. Your ever faithful sexcretary, Samuel L. Krum(b)holz, was usurped by myself (Julia) the former sexcretary-to-the-sexcretary and now official keeper of the minutes. Sam is unable to comment because his writ of habeas corpus has been suspended, and I can neither confirm nor deny his current location. So to all those eagerly awaiting the weekly edition of Sam’s minutes (sorry not sorry), and to all those using this to procrastinate homework (me) let us begin:
TRIPS WE DONE DID:
- LTT was L.I.T. Owens, and Hannah, and Anna, and Chloe, and Brittany, and Lilli (Life Alert) , and Max, and Catherine, and Olivia, and Julia, and Greyson, and Tanner, and others whom I did not get to write down went to Mount Blue for a leader training trip and there was “too much learning” and also “we went mushroom hunting and found many cool mushrooms that we ate, yay!” YIPPEE FOR NEW LEADERZZZ AND NOT EATING HALLUCINOGENIC SHROOMS.
- Mo has no friends and hiked French Mountain in the dark. It was cloudy and the stars allegedly disappeared…which I can only rationally conclude means THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING AND WE ARE ALL IN MORTAL PERIL.
- Laura (one of my dearest coot baby children) and others went to Mount Battie, and then went to the beach and saw DOGS. PUPPIES >LITERALLY EVERY HUMAN EVER. 10/10 trip because doggos were seen.
- Abby, Soren, Ryan, and squad hiked Mt. Abraham. Nudity, sweat, and blood?!?! (it is unclear). More importantly there was a harvest festival and r-o-l-l-i-n-g f-a-t-t-i-e-s. Possibly the best day ever.
- Maddy, Logan, and Andrew climbed Old Speck. Old Speck is the 3rd or possibly 4th highest peak in Maine, it’s contentiously debated. Tune in later for more answers to this and other COC mysteries including: How did the forks get up there? Where is the juice? and Why is Spencer pretty?
- Spencer hiked French Mountain with his fam and puppies they ran into other puppies and the puppies didn’t get along and they had to hike in opposite directions, why can’t we all just be friends, ya feel? Also PSA there was a fire on French Mountain this past summer. Remember kids only YOU can prevent forest fires. #LNT #smokythebear
TRIPS WE GON’ DO:
- Kaitlin wants to lead a trip to Mount Coburn (not the dorm). Her guide book says it rivals the best views in Maine + it will be extra pretty because of that güd fall foliage (peace. love. temperate deciduous forests.)
- Eric wants to lead a tumbledown hike. That’s all I have for this bullet. Move on, please.
- PJ “trips to my house” Benson and sister Peej might go hike with the Williams Outing Club in the whites (ps Williams’ mascot is a purple cow but they call themselves the Ephs…should I know what ephs are? lmk please)
- If you need someone to babysit your parents this weekend send them to the Perkins Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary for a parents weekend hike (with Jake, maybe????)
- LET US KNOW IF YOU WANT TO LEAD ONE
- Wolfdog Linehan (aka Dad (aka Ryan)) will be leading a legendary canoe trip over fall break. Btw probability of seeing moose/mooses/meese increases by 200% percent in the presence of Wolfdog.
- If Logan doesn’t go on Ryan’s trip he will lead a separate and less moose filled canoe trip.
- CMC FALL BREAK. THE MOUNTAINEERING CLUB HAS BREECHED THE INNER SANCTUM OF THE COC. COME CLIMB IN ACADIA. There will definitely be one trip, maybe two, no climbing experience necessary. (if you want more deets, send me email@example.com an email and I’ll add you to the CMC email list)
THANKSGIVING (aka everyone pls give thanks for Fini Just):
- Fini Just (literal cinnamon roll, too good for this world, too pure) will hopefully be leading a trip over thanksgiving for international students and others who can’t go home for the holiday. She needs a co-lead.
- Spring break trip proposals will be due in mid November. Talk to K-Council as ASAP as possible.
CAN YOU CANOE? DO YOU DRIVE?
- If you’ve had your driver’s license for 3 years or more and would like to get Colby certified to haul trailers loaded with large water sleds (read: canoes) then hit up K-council for more info.
- Abby said she had nothing new to talk about but she actually has loads to talk about. Please keep returning gear. ALSO we have NEW microspikes! Yay! There will be a gear meeting this Tuesday from 7-8. Abby and Parky Park have office hours on Thursday at 7-8.
- There will hopefully be another LTT in November. Also we have so many new leaders in training looking for co-leads and shadows…help them blossom into beautiful full fledged leaders.
- PPD crushed all of their hopes and dreams. They didn’t approve a new sugah shack. Talk to Ryan Clemens if you want to get involved with sugaring/console him on his crushed dreams.
- Events/ Community Outreach:
- The COC will be helping with activities for fall fest, more deets to come.
CONNECT WITH US:
- fb message/mail/text/carrier pigeon/signal flare to Hannah Bossi if you want to join the Friends of the COC facebook group or the COC groupme.
- hit up these sweet instas: @colbyoutingclub, @colbymountaineeringclub, @colbyfreeride
Amy, mushrooms, future leaders on LTT, Logan’s warm fuzzy beard, people on top of Abraham who helped with directions, Sam Krum, Greg for looking at Colby, people that got naked on Tumbledown, people that got naked on Abraham, Kaitlin for being a warm and fuzzy person, Amy for creating warm fuzzies, buildings warmed by renewable energy, dana having blue cheese and feta cheese, my coot daughters, chilliams, mom
ALSO MAJOR WARM FUZZIES TO GRACE FOWLER BECAUSE HER STORY TIME WAS AMAZING AND SHE GAVE ME ALL THE FEELS. EVERYONE LOVE HER PLEASE.
OK that is it, that is all. In case you were worried, Sam was actually at home this weekend. He went to a Red Sux (no that isn’t a typo) game and will be back to flooding your inboxes with emails soon. So long, farewell, with love,
Welcome back, outdoors-lovers!! Seeing all your lovely faces at the meeting warmed my heart and cooled my toes (still confused by the toe effect). If you’re new to reading my minutes, I apologize in advance. If you’re not new, well, it’s your fault that you clicked on the link. Suckers. Anyway, here’s what happened in a windowless room with many couches on a wonderful Sunday evening:
WHAT WE HAVE DONE WITH OUR WEEK(END):
- Chloe, Abby, Caroline, Maddy, Jamie, and Zane hiked a prezidENT. ‘Twas a lot of fun, they got to see a cabin. There was sweat, but unfortunately no tears. Too bad.
- The weather app sucks, but Kaitlin and Brittany (plus others) managed to sweat a little bit on French Mountain. Toad urine (NOT FROG URINE) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jys_SuLW9Es) was spotted.
- PJ went to his house with Spencer. Along with that, he and Dylan and others climbed some sick stuff at Mount Washington. No nudity was involved apparently, but I for one don’t believe it.
- Maddy and Park and Logan and others summited THE BIG OLE KATAHDIN and Logan ate a WHOLE block of cheese. No updates yet on his digestive system.
- Anna and Hannah and Amy and some others went to Maiden(s?) cliff(s?) and DID NOT go swimming. They played fantasy, in which someone presumably died.
- Keenan went up Old Speck What the Heck and put cream cheese on another vehicle’s parts. Keller ate some pies.
- Julia and Hannah others went to Grafton Notch and ate pie and went swimming. BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD STAPLES STAPLES STAPLES STAPLES. THE BIG 4 (blood sweat nudity tears for future notice) ALL HAPPENED.
- Tanner Tucker Mickey Ian tkiff and Eric bouldered on boulders.
- Jake and others paddled up a bloody river. Bowdoin got shown (showed?) up.
- Amy B and Dalton and others did THE BIG OLE KATAHDIN. Fear was had.
- Owens and some other unknown (or maybe known by some of y’all) people climbed at Precipice (in ACADIA) and CRUSHED and had fun.
- Soren Austin Max Spencer Jeremy Maddy Martin Maeve Collette (and sorta Dylan) went up Mount Washington and it was pretty. No reports on whether they made it down. Nudity sweat blood and tears supposedly had, but I doubt it. Spencer is known to be a liar.
WHAT IS YET TO BE:
- Park is doing some crazy 30 mile hike with SARA LOTEMPLIO (aka tied for best president ever) this weekend, let him know if you’re interested.
- Hannah B and I and Michael Kramer and Stampy ‘Nat’ Joyce are going on the BEST TRIP IN THE WORLD which might be Katahdin but also might not but no matter what WILL BE THE BEST from a completely unbiased third-party observer.
- Spencer is leading a biking trip to common ground fair Friday after (his) classes.
- Volunteer at that there (Common Ground) fair, it’s fantastic.
- Brittany and Chloe are heading to the Whites (Wildcat to Moriah), lengthy hike and tons of fun and 6(!) 4000 footers.
- Acadia Sky Festival w/ Dylan and his +1 Lydia (DOUBLE DATE OPPORTUNITY). Let Dylan (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you’re interested in joining. p.s. Date not mandatory.
- Mo wants to do a night hike sometime this week!
- Sugarloaf Mountain Bike Festival (talk to Eli at email@example.com if interested) is this weekend.
- This Saturday, Grain Surfboards is having their Surf Revolutions party (movie premiere, food and beer, $15, many funs).
- Look out for roll clinics at the pool.
- Presi loop weekend before fall break? Maybe.
- The first Leader Training Trip of the year will be September 30th-October 2nd (Mount Blue?). A survey will be coming out soon for those interested in getting trained to become a COC leader. If you have any questions, direct them to Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Brittany (email@example.com).
- If you have any other questions about become a leader, ask Owens or Brittany or a K Council member, or just come to office hours (Mon-Thurs 7-8pm)!
CANOEING CANOEING CANOEING:
- Leader Canoe Training trip (trailers and canoeing) will be run by Ryan Linehan 9-5 this Sunday, talk to K Council (preferably Logan at firstname.lastname@example.org) ASAP if interested. Spots are limited; must have had a driver’s license for three years to get trailer certified.
- Just a reminder: office hours are 7-8 pm Mondays-Thursdays! Come to hang out or ask questions or do fun stuff or do homework or make voodoo dolls or whittle or play the bassoon or drive around in one of those yellow and orange play cars that kids have or sit and watch the wall. Also if anyone has one of those yellow and orange play cars that kids have please let me know.
- Trips Facilitation:
- If you’re a current leader or aspiring leader already on the outing-leaders list, check out the Leader Resources file that has been sent to you! It’s SICK.
- No membership fees.
- Talk to Abby (email@example.com) or Park (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need anything.
- We’ve got so much stuff you can all use for free (originally while taking notes I just wrote ‘WE’VE GOT THE MEATS’ for this bullet. Took me a little bit to figure out what I meant)!
- If you’re interested in being on gear committee, come to committee hours on Thursday 7-8 pm or just talk to the committee heads!
- If you’re interested in construction, they want you.
- Tent City Night: working with tents this Thursday 7-8pm.
- TENT TENT TENT TENT TENT TENT TENT TENT.
- Game night in two weekends?!?!$%!?//!
- There will be a family hike in the arb the Sunday of Parents Weekend at 11 am. Show up your family with your superior walking abilities that you’ve learned in your time in the COC.
- Family (COC) dinners every Sunday at 6 pm. All are welcome, as long as all are wearing fedoras.
- Whittling will probably happen soon (GET PUMPED).
- Not yet, don’t get too excited
It appears that’s all I’ve got for you. If you haven’t quite had enough, just contact me (preferred method GroupMe direct message or Facetime Audio) and I’ll send you audio recordings of myself directly quoting Remember the Titans with pronunciation errors. However, if for some reason you’ve had enough, then I guess it’s goodbye for now. Have a fantastically fun but decidedly disciplined week.
As obvious from the beautiful weather outside, it’s almost summer, meaning the COC has now had its final meeting of the year. We wistfully say goodbye to our trusty seniors as they go on to bigger and smaller things. But for now, let us enjoy the rain and cold for all its wonder. Here’s what I got:
- LTT (Leader Training Trip) was LIT (LIT). They hiked the Beehive and hardly anyone got stung (hopefully that joke is not a sign of my humor for the rest of these minutes).
- Abby and Fini led a white water rafting trip on the Kennebec! Supposedly it was awesome. All levels of rapids were rapidded.
- Pearse-Jacob and Jack Lynch climbed at El Precipe. ‘It was mellow’-Jack.
- Sara and Emma and George went canoeing on Friday! Then she stopped being an athlete. Then she and Ridgeway hiked French Mountain on Sunday – Sara’s last trip!!! Sara had a busy weekend.
- Logan took a chainsaw to some wood. AKA whittling.
- Eric hiked French Mountain. ‘Twas LIT.
- APT 110 minus Sara and Kimbo hiked Abraham (no spikes involved). Sun nudity possibly happened. Cat got caught twirling.
Stuff that’s gonna happen:
- CABIN SHINDIG/BARBECUE/AWARDS/FUNTIME- sign up on this form. It will be a fun and relaxing way to end the COC year and acknowledge the awesome stuff we’ve done this year.
- ROLL CLINIC on Tuesday from 7-9 pm. Sign ups go live at 8 pm tonight.
- If you have any questions about further leader processes, ask Julia and Anna.
- LTT might change to LIT, but also it probably won’t once Owens comes back.
- Outdoor Research sent us hella jackets. If anyone wants to send them a gift basket of mini-muffins, that would be much appreciated.
- T-shirts are being sold! Buy one or three or possibly DEFINITELY HELP SELL THEM.
- We are accepting gear donations, so if you have any stuff you don’t use anymore (especially hiking boots), we would really appreciate adding them to our gear room.
- If you’re volunteering for CCAK bbq, make sure you go. Also we need a couple more volunteers. Email email@example.com with any questions, comments, recipes, or photos of giraffes.
- Trying to reschedule adventure race, might not work. Who knows? Definitely not me.
- If you did sugar, Seth has stuff for you.
- Naked in Nature Contest has been completed, and it is time for voting.
- Vote in the office with paper and put it in the box. Buck will tally the votes before the cabin shindig. Has not been decided whether he will the tally the votes nudely.
- If you live in Boston, NY, DC, or San Fran area and want to go outside with alumni, talk to Logan!
- Sophie Gould has become a leader!
- Answers: FRANCE FOLD DIDGERIDON’T BECAUSE ALWAYS KEYES THIRD FLOOR IN THE FAR STALL BECAUSE IT HAS A SKYLIGHT BATHROOM PROBABLY STRONG PASS SO LIT BLUE STONE 7UP AND RED MYSTERY PROVE IT YEAH THAT WAS AGGRESSIVE BOXERS
It’s been an honor this past semester giving you all information in a (hopefully) humorous manner. While I am sad that this wonderful year is drawing to a close, I am already excited for the new opportunities of next year and all the ways that I will write them down and send them to you. This is Sexcretary Krumholz, signing off.
We getting close to the end of the year, which means it’s SEMI NICE OUT. aka It’s time to get outside and pretend it’s seventy degrees, even when it’s actually forty-five! Here’s what we got going on:
- Mo ‘Monique’ Legault went bouldering with Jack ‘Finch’ Lynch, Parky-Park ‘Park’ Park and Peej ‘Pearse’ Benson. It was in Bangor at a Boy Scout camp, apparently. Was tough, but Jack managed to find the rock.
- Rugby team had an afternoon in the arb and there may or may not have been a bonfire. Jack Sears went for a swim.
- Park, Lisa ‘Linda’ B-R, Chloe ‘Daphne’ Boehm and Sage ‘Anna’ Jordan attempted to go up Old Speck. Lots of ice, no spikes. Lisa and Sage went ‘swimming’. Not sure what that means.
- Julia ‘Nelson’ Nelson, Air ‘Julia’ von Ehr, Keenan ‘Spikes’ Boscoe and 4 others took an aggressive NJ ‘Burb to Tumbledown and saw some state of water. Keenan did not get hypothermia.
- APT 110 went stargazing and looked at the pink (for a little bit) moon. Ran into all 3 Bossis (a rare sight).
- Amy ‘alotemps’ LoTemplio’ went outside A LOT. Went to Hume Center with some Twix. Brit ‘Fiddle’ Biddle jumped in. Also on Earth Day she went into the arb.
- EnviroCo went to Dairy Cone. Julia N. got cookie dough. With sprinkles. A solid choice.
- Cassandra ‘Those quotes on the quote board don’t represent me accurately’ Biette went to Acadia.
Stuff that’s gonna happen:
- Polar Plunge at Hume Center Friday afternoon maybe?
- Some trip may happen on Friday for those who usually have no class on Thursdays.
- Cat ‘Dog’ McClure wants to lead a trip to some large mountain on Sunday, maybe one or more of the Bigelows. Amy wants to lead.
- Keenan might want to lead a trip. Possibly Mo will lead with him.
- Roll clinic tomorrow night 7-9 pm. Sign ups go live at 8 pm tonight.
- Sara ‘Thesis’ LoTemplio wants to lead her FINAL trip this Sunday.
- Logan ‘Bigelow’ Gillen will be leading a clinic on digital resources for trip planning this Thursday at office hours.
- LTT is rumored to be defined as ‘lit’.
- CABIN SHINDIG will happen next Sunday the 8th at 5pm!! Sign up HERE.
Buddies of the Bigelows:
- Nothing. Julia left when we called on her.
- Wednesday meeting 7 pm.
- Gear donations! If you have extra gear in your room that you don’t use anymore, GIFT IT TO THE COC so others can use it and enjoy it!
- Adventure race did not happen. Email Hannah ‘Slightly Taller’ Bossi if you haven’t signed up and want to. It will probably happen at some point in the future.
- Colby Cares Day is this weekend! Sign up here. We also need 5 people to lead clinics there, so look out for an email with that form.
- No events meeting this week.
- Hardy Girls event this Tuesday 4-5:30 pm, setting up tents and such. Talk to Cassandra if you’re interested!
- Just finished final boiling.
- If you worked for them at all, you’ll get some stuff! Hoorah!
- Buck ‘Loudest Skier on the Mountain’ Auchincloss got a trophy for the future winner! Apparently it’s a perfect trophy. I really hope it doesn’t have any form of him naked as part of it.
- At the next meeting, we will be voting for the best nudity!
- Keenan likes this room and wants to make it better. He wants to get a crew together to TRANSFORM THE OFFICE. Talk to him if you want to help or if you like talking to Keenan.
- We will be tabling soon to sell t-shirts, sugaring shirts, and hats, as well as receive gear donations. Keep an eye out for an email about that.
- IF YOU WILL BE ON CAMPUS THIS SUMMER and are interested in helping us out by being either gear manager of cabin manager for the summer, LET K-COUNCIL KNOW ASAP. You will receive at least one donut. Actually, I can’t promise that.
- Vote here for cabin manager.
Hope you all enjoyed reading the words I typed. If you didn’t, that pretty much negates my whole Monday afternoon, so please do. Have a wonderful week, and if you see a squirrel, feed it a cookie. If not for it, then for me.
The campus is inundated with accepted students. The weather is beautiful. So get outside, soak up some sun, and mention David Greene’s hair to as many prospies as possible. And maybe even go on a COC trip! Here’s what we got:
- Logan and Keenan had a date/trip on Saddleback! They did 11 miles on the AT; ’twas spherical. 3/4 elements (blood, sweat, nudity), and GHOST WIND. Seriously, there was a freaky mini ghost tornado.
- Lex and Sister Lex and Emma went to reggae fest. Also, it appears Lex was here.
- Dos Frenches:
- Enviroco painted a lot of people green on French, but not Cassandra because she’s ‘not into that’. Paint might be permanent.
- Rachel and co. went on a “better” French Mountain trip and got leaves in their car from an unknown source (Hannah Bossi). Rachel ate a LOT of brie and caught a crunkfish (singular of crayfish). There was a dog. Estimated ⅔ ticks (confirmed) killed.
- Jack was sitting in Olin and hiked Mount Phillips. Uncertain of the connection.
- Dos Saras (both slotemps):
- Campus climbing. Looked dangerous. Wasn’t dangerous. Descent of Mount Alfond. These are all (incomplete) sentences that have been written about APT 110’s adventures this weekend.
- Hiked Tumbledown with Mama LoTemps.
- Kel hit me in the head with a wiffle ball. Might have a small dent in my head.
- Spencer got a thigh sunburn. Motion to change his names to RedLegs.
- Motion to change Spencer’s name passed through Executive Sexcretary Order. Yay democracy.
Stuff that’s gonna happen:
- Keenan and Julia are leading a trip to Tumbledown to reenact the movie Tumbledown (coincidence, eh?). Hopefully the pond will be there.
- Abby and Joe/Fini/maybe someone else is leading a white water rafting trip in two weekends! Be on the lookout for sign ups.
- Jack may be leading a bouldering trip this weekend!
- Williams Outing Club can’t fill a trip, so they need us to fill 7/10 spots. Carter Notch Hut. WONDERFUL. Look out for more info than that incredible description just gave you.
- Hannah Peters will lead Old Speck with Chloe this Sunday.
- Maddy and Anna are leading a trip to Blueberry(?) Mountain this Sunday.
- ROLL CLINIC tomorrow night from 7-9 pm. Sign ups go live TONIGHT at 8 pm.
Buddies of the Bigelows:
- There is a new form to send out before pre-trip meetings; ask Julia and Anna for details.
- T-shirts on the way!
- Apparently people used lots of microspikes, which is weird because it’s warm.
- Adventure race sign ups due tonight!
- Colby Cares Day is April 30th from 9-12 in the morning, make sure to sign up here!
- CCAK bbq sign ups are still open, sign up for an event here.
- Club fair tonight 8-9:30 in Pulver. TABLE FOR IT.
- Maeve is leader!
- Answers: CMC IN LOPO THE SINGLE BATHROOMS AS MANY AS I COULD CRANBERRY JUICE ELEPHANT SIZED PUPPY CRUMPLE PETER JAMES ROCK CLIMBING WITH MO DIDGERIDOO
- Many people ran for Bigelow Buddy positions! Vote on Cassandra’s email from last night.
- Gear candidates- Chris Marcello, Abby Mulligan, Park Cawley, Kaitlin Volk
- Events candidates- Hannah Peters, Keenan Boscoe
- Trips Facilitation candidates- Owens Strawinski, Anna Caughron, Brittany Bossi, Monique Legault
- Sugaring Candidates- Ryan Clemens, Lydia Wasmer
- Community Outreach Candidate- Rachel Bird
- PLATFORMS FOR CABIN MANAGER DUE THIS SUNDAY AT 7PM
Well, it’s dinnertime, so I guess these minutes are about as good as they’re gonna get. After all, food first, family second, safety third, cheese fourth. Adios, and may you all be blessed with a bounty of brie. And some candy for you lactose intolerants out there.
The eminent statesman Gunther has returned to his true home, finally saved from his treacherous captors. But the kidnapping will not go unpunished. The feud rages on. Also, a meeting happened:
So many things we have done:
- Eli went to Tucks last Sunday and it was awesome. Great day. Also he went surfing today. Eli’s been busy.
- Keenan, Abby and Kaitlin did some stuff in the ‘dacks (which I’ve heard aren’t as good as the Whites). They failed to summit a very large mountain. No types of spikes were involved.
- Chloe and Eli and others went on some sort of trip with a wolfish individual. I think they skied. Eli tried to become Father Ryan. Father Ryan slept on the floor to relive college glory days. No knowledge of whether Ryan took part in other old college pastimes. Also not sure why Ryan didn’t have a bed in college.
- Park and the CMC went to Red River Gorge with the glorious Gunther. Minimal clothes were involved, apparently.
- COC and women’s rugby coordinated a trip and went to Maiden’s Cliff in Camden! There was snow! Also SWEAT. There may have also been a good old-fashioned mooning. Which is the same as a new-fashioned mooning, but in a car.
- APT 110 hiked up Bretton Woods for the sunset. “Kim rode Jenna into the sunset”-slotemps
- Amy went to Utah. Horses were ridden. Two ice creams one day. “Nothing you say makes sense”-slotemps to alotemps. Ah the wonders of sibling banter. Also there was apple cider.
- Spencer the Schmoozer and Sophie brought some never-evers (including Johanna) up to Sugarloaf and some people learned to ski! All things happened (B,S,T,N).
- Sara did some banana suit tomahawking. Don’t ask me what that means.
- Anna and Cassandra went to Death Valley and biked and flowers and low things and sea level and salt. I’m already tired of taking notes and it’s the first category.
- CMC competition happened Saturday! Bates and Bowdoin were there and climbed some stuff. There were lots of people and normal amounts of hammocks and slack lines.
- Emma, Brother Emma and Air Julia did not ski Tucks. They had no spikes. BUT there was lots of tree-hugging and lots of butt-sliding. So definitely a successful trip.
- Wow that was a lot of things.
So many things we’re gonna do:
- Logan wants to go up Saddleback and have a hot chocolate party. Let Logan know if you want to co-lead.
- Abby and Joe are leading rafting sometime in the future!
- Buck and Mo are leading a tumbledown trip on Saturday. Possibility of it being a Sasquatch hike, so if you’d like to meet a mythical creature, this is the chance of a lifetime.
- Julia and Keenan want to reenact the movie Tumbledown sometime this weekend (maybe Sunday).
- COC-CMC collaboration trip may happen, depending on how the feud goes.
- Julia and Sam (myself!) will be leading a trip up BIG SPENCER MOUNTAIN within the next couple weeks. The main task of the trip will be to discover how large the mountain’s nose is. Spencer will not be allowed on the trip.
- Spring Leader Training Trip is happening the weekend of April 30th-May 1st! Sign up here.
- MLRC Green is Not White retreat this Sunday! We will be leaving campus around 11:30. Dad (Ryan) and his kids will be there! We will be back by 5 pm. YOU SHOULD GO ON THIS. Sign up here.
- Anna is leading a bowdrill clinic on Wednesday from 7-8 pm! It’s gonna be awesome.
- WHITTLING WEDNESDAY RETURNS IN FULL FORCE THIS WEDNESDAY. Come carve some wood.
Best Bigelow Buddies Around:
- Meeting on wednesday, hopefully better than last week.
- T-shirt designs have been sent in. Jeff(?) is cool. We will have t-shirts.
- CCAK barbecue is coming up! The theme is Camp CCAK and they’re looking for people to lead outdoorsy activities. Hannah will send out a sign up sheet soon, so keep a lookout for it.
- Adventure Race will happen next weekend! More info will be coming soon.
- TGR movie contract is looking good; should be happening soon.
- Social Justice Sunday is becoming COC Storytime!
- NAKED IN NATURE CONTEST IS UP. Prize is as of yet undecided.
- Send more naked in nature photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Logan and Spencer read their platforms for the presidency! You can vote here.
Well, that’s all I got folks. Hope you read this all in an Australian accent, or else you really missed the gist of it. But then again, none of us are perfect. Except Ryan. He’s perfect.