hello there y’all,
if you have any functioning senses then you’ve surely noticed the aggressively luminous foliage, the sensation of crisp fall air, and the pervasive odor of decomposing organic matter. isn’t it lovely. anyway, it’s only here for the next couple weeks so enjoy this fleeting glimpse of otherworldly color in an entranced stupor. procrastinate, dump your work on someone else, clear your schedule, and get outside! or you’ll regret you didn’t when it’s late march and the latest storm just dropped another foot of snow on campus.
adventure > academics
what we don did
- bentley played some frisbee against deceivingly good alumni
- joseph did a woodsman demo and also went up french mountain and saw the milky way!
- jackie went to the camden hills, there was blood sweat and tears from her parents
- michaela gazed @ some stars on friday and also HARVESTED leaves at quarry road
- someone went down to boothbay and also checked out french mountain
- i’m sorry i don’t know your name pls email me if this was you
- someone else went on a run today and also climbed a tree (props from soren)
- i’m doubly sorry i also don’t know your name pls email me too
- bentley (technically last weekend) climbed katahdin! hannah phillips was there too
- it was sent
- blood sweat tears and SUMMIT NUDITY
- incredible and worthy of praise
- soren and molly and kaitlin and max went for a dip in great pond on friday night and the water was nipp(l)y
- soren also went up katahdin and the knife edge was sharp #ouch
things we gon do
- fall break trips mostly
- NEXT weekend grace andrews wants to go up rumford whitecap which she said two weeks ago but she was lying then and she’d like a colby certified co leader for that pls
- megan wants a night hike this week? jk that’s a lie but she wants to hike the PRECIPICE next weekend
- soren wants also to hike snow mountain
- janky fire tower + janky dirt roads + janky 3970′ = fun fun fun
- LL bean is doing college night wed 6-10 pm, gear giveaways coupons and scavenger hunt, maybe a trip there? maybe not. just know it exists
- probably mostly inside but there would be an outside component
- informally michaela would like to HARVEST more leaves since she is insatiable and it is PEAK leaf szn
- jackie florman wants to shadow someone!! attn leaders
fall break gear
- @fall break leaders, group gear was due last week and personal gear is due sometime this week and after this is sorted out, all students may check out gear
- so you can’t check out gear for non coc trips yet
- wait til wednesday please
- is coming 28th and 29th
- guess who’s talking about it?
- info session and presentation at the end of our meeting
- they like to hire colby students to lead their trips
- rolling review process this year!
- plan ur trip and send it to k council
- we’ll look it over and get back to you as soon as we can
- more to follow! look for an email from megan about this very subject
- COC is hosting one! with the now official “contra dance club”
- october 26!
- in page commons!
- is fun!
- would recommend!
- there MAY be alcoholic beverages for those of the requisite age!
- super fun again and there’s a caller and you don’t have to be good at dancing, you just have to OBEY directions
- planet earth! thursday at eight! in bixler!
- backpack or snackpack??
- backpack – 7
- snackpack – 16
- this was an obvious choice
- “if you vote for backpack, you deserve to be rejected” -Maddie Carlini
- ABSENT. lame
- they’re planning an LTT or two and also WFA (ostensibly)
- fall break gear (look above ya dingus)
- ABSENT. lame lame lame
- there should be a fall break day trip? and also maybe a thanksgiving trip? if you wanna lead that last one talk to addie thompson
cmon bigelow buds y’all need to step up ur attendance
that is all.
hello crew. welcome to the minutes.
the sand’s winding down on the metaphorical going-outside-at-colby hourglass. grain by grain, second by second, we inch closer to reading period, then finals, then freedom. greet it with fear or welcome, but be prepared nevertheless for time’s unstoppable crawl.
now for some fun COC things!
things we done did
- zach went on the ltt to acadia and it was “fun”
- almost everyone is sunburnt
- michael stone went and hiked mt. philip? missed the trailhead but then didn’t miss it and then there were some folks with RC cars which sounds less than lnt to me
- ian went up mt. washington, also got sunburnt
- max was generally outside during the warm days
- kaitlin went to catch some peepers after the steminist dinner with her advisor / boss / prof
- soren biked around east vassalboro, which is east of vassalboro
- jeremy biked around oakland
- we shall assume it was also pretty ok
- hannah played some frisbee golf around campus
- simultaneously, julia was enjoying the sun with ms. frisbee, a dog. what are the odds.
- bentley and addie got wfa’d and he got struck by a bee and she got stung by lightning
- colby dancers was on friday and it kicked butt
things we gon’ do
- soren and megan are going up round top on sunday!
- addie and hannah are going to the bigelows that day too!
- max and grace might go somewhere next weekend!
- taryn really wants her co-lead!
- soren and martin might go up french mountain or something like that!
- it has ended. keep your submissions.
- BUT be on the lookout for sign ups to table in the spa! we’ll be selling t-shirts and voting on the photos simultaneously
- yeah that’s happening
- posters need to go up
- no man’s land film festival
- rad women doing rad things, but all genders are invited
- in two weeks! julia wants YOUR help in setting this up
future is now!
- congrats to our new bigelow buds!
- there’s a lot of them!
- diversity and inclusion:
- addie thompson and grace oh-willeke
- max abramson and taryn waite
- events and community outreach
- grace neumiller and jared fong
- trips facilitation
- emma goldberg-courtney and macey broadwater
future is future! (kinda)
- camden comradeships are due tomorrow at noon? nine? not sure. either way it’ll be closed by the time you read this
- shrek or moose
- shrek 8
- moose 19
- c’mon people, opposable thumbs
- did you buy anything for the outing club this year? wanna be reimbursed?
- GET REIMBURSED
- talk to anna
- exact dates are important
- hey there’s a lot of newly wfa’d and ltt’d folks
- they want shadows and co-leads so give em up!
- they will be added to outing-leaders email list, exciting
- jennifer pharr davis!
- talk this coming friday at 7:00 PM and then a hike on the next day!
- let me repeat: JENNIFER PHARR DAVIS
- JENNIPHARR DAVIS
- she’s great and everyone should go to her talk!
- ice is out, cabin is accessible, let’s goooo
- kaitlin wants to paint the floors this coming weekend
- evidently this is a process so stay posted
just as time slowly steals seconds from under our noses, it has also taken these minutes. they are now property of time, and it’s not happy you’re nosing through them. pal.
it is i, your trusty sexcretary, once more.
in the last week’s passing, some of the more astute among us may have noticed the gradual recession of the ice, rising of the mercury, and things of that nature. preposterous, really.
some call it spring, some call it between-winter, but whatever it is, it’s fleeting, so soak it in like a sponge in the desert
things we done did
- taryn and max and others got WFRed
- grace and grace and chris went on an earth day hike to philip and sat outside. go earth.
- taryn sat outside and got very sunburnt, if you couldn’t tell
- chloe and brittany and co ate some sour patch kids on french mtn
- michael stone went to acadia, cadillac was closed but that couldn’t stop the sunrise, also got sunburnt
- anna went on an arb run
- emma took her dog on a run and went to the beach
- her DOG which is a GOLDEN RETRIEVER named ALBUS
- good boy
- kaitlin made some smores with some prospies and we answered questions and things of that nature
- chloe and grace and hannah and soren and a whole slew of other folks did the club fair, parents were very nosy, asking about funding and stuff
- soren went up french mountain with his mom and his lil sister who’ll be here next year so be on the lookout
things we gon do
- julia still wants to go up big spencer, maybe leave friday or so?
- big ol mtn and it’s got a firetower
- soren wants to retrieve a bench from the arb, perhaps informally
- michael still wants to play wiffleball
- hannah could be coerced into doing something, possibly for a co lead
- hannah also wants to go to the bigelows with addie in a couple weeks
- we have received photos
- they are good
- they just have to be nature photos
- don’t even have to be good
- closes friday
no man’s land film festival
- may 11th @ 7PM
- films about women doing rad things in the outdoors
- other colleges also invited
- congrats to michael, soren (that’s me!), and megan on their positions!
- let’s elect some new folks shall we? here’s everyone running for bigelow buddyships
- events and community outreach
- trips facilitation
- diversity and inclusion
- voting will open soon and close tuesday night!
- camden comradeships are due next meeting (eg, food manager, social media)
- how would you eat a sim card
- by yourself: 8
- split up: 19
- you people are disappointing
- as promised, advantages of each:
- SOLO PROS
- don’t have to share your shame
- can eat at your own pace
- can repeat if you want without having to gather a group
- GROUP PROS
- you don’t have to eat the entire thing
- you can pick people who’d cheer you on
- you have someone to explain the situation to the people at the emergency room
anna found a phone in her car
- we tried using siri
- we tried plugging it into a computer
- it has a background that says ‘sherm queen’
- it thinks it’s july 24th
- if you have any information regarding this phone, please contact anna via smoke signal
- LTT is this upcoming weekend!
- we’re looking for tricky situations or free lessons that COC leaders have encountered, for use in future leader training
- fill it out please! multiple times!
- jennifer pharr davis is coming may 4th! get excited
- all other committees are dormant
that’s all for this past week. some nifty stuff happened. some nifty stuff is about to happen. it’s up to you to seek it out, capture it, and extract all possible fun out of it before you leave its desiccated husk behind.
your newly renewed secretary
hello there people of the outside,
i greet you once more to whisper tales of adventure past and hint at promises of adventure future. read on, for knowledge is power:
what we done did
- sam kwon went skiing in the chic chocs over spring break, then stabbed himself while on duty while whittling (no stitches needed)
- michael and megan and some other folks did wfa, got in a boating accident / nearly got struck by lightning in the process
- grace boiled some sap – “it’s coming along”
- hannah, sophie janeway, and brittany hiked round top and had an icy ole time
- also stepped in human poop
- also suffered through a hot ball, whatever that is
- in summary: rough day for brittany
- hannah went up saddleback with max and sj, it was very snowy, also sunny
- dom went to mt. megunticook, butt slid down
- emma went on an arb walk and it was snowy
- soren and james and max went up caribou mountain and saw a couple of moose (!)
- frisbee was played in brunswick
- michael and sam and co played wiffleball, good attendance
- park’s team lost, despite his stellar pitching
what we gon do
- dominick wants to lead a frog walk / clean up trash in the arb to celebrate earth day
- chloe and brittany are going to lead a french mountain nite highk
- emma wants to lead a sunrise hike tuesday or thursday, looking for a co lead
- julia and sam want to lead a trip up big spencer mountain, possibly this weekend, possibly next, there’s a firetower
- if not, julia is amenable to other options but also she has knee pain
- same info as last week
- we’re holding a photo contest for your pictures from both coc and personal hikes this year!
- look out for an email with further details
- limit three submissions per person
- winner gets eternal glory
admitted students s’mores
- sga wants us to do this
- we’re doing this
- some night this coming week
- look for sign ups to volunteer to hang out with awkward high schoolers
new hand warming technique
- ask dominick
- looks like that one dude from charlie brown
the future is female!
- congrats kaitlin and julia on their incoming presidencies, may they rule with iron fists
- secretary platforms:
- treasurer platforms:
- vote if you’re registered! voting closes at 5PM on tuesday!
- upcoming: bigelow buddy platforms are due (diversity and inclusion, events and community outreach, sugaring, gear, cabin, and trips facilitation)
- the week after, camden comrade self-nominations are due (ex. – conservation, social media)
- onion or funyun
- onion: 20
- funyun: 5
- pretty darn decisive if you ask me
- new cross country skis!
- also maps are now inventoried
- if you wanna engrave pots / tattoo max, come help out gear on thursday
- stuff is upcoming
- contra dance occurred and was fun, according to eyewitnesses
- jennifer pharr davis is coming!
- friday, may 4th
- talk that evening at 7:00 PM
- followed by hike to mt. phillips the next morning ~10ish
- congrats to those who are now wfa certified as of this weekend
- next weekend is the wfr wrap up
- weekend after that is more wfa and also a leader training trip
- sign ups are closed for both. lo siento
- first weekend in may, kaitlin wants to paint the floors (looking for help!)
- second weekend of boiling has passed
miscellaneous things that i can’t categorize
- there’ll be a fly fishing clinic for earth week! stay posted for more info
- also a film screening on thursday night on human-caused extinction, that’ll prob be advertised more too
and that’s that. riveting stuff, i tell you. deserving of a bookmark, even.