thanks for tuning in.
jack frost? more like JERK frost am i right? he has come to visit us with icicles: on the trees, falling off of buildings, drooping from your beard, in your hearts (ouch). what a wondrous gift he has brought for us! from the sparkly whites of the magical snowflakes to the daring blues of PPD’s road salt to the graying of your freezing skin, he has brought us a rainbow of JOY. so snuggle up to your radiators and hunker down because winter has only just begun.
anyway, here are my minutes! yes haw!
what we done did
- keenan went arbshoeing
- perkins brook is frozen, he heard rushing water
- taryn went skiing on chapel hill
- there was a jump! she jumped! maybe 3 seven-up bottles high
- “it was actually pretty good”
- joseph snowshoed from ams to bobs and swandove into the banks
- larkin tried to hike coburn. it was really really cold and pretty
- they also hit moxie falls!
- “uh i uh like coburn”
- max went cross country skiing with the rents
- it was fun. taryn was there
- louise has great technique. stu has endurance.
- soren went to the mountain with bentley and john
- they rediscovered bentley’s cave!
- challenging elevation gain
- michael and brittany went to the ladies delighthouse and walked on the frozen lake
- there were people snow ice fishing
what we gonna do
- max and bentley are doing the “1st annual Julia Von Ehr in absentia hike”
- sunrise hike, french mountain, early bird (PANCAKES)
- michael would totally lead a trip this weekend not friday
- max feels obligated by the grips of campus life to lead cross country skiing at 10am on saturday, looking for a co-friend
- it’s happening! we have s p o t s
- sign up here by monday night
- we got a sign up. and another one! oh MY MY
- an essential step in the leader process
- from saturday-sunday on great pond in the COC cabin!
- we will be toasty and learn important leadership skills and be toasty
diversity and inclusion
- we are holding an election for this vacancy at the beginning of spring semester
- this bigelow buddy is important in making the COC a more inclusive space
- involves collaborating with PCB and the Colby community
learn to ski
- 3 different types!
- cross country ski
- 10am at quarry road! classic or skate ski
- telemark skiing
- must know how to make parallel turns and a hockey stop on alpine skis
- sign ups here!
- pre trip meeting on tuesday! if you sign up, show up
- alpine skiing
- at sugarloaf!
- run by outdoor education, spots chosen via lottery
- this friday AND sunday
- check out ColbyNow for sign ups
- we can outfit you with coats, gloves, snow pants, hats, smiles, etc.
- we just got 6 passes to quarry road! incredible!
- for cross country skiing!
- you can check these out during office hours and return them after use
- AMAZING NEATURE FUN YAY
how many emus does it take to defeat a moose?
- five 2
- fifteen 6
- thirty 4
- moose are indestructible 1
might need to see this one in action
- taking a field trip to home depot oh jeez
- duct tape and shelves are on the docket
- we will be flush with duct tape ideally
- we have gear! come check it out! heh
- game night tuesday at 8!
- movie night thursday at 8!
- def out there prepping for a bountiful syrup harvest
- pls dont go this weekend
- there is still wooood
- winter LTT
- keenan is excited
- REVIVAL OF WHITTLING
- wednesday at 7 (for real this time)
that is all for now my friends.
hello krusty krew!
over winter break I am sure we all salivated over the thought of gliding effortlessly across the smooth, shimmering ice of johnson pond. alas, it remains buried in snow. BUT, colby has thoughtfully prepared an alternative: the walk between the spa and dana. come borrow some skates from our gear room and enjoy this thrilling chute of salty, dirt-laden ice! alternatively, borrow some cross country skis and glide across the still-snowy paths of frat row! and if you’re not in the mood for that, then come check out some gloves and a winter coat to finally make the cold of east tolerable! the options are limitless!
anyway here’s what we did and what we may or may not do in the future:
stuff we done did
- joseph went snowshoeing up french mountain and then went to camden and skipped some stones (over 20)
- pls note that the beach in camden has prime skippy stones
- larkin went outside
- last night
- it was night time
- reportedly cold
- megan re learned how to cross country ski to quarry road with max
- bentley went up a fire tower, it was windy and cold and sunsety
- some ppl went to the loaf
- max and soren and austin went mostly up east kennebago mountain
- kaitlin is mostly proud
- “there is shame in turning around”
- charlie raced in cross country skis in vermont today
- bentley hiked up to see some wind caves over break
- over chrimas michael ran around outside in the dark
- max also went skiing over winter break and went to a hut or two
- soren climbed the peak above the nubble over break
- kaitlin walked her dog and found a dead deer (oh dear)
stuff we gon do
- bentley and soren will ascend the mountain! on thursday
- max is interested in leading a skiing trip
- learn to ski
- or adventure
- megan, on saturday, would like to go to round top or sanders hill
- maybe with michael
- casual lil friendly snowshoe
- soren and especially kaitlin will ascend coburn mountain on saturday
- PEOPLE should lead these requested hikes:
- the annual early bird trip
- which is actually in the works
- ice fishing
- leader training trip!
- a necessary step in becoming an outing club leader!
- two weekends from now! 25th and 26th of january
- we shall travel to the outing club cabin and live in relative warmth
- AND learn about general leadership things
- like how to manage groups and how to set up a tent and other important things
- first trip this weekend
- you know if you are on it
- there is a second one feb 16-17
- professionally guided
night of 1000 glow sticks
- this wednesday!
- maybe not 1000 glowsticks
- but people encouraged! to go outside! and enjoy themselves!
- meet at COC office at 7 to pick up gear
- ice skating on Johnson Pond, sledding, snowshoeing in the Arb
- if you want to HELP, fill out this form
- telemark skiing downhill (free the heel!)
- we have tele skis!
- our ryan linehan will be leading these to teach the populace
- first one this wednesday! check your inboxes for info! sign up here!
- must know how to parallel turn and hockey stop on alpine skis
learn to ski day!
- learn to ski program at Sugarloaf
- fully funded by Colby!
- limited spots, check ColbyNow/ outing emails for signups
- it is SUPER FUN
- we have warm gear you can borrow 🙂
- we will be sponsoring a book club
- “Black Faces, White Spaces: Reimagining the Relationship of African Americans to the Great Outdoors” by Carolyn Finney
- reading a few chapters a week
- meeting tuesdays 6-7 in Dana Camp Room
- car horns 4
- car antlers 18
- entirely obvious
- another trip to sugaring farm is coming!
- sugaring fact: during the day you need temperatures above freezing and in the night you need below freezing temperatures for sugaring
- it’s there
- in winter: only accessible if you get dropped off and picked up
- new furniture is coming
- there is woooooooddddddd
- we got new sleds! yay
- they are cool and foam and snow SCREAMERS
- we will attempt to wax all the XC skis in the next week
- more info coming- we need your HELP HELP HELP
- one of our d&i heads has stepped into a new role
- so we need a new one!
- bring us your passion
- we will be holding elections this spring
- stay tuned my dudes
- prepare your platform for the vote
- game night tuesday at 8
- movie night thursday at 8
- its BACK
- this wednesday at 7
- he is the social media guy
- send in your outdoor photos!
- he wants cool social media stuff! like stories
- DM them to @colbyoutingclub
- shameless plug: follow our insta it’s gonna be rad
until next time!
it is the grayest of days. color once abounded and the hills flowed with life, but bleaker days are upon us now. soon, snow will twirl, streams will atrophy, and skies will darken at a truly ungodly hour. gather up your little acorns and hunker down for the long, long winter.
embrace the void! seek out the marcescent beeches, the crunchiest of desiccated leaves, and the crispest fall air! lead a trip, sign up for a trip, or say screw it to trips and venture out solo!
that is all from soren’s soapbox. enjoy your week!*
*unless you have a big ol’ geology module due, in which case, tough luck.
what we done did
- jackie went to acadia on the leader training trip and then people raised hands if they were on it and man there will a lot of people. definitely sweat, apparently some blood, metaphorical tears due to ice
- someone and dominick went up french mountain after class on the really warm / nice day, since there was only one this week (rip)
- michael saw blood sweat and tears at a half marathon in the scandalous state of new hampshire
- grace and soren and chris went up the bigelows (in carrabassett not boothbay) and it was very snowy. snowballs were thrown but frostnip was held at bay
- that is all. y’all have room for improvement
what we gon do
- on saturday alex and megan will reattempt saddleback!
- michael and soren on sunday, will go look at a syrup making operation in Industry, ME! there will be a newspaper there apparently? also maybe a side trip to a trail to look at some water / trees
- max wants to lead a trip on saturday. kaitlin is picky but wants to do that. sam kwon also wants to co lead so he takes priority. nevermind he is busy. kaitlin is back to being #1
- grace might maybe want to do something chilly / chill on sunday eve. nothin strenuous
- michael stone would be down for a night hike?? sometime this week?? to explore something?? michael kramer may want to co lead . michael squared.
- wilderness first aid sign ups have completed
- 26 people signed up !
- saturday and sunday
- if you got into the training, you will find out on monday!
- CER is running a wfr/wemt course the first and second weekends in february!
- and we are helping them with sign ups!
- express your interest here!
- it’s like a more in depth wfa!
- if you have questions talk to sam max or taryn since they took it last year
- not entirely subsidized by the club 🙁 but we can help in some situations!
- those situations would be:
- if your WFA is up for recertification AND
- you promise to lead two trips for us in the next calendar year THEN
- we can pay for $150 of it
- there is a coc thanksgiving trip! the trip is full but there are spots on the waitlist!
- they’re staying at the coc cabin and doing some hikes and then camping in acadia and it sounds FUN
- come help the coc celebrate the giving of thanks!
- and help out the dock!
- at the cabin!
- bring some food because we’ll all devour it after the dock-taking-out
new events head!
- it is bentley
- he has risen!
- it will be next monday at 6!
- 3 hours with ryan linehan in diamond!
- fun and educational and REQUIRED to lead trips with snow on the ground
- look for an email / a spot in the weekly email about it
- ALSO a training in winter camping
- in jan plan or early spring
- for coc leaders
- learn how to lead a trip! in the winter! in the snow! overnight!
what matters to me and why!
- ryan linehan’s is this wednesday at noon in bobby silberman!
- go go go!
- use it in place of a meal swipe!
- bigelow or smallehigh?
- bigelow 8
- smallehigh 17
- stunning results tbh
- stay tuned for COCSGIVING INFO
- AND trivia night!!!!
- also welcome tley meyer
- snowpants arrived! they are teal. not green @megan
- second order of gear this week???? stay tuned
- coc helicopter (cocicopter?)
- LTT was a smashing success
- it still exists
- but it is not plowed
- diversity and inclusion
- absent but they helped put together the thanksgiving trip!
that is all from me! don’t forget to hmu with your hate mail!
hello there y’all,
if you have any functioning senses then you’ve surely noticed the aggressively luminous foliage, the sensation of crisp fall air, and the pervasive odor of decomposing organic matter. isn’t it lovely. anyway, it’s only here for the next couple weeks so enjoy this fleeting glimpse of otherworldly color in an entranced stupor. procrastinate, dump your work on someone else, clear your schedule, and get outside! or you’ll regret you didn’t when it’s late march and the latest storm just dropped another foot of snow on campus.
adventure > academics
what we don did
- bentley played some frisbee against deceivingly good alumni
- joseph did a woodsman demo and also went up french mountain and saw the milky way!
- jackie went to the camden hills, there was blood sweat and tears from her parents
- michaela gazed @ some stars on friday and also HARVESTED leaves at quarry road
- someone went down to boothbay and also checked out french mountain
- i’m sorry i don’t know your name pls email me if this was you
- someone else went on a run today and also climbed a tree (props from soren)
- i’m doubly sorry i also don’t know your name pls email me too
- bentley (technically last weekend) climbed katahdin! hannah phillips was there too
- it was sent
- blood sweat tears and SUMMIT NUDITY
- incredible and worthy of praise
- soren and molly and kaitlin and max went for a dip in great pond on friday night and the water was nipp(l)y
- soren also went up katahdin and the knife edge was sharp #ouch
things we gon do
- fall break trips mostly
- NEXT weekend grace andrews wants to go up rumford whitecap which she said two weeks ago but she was lying then and she’d like a colby certified co leader for that pls
- megan wants a night hike this week? jk that’s a lie but she wants to hike the PRECIPICE next weekend
- soren wants also to hike snow mountain
- janky fire tower + janky dirt roads + janky 3970′ = fun fun fun
- LL bean is doing college night wed 6-10 pm, gear giveaways coupons and scavenger hunt, maybe a trip there? maybe not. just know it exists
- probably mostly inside but there would be an outside component
- informally michaela would like to HARVEST more leaves since she is insatiable and it is PEAK leaf szn
- jackie florman wants to shadow someone!! attn leaders
fall break gear
- @fall break leaders, group gear was due last week and personal gear is due sometime this week and after this is sorted out, all students may check out gear
- so you can’t check out gear for non coc trips yet
- wait til wednesday please
- is coming 28th and 29th
- guess who’s talking about it?
- info session and presentation at the end of our meeting
- they like to hire colby students to lead their trips
- rolling review process this year!
- plan ur trip and send it to k council
- we’ll look it over and get back to you as soon as we can
- more to follow! look for an email from megan about this very subject
- COC is hosting one! with the now official “contra dance club”
- october 26!
- in page commons!
- is fun!
- would recommend!
- there MAY be alcoholic beverages for those of the requisite age!
- super fun again and there’s a caller and you don’t have to be good at dancing, you just have to OBEY directions
- planet earth! thursday at eight! in bixler!
- backpack or snackpack??
- backpack – 7
- snackpack – 16
- this was an obvious choice
- “if you vote for backpack, you deserve to be rejected” -Maddie Carlini
- ABSENT. lame
- they’re planning an LTT or two and also WFA (ostensibly)
- fall break gear (look above ya dingus)
- ABSENT. lame lame lame
- there should be a fall break day trip? and also maybe a thanksgiving trip? if you wanna lead that last one talk to addie thompson
cmon bigelow buds y’all need to step up ur attendance
that is all.