welcome back to the 2018 edition of the colby outing club! get your (or our!) snowshoes ready cause the cold frozen white snow is here to stay.
what we done did
- lilli played on a frozen canadian lake, did not turn into a mountie
- alex learned how to tele ski!
- ian lost his phone on a mountain
- megan learned how to cross country ski
- dominick hiked in the camden hills
- dean found a frozen lake with creepy fishermen, also dogs eating chocolate? confusing story to be honest.
- nat went arb-shoeing
- max went sledding on a day last week at quarry road
- lots of people went skiing, woo
- hannah and anna and taryn went snowshoeing in the arb (good riddles were told)
- soren and his dad tried snowshoeing up a mountain, didn’t make it
- addie went rock climbing
- james went up mt. moriah with some people
- soren crashed his car!
what we gon do
- max wants to lead a trip!
- hannah wants to lead multiple trips this week! preferably short xc ski or snowshoeing!
- max wants to lead a xc clinic at quarry road this week
- soren wants to go up old speck this weekend!
- sam wants to lead a trip on sunday, shorter, to get someone their co-lead, and also a shorter trip!
- over jan plan break + one day in april (the 21st)
- wilderness first responder, a level up from wilderness first aid
- “it’s great” – sam
- stay tuned
- during office hours on monday! tomorrow!
- come! learn! mingle!
- @ges students @people who wanna learn
- winter ascents of maine’s tallest peak! with professional guides!
- “very cool” – max
- jan 27 – 28, lottery style sign ups
- also one in mid to late february
- fully subsidized! wowee!
poll – pajamas or paJAMas
- pajamas – 18
- paJAMas – 7 (would’ve been 8 but lilli peeked)
- pretty decisive but y’all chose the most boring possible way of saying it
- michaela is leading a clinic this thursday!
- how to identify plants in winter! & leaf pressing!
- she has so many leaves
- also sign up for clinics!
- whittling wednesdays returns!
- movie monday! at 8 following the open house, movie tbd (it was emperors new groove)
- craft night on tuesday? not sure!
- thursday evening, after clinic, snow pants or no pants!!!
- jan 27th! contra dance! no prior skill or ability of any kind needed!
- jan 22nd! night of 1000 glow sticks! sledding and skating and snowshoeing
- winter skills training this wednesday!
- 1 of your co-leaders must have this, it’s necessary to lead trips in winter
- 4-6 PM in diamond
- covers ice safety, layering, hypothermia, etc.
- pond should open on tuesday!
- return ur gear
- especially during jan plan
- road is plowed, the driveway is not
- we would like a foursquare ball please
that about covers it. please, if you have a foursquare ball, deliver it unto us. this is urgent.
thx for reading & until next time,
behold, the last hurrahs of 2017! read about our glorious expeditions of the past week and then stare into the utter void of winter break. yeah there’s no homework and you’ll probably all see your families and celebrate whatever holidays you celebrate but there’s no COC trips so what’s the point??
what we don did
- abby did not
- emma walked around the fake tree forest in the sparkle festival in freeport! actual reindeer!
- james went up a singular bigelow and there was a foot of snow at the top! a fun harbinger of things to come
- henry went up one baldpate, also snow, just sweat though
- soren spilled hot chocolate on his laptop in the course of writing this
- soren also climbed some trees
- anna went for an arb run, it was sad and dead looking
what we gon do
- still happening jan plan break
- probably fun
- subsidized for those who need wfa / a re-certification
- send your questions to trips & facilitation!
- sign ups close tonight!
- those lucky winners will be notified on monday night!
winter ascent of katahdin!
- planned, kinda ice climbing, kinda hiking
- sign ups in jan plan for one, in spring semester for a second
- if you’re interested in leading one of these (must be a COC leader) shoot me an email!
- 13 said that “next saturday” is the 9th
- 3 said that “next saturday” is the 16th
- good job y’all
- if you wanna become a leader talk to michael or max
- trips committee is tired
- fun events to come!
- stove clinic this thursday! probably!
and that’ll do it. hopefully these minutes are enough to get you through the cold cold break and into the new year! at which point there will be toasty minutes once again!
hmm yes looks like you folks got outside yet again this past week. that’s pretty neat. read alllllll about it right below:
what we done did
- kaitlin went to mt philip on sat, saw a chipmunk, did NOT sit on butt rock, merely touched it
- lily went stargazing next to her house
- anna went lookin’ for a petroglyph on a big ol rock, found the rock, but there was a moat and she couldn’t find it
- max went to acadia with chris and dean and sj and hiked (a small bit) on the bubble
- grace went to burnt mountain instead of sugarloaf and it was cold and it was wet
- michael stone moved the dock, found ½ dock panels, hoping whittling can make new panels
- charlie on saturday went on a mineralogy field trip to poland, hit rocks with hammers
- grace also went to big moose mountain, did not see moose or summit but saw snow and a bridge!
what we gon do
- not much
- no trips this week (break)
- abby and hannah want to lead a crepe hike!
- max will lead a trip probably not to abraham but maybe somewhere else
- kaitlin wants to lead a trip up tumbledown
- sam wants to lead a trip to get someone their co-lead, so does soren
- it is happening!
- during jan plan break, also weekend after
- wilderness first responder
- sign ups will be closer to jan plan
- only talk to max for this info (jk you can talk to michael too)
- partially subsidized if you can’t lead trips without it ($150)
- in chris’s salad
- now where?
- may be dead
- trip descriptions going out tonight!
- one with jared and anna to arizona, tonto national forest
- one with soren and max to texas, big bend national park
- ryan linehan with backcountry skiing in quebec
- cmc trips to kentucky and california
- sign ups are next sunday, full lottery style
- price estimates are attached, also overestimated at the moment
- string the cheese
- halve the cheese, then string it
- 6 (7 if you count lilly twice)
- office hours moved from monday to tuesdays 2:18-3:18? not sure honestly, I didn’t catch this
- return your gear
- need your maple identifying skills
- stay after if you can!
- put to good use this weekend
- one dock panel is missing
- work of local hooligans, according to kaitlin’s conspiracy theory
- talk to events to become a leader!
- also talk to events, they’re lonely
- re-starting clinics on thursday nights!
- it’ll will be in the weekly minutes
- if you wanna hold one of these, don’t have to be a leader, just sign on up
- upcoming: what’s in your first aid kit
- put your trail trash in the trash can
hot seat (first first-year leader this year!) (yay emma!)
- I DONT drink soda
- drinking punch
- basement of grossman
- getting buried but in her dorm, then she went to walmart, got chased around a film set
- gryffindor, got sorted there
- chris hemsworth
- dogs for walks
- mud camouflage
- half to both
guess what guys it SNOWED this week and though it didn’t stick, it means that soon we’ll have snowshoeing and skiing and sledding and snowball fights and snowpeople and snowanimals and snowplants and all other varieties of snow-based fun. so get PUMPED people for winter is almost upon us! praise be
that’s all for this week – see ya post-turkey day
tally-ho, fellow outdoorspeople! it has been brought to my attention that several of us have had the pleasure of experiencing the out-of-sides in the past week, and that several more wish to experience the world beyond our doors in the coming week.
in celebration of these joyous times, i would like to humbly present this week’s minutes:
max fixed the printer
what we don did
- James went on the leader training trip to mt. blue state park, hiked mt. blue, learned some things, experienced some blood, tears, sweat, almost nudity, lots of people were there yay
- Emma went to megunticook with Sam, went swimming, it was v cold
- the crew team cleaned up the hume center with leaf blowers
- the humes are super nice people, they have croque
- Michaela walked in the arb late night, ran into a skunk, did not get skunked
- her class took photos of foxes and fishers!
- Max went to a risk management course in portland, and went outside to see a coast guard practice rescue, met Molly!
- Chris and Dean and Taryn went up le franch mtn, took a wrong turn on way there and ran into some murdery cars. Dean and Chris did not get murdered, although Taryn is MIA. presume the worst.
what we gon do
- Michael still wants to play wiffleball, and Sam found a wiffle ball! yay!
- Julia and her conservation bio class will put up camera traps this weekend
- OPEN SEASON for hunting so watch out, even in the arb
- Sam wants to lead a trip on sunday, for a co lead / shadow
- Soren wants to find the plane crash on mt abraham with Austin!
- get your proposals in 11/9! that’s thursday
- if unsure about a co lead / location, talk to Max and/or Michael! they are matchmakers
poll – crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
- smooth – 16 votes, minus james
- crunchy – 18 votes, minus james
- this was closer than it had any right to be, crunchy is far and away the superior nutty spread
- ltt happened!
- update ur leader profile
- talk to Michael and Max about future trips
- WFA! anyone who filled out the form is on the WFA roster
- gear poll is still open, fill it out soon to have your voice heard
- link will be in minutes
- we got cool new gear! sleeping bags, day packs, head lamps (pink)
- return ur gear
- it is Kaitlin’s birthday
- trash can is there! filling up! it’s full of trash! but not regular trash!
and so concludes this week’s minutes, sadly. there shall be more next week, fear not!
now go get outside
ya it rained a ton and ya the leaves are all falling and ya it’s getting cold and ya schoolwork is slowly but surely crushing me like a hungry boa constrictor but WE GOT OUTSIDE ANYWAY cause adventure > academics*
anyway here’s some piping hot minutes to get you through these desperate times!
*actually do your homework kiddos
what we done did!
- Grace went to Mt. Phillip/Philip/Phillips on saturday! so did Sam! ya!
- Max walked through the arb and sat on a bench next to perkins brook
- Hannah and Brittany led their parents through the arb and got just a tad lost
- the Bossi’s also led the ‘rents hike to Mt. Phillips on sunday, all parents returned intact (this time)
- Michael Stone raced at the Hume w/ Crew, also bates was there 🙁 there was food though!
- Addie and her friends went to the arb, tried to climb a tree, but the tree wasn’t cooperative
- Hannah went to the How Do You Outside event on friday
- leaves were learned
- human knot was unsuccessfully attempted
- fun was had
- more in the future! so stay tuned
- SJ and Soren went up tumbledown, found a flotational tube and had a generally good time
- Michael Stone held kayak clinics with wolfdog! and the wolfpups!
- Kaitlin led a trip w/ Grace and Caroline and Henry to Mt. zirCON and it was pretty and the mountain was pretty too (blood, sweat, no nudity)
- Anna lit fires! join the ever faithfuls to hear about this type of pyromania!
- Kramer took his parents to the arb, they had a decent time
what we gon’ do
- Addie wants to go outside, and she will, on the LTT!
- Emma and Grace want to shadow!
- Sam wants to get someone their co lead! or maybe SJ!
- Michael Stone wants to play wiffleball – hmu if you have a wiffleball
- send ur trips to me
- trip proposals are due the 9th of november
- you gotta be a leader / alllmost a leader to lead
- trip sign ups go live week after thanksgiving, after tabling and much emailing
- 3 eyes or 1 eye??
- 32 votes for 3!
- 2 spiteful votes for 1
- movie night tuesday! the lorax!
- 7:00 PM
- 2nd fall LTT this weekend!
- (leader training trip) ^^
- if you wanna go on the next one talk to michael or max
- WFA also happening!
- (wilderness first aid) ^^
- sign ups still open through sunday night! [editors note – closed now]
- fully subsidized! take our money!
- pls return ur gear
- active gear poll! respond to that to have a say in what gear you want us to buy
- new email address! firstname.lastname@example.org
- very efficient
- we have a trash can now!
- put ur trash that you find on trails in it
keenan: “ah wsh bu eh” – you heard it here first, folks
- special note from the treasurer’s office:
- if you want money back from trips led and reimbursement forms scare you like they scare me, talk to anna
- SJ edition!
- i dont know
- what is it
- the gurrrrrr wait wait
- i dont know knots
- not joshua – sequoia
- woodman basement, WITH CONVICTION
LASTLY if you don’t claim ur kayak in the coc office, we’re going to claim it for ourselves next week
yeah that’s all for this week. check back next week for updates on our clubly shenanigans and escapades (and don’t forget to contribute to them yourself)
until next time amigos
Dear friends, enemies, frenimes, and enemends,
Today we mourn the loss of our good friend Caspian. For those of you who didn’t know Caspian, he was a beautiful blue Subaru Forester. Caspian was born and raised in Virginia but he braved the harsh Maine winters time and time again to transport students on many a COC hike. If Caspian were here today he would tell us to continue going on outing trips without him, so we can continue to brave the wilderness and pursue the things we love. Because after all – love, is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
We went OUTSIDE and it was RAD and here’s some notes about it:
- On Thursday Soren and Max led a trip up Mont Français to watch the harvest moon and eat macaroni. What a wholesome trip. 5/5 barks.
- Jared went outside with the Pugh Center and some members of the COC. They went on walks in the arb that were deemed “great” and “beautiful”
- Anna Van Dresser (full names cuz at least two Annas – but probably more – went outside this weekend) went to Acadia and hiked some mountains. She didn’t tell us which ones because she couldn’t remember their names. There were apparently many many people there because the Sierra Club was celebrating being old or something.
- FALL FEST: THERE WERE BUNNIES AND GOATS ON CAMPUS AND A BUNNY POOPED ON ABBY.
- Kaitlin went to a different fall fest in Freeport that was – allegedly – bigger and better (but were there poopy bunnies? huh? didn’t think so).
- Kaitlin also had a herpetology (a smart people word for studying reptiles and amphibians) lab and helped save an endangered species of salamander. NEATO.
- Evan went on a nice bike ride to a *nice* place called Belfast to see the super /nice/ ocean. (disclaimer: Evan did not ride his bike into the ocean). It was a nice day!
- Grace picked apples at the apple farm, now her room is full of apples and she wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Hannah went to the observatory with the Space Club (#spacecoc) and looked at the moon through her eyes and also three telescopes (all at once? unclear).
- Lilly ran up Sugarloaf (me oh my that is impressive). It was rainy and cold, but fun!…kind of. I give it a rating of type II fun on the fun scale.
- Chris and others went on the Leader Training Trip with Sam and Anna (Caughron). They hiked up Mount Blue in the rain AND this is where Caspian, our trusty Subaru, died. I guess when it rains it pours (see what I did there?) But there were also good things like something involving nudity and fireworks???? and also the Bossi Van valiantly coming to rescue our stranded leaders and soon to be leaders.
Next week is fall break so all our trips are set and ready to go, but we got some ideas for after break, here’s a sneak peak:
- Kaitlin wants to hike Old Speck
- Soren wants to hike his arch nemesis, Mount Redington
- There was a wildfire in the Whites and Anna (Van Dresser) wants to go see it with her own two eyeballs.
- Wednesdays will be whittled this week
- Kaitlin’s first wood guy fell through and then her Minnesota wood guy fell through (or maybe they’re the same guy? idk) so there will not be any new wood but it will still be FUN
- also @Kaitlin ur vague ramblings about shifty guys bringing you wood have me intrigued
Kayak Clinics from 7:30-9:30 on Thursday in the pool:
- there will be kayak clinics from 7:30 to 9:30 on Thursday in the pool.
How Do You Outside?™
Blurbity blurb: “This is a new campaign to engage the Colby community with the Outing Club as a way to encourage students to tell us their stories and what they love and appreciate about the outdoors. We hope to inspire more students to find things they enjoy about being outside such as stargazing, watching birds, walking in the arboretum, sledding, canoeing, etc.”
- come put post it notes on our wall and Soren’s face about the things YOU love about the outdoors
- we’re gonna do lots of other stuff but people were talking all at once in the meeting and I could not figure out what to type
wut? we’re talking about spring break trips in the fall? YUP. CUZ WE’RE PLANNERS. and we like to know what we are doing at least 4 to 5 months in advance.
- Leaders that want to lead spring break trips…It’s time to get those gears turning and thinking about your WWWWWZ (who, what, where, when, why, zebra) because we want to have everything set before the end of the semester
- An email will be going out with specifics but here’s your timeline:
- Trip proposals due the 2nd week of November
- Sign ups around Thanksgiving time
- Trippers finalized before winter break
- We will be having another LTT the first weekend of November
- The following weekend we will be hosting a WFA training (which is fully subsidized if you become a COC leader and partially subsidized for everyone else)!
- The last weekend of October is parents weekend and we need leaders for a parents hike! It will be Sunday the 29th at 11am.
- bring your gear back you heathens
- also there will be a form sent out this week with any gear needs y’all may have for fall break!
- On the last week of October Kaitlin wants to redo the floors in the Cabin. It’s in need of a makeover!
- Come help! Ryan will probably bring yummy food (Wolfdog, if you’re reading this, hi! and thanks! and hopefully you do bring food!)
You should probably get back to your midterms now. I know you may be stressed and anxious and maybe even feeling a little down. But remember everyone, even the smartest of us, have bad days. To prove my point here is an honest to goodness actual Charles Darwin quote:
“But I am very poorly today and very stupid and hate everybody and everything…I am going to write a little Book for Murray on orchids and today I hate them worse than everything.”
– Charles Darwin, the dude that figured out evolution