After an excruciatingly long break, the long-awaited return of Sexcretary Krumholz is already here, if only for one week. So it’s time to dust off those reading glasses, polish those reading chairs, and get ready for a doozy. The following are the mostly-true, probably-unadulterated goings-on of the Outing Club this past week.
What we definitely did:
- Dom ‘More or’ Leskiw (and others) watched the sunrise Friday morning then ate one pancake. For those wondering, the pancake was larger than his face (an above-average 13 face units)
- Taryn ‘Go’ Waite went skiing on Friday – it was fun
- Michael ‘Definitely not Cosmo’ Kramer and Macey ‘Smallfire’ Broadwater led a trip to Megunticook – Macey said it was “wonderful, spectacular, cemetery, fruitful”
- Luke ‘PB and’ Kelly and Sam ‘Falls Into’ Wells and Henry ‘The’ Doud and others (including me!) went to Bald Mtn, yet (unexpectedly but thankfully) did not become bald
- Max ‘Honest’ Abramson went XC skiing at Quarry Road on Monday – no one asked him a follow up question
- People played with glow sticks on Monday! Bentley ‘Tippy’ Meyer did not fall over, which I for one don’t believe
- Charlie ‘Corn on the’ Cobb went XC skiing all day every day, which seems a little extreme (XCtreme?) in my opinion
- Dom ‘Nickname Already Established’ Leskiw and Macey ‘Ditto’ and others went sledding on Friday – Dom almost hit a tree accidentally, did hit his roommate on purpose
- Max went to foss and danced in contra style
What we probably will do:
- Max wants to lead a cross country skiing clinic sometime this week (preferably Tuesday)
- The Colby Garden is hiring student workers – ask Nick Pattison (firstname.lastname@example.org) about it!
- Soren probably wants to lead two trips per weekend for the rest of the semester – he wasn’t at the meeting but it seems likely
Wilderness First Responder:
- If you’re interested in the Wilderness First Responder course taking place over Jan Plan Break, get in contact with Max Abramson (email@example.com) immediately!
- Ryan is running another tele skiing clinic; keep an eye out for sign ups
- There will be another Winter Katahdin trip in February on the 24th and 25th! Keep an eye out for sign ups going out soon.
Question of the Week:
- Fruit at bottom – 9
- Flavoring – 6
- Tell us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you know where to get good cheap snow pants!
- Skates have been sharpened!
- We’ll be sending people to the MYTAC trailwork summit in March; if you’re interested, reach out to email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
- Macey became a leader!
- THE SINGLE BATHROOM THATS ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF FOSS THE INCREDIBLES THAT ONE [redacted] TEN TWO COOKIE DOUGH KATAHDIN CRUMPLE DIDGERIDOO PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCHY
Well, that’s all from me. Hope you have a wonderfully cold Jan Plan Break, and may you stare at the sun a lot but not for a dangerous amount of time.
Jan Plan is in full swing and so are various things performed out of doors! People with waxed bits of wood strapped to their feet! People with claws strapped to their feet! People with spikes strapped to their feet! People with feet! Read about em here!
Also I have decided to flee the cold and go to Bermuda for a spell so adios until the spring semester
what we done did
- dom watched the sun rise at a beach, “it was lovely”
- michael stone did the thing where he went down the mountain on friday with the colby learn-to-ski program
- michael kramer also tried to do that thing but couldn’t
- nat tried to do that thing twice, succeeded once
- ben went up french with some people known to sam (ie, sam) good views were had
- taryn and max and soren tried to do mt. madison but it was windy so they didn’t
- brittany went skating on johnson pond! even the snowy section like the intrepid explorers they are
- max went cross country skating and the lifts were closed but it didn’t matter
- grace went sledding on that one hill with the chapel
- soren and taryn and macey and jimmy went up old speck and the fire tower was scary
what we gon do
- julia’s annual french sunrise with early bird breakfast (paid for) on friday morning, leaving around 6 am
- max wants to lead a xc ski clinic on saturday, looking for co lead (sam?), doesn’t need to teach
- michael kramer wants to snowshoe some sort of mountain on saturday, looking for a co lead
- sam wants to lead a trip up bald mtn with sam wells on sunday ~~~4 miles near rangeley
- michael stone still wants to play wiffle ball!
- sign ups are still somehow open!
- feb 2nd through 5th & april 3rd
- all that jazz about substituting for wfa
- wolfdog is leading a tele ski clinic on wednesday, 3pm to 9pm, dinner provided
- must be able to ski parallel downhill and stop safely
- lottery is tomorrow (1/22) so sign up asap
- first one is set, next weekend
- second one in february, sign ups after jan plan
- is harry potter a documentary or merely based on true events?
- documentary – 8
- true events (all the others) (which was like 13)
- both michaels had their eyes open, for the record
night of 1000 glow sticks
- roughly 1000 glow sticks
- super fun
- snowshoeing, sledding, skating
- 7-9 pm, meet in the coc, get lit, get gear
- if you wanna help out, sign up on the spreadsheet
- SPREAD THE WORD
- movie night? probably? maybe tuesday.
- movie tbd
- contra dance is this coming saturday, evening ish? 7 pm! look for an email
- “no creativity necessary”
- “talk to us, we’re lonely”
- wanna help with gear? come by during office hours on thursday nights! or any weeknight but friday!
- 1,000 pieces of gear have been checked out this year!
- uhh that one
- he would eat bentley
- ally russell?
- allergic to cottage cheese
- you can find out later
- not gonna answer
and thus concludes my final minutes of jan plan. also for the record the people here think 65 is cold so chew on that for a while.
welcome back to the 2018 edition of the colby outing club! get your (or our!) snowshoes ready cause the cold frozen white snow is here to stay.
what we done did
- lilli played on a frozen canadian lake, did not turn into a mountie
- alex learned how to tele ski!
- ian lost his phone on a mountain
- megan learned how to cross country ski
- dominick hiked in the camden hills
- dean found a frozen lake with creepy fishermen, also dogs eating chocolate? confusing story to be honest.
- nat went arb-shoeing
- max went sledding on a day last week at quarry road
- lots of people went skiing, woo
- hannah and anna and taryn went snowshoeing in the arb (good riddles were told)
- soren and his dad tried snowshoeing up a mountain, didn’t make it
- addie went rock climbing
- james went up mt. moriah with some people
- soren crashed his car!
what we gon do
- max wants to lead a trip!
- hannah wants to lead multiple trips this week! preferably short xc ski or snowshoeing!
- max wants to lead a xc clinic at quarry road this week
- soren wants to go up old speck this weekend!
- sam wants to lead a trip on sunday, shorter, to get someone their co-lead, and also a shorter trip!
- over jan plan break + one day in april (the 21st)
- wilderness first responder, a level up from wilderness first aid
- “it’s great” – sam
- stay tuned
- during office hours on monday! tomorrow!
- come! learn! mingle!
- @ges students @people who wanna learn
- winter ascents of maine’s tallest peak! with professional guides!
- “very cool” – max
- jan 27 – 28, lottery style sign ups
- also one in mid to late february
- fully subsidized! wowee!
poll – pajamas or paJAMas
- pajamas – 18
- paJAMas – 7 (would’ve been 8 but lilli peeked)
- pretty decisive but y’all chose the most boring possible way of saying it
- michaela is leading a clinic this thursday!
- how to identify plants in winter! & leaf pressing!
- she has so many leaves
- also sign up for clinics!
- whittling wednesdays returns!
- movie monday! at 8 following the open house, movie tbd (it was emperors new groove)
- craft night on tuesday? not sure!
- thursday evening, after clinic, snow pants or no pants!!!
- jan 27th! contra dance! no prior skill or ability of any kind needed!
- jan 22nd! night of 1000 glow sticks! sledding and skating and snowshoeing
- winter skills training this wednesday!
- 1 of your co-leaders must have this, it’s necessary to lead trips in winter
- 4-6 PM in diamond
- covers ice safety, layering, hypothermia, etc.
- pond should open on tuesday!
- return ur gear
- especially during jan plan
- road is plowed, the driveway is not
- we would like a foursquare ball please
that about covers it. please, if you have a foursquare ball, deliver it unto us. this is urgent.
thx for reading & until next time,
behold, the last hurrahs of 2017! read about our glorious expeditions of the past week and then stare into the utter void of winter break. yeah there’s no homework and you’ll probably all see your families and celebrate whatever holidays you celebrate but there’s no COC trips so what’s the point??
what we don did
- abby did not
- emma walked around the fake tree forest in the sparkle festival in freeport! actual reindeer!
- james went up a singular bigelow and there was a foot of snow at the top! a fun harbinger of things to come
- henry went up one baldpate, also snow, just sweat though
- soren spilled hot chocolate on his laptop in the course of writing this
- soren also climbed some trees
- anna went for an arb run, it was sad and dead looking
what we gon do
- still happening jan plan break
- probably fun
- subsidized for those who need wfa / a re-certification
- send your questions to trips & facilitation!
- sign ups close tonight!
- those lucky winners will be notified on monday night!
winter ascent of katahdin!
- planned, kinda ice climbing, kinda hiking
- sign ups in jan plan for one, in spring semester for a second
- if you’re interested in leading one of these (must be a COC leader) shoot me an email!
- 13 said that “next saturday” is the 9th
- 3 said that “next saturday” is the 16th
- good job y’all
- if you wanna become a leader talk to michael or max
- trips committee is tired
- fun events to come!
- stove clinic this thursday! probably!
and that’ll do it. hopefully these minutes are enough to get you through the cold cold break and into the new year! at which point there will be toasty minutes once again!
hmm yes looks like you folks got outside yet again this past week. that’s pretty neat. read alllllll about it right below:
what we done did
- kaitlin went to mt philip on sat, saw a chipmunk, did NOT sit on butt rock, merely touched it
- lily went stargazing next to her house
- anna went lookin’ for a petroglyph on a big ol rock, found the rock, but there was a moat and she couldn’t find it
- max went to acadia with chris and dean and sj and hiked (a small bit) on the bubble
- grace went to burnt mountain instead of sugarloaf and it was cold and it was wet
- michael stone moved the dock, found ½ dock panels, hoping whittling can make new panels
- charlie on saturday went on a mineralogy field trip to poland, hit rocks with hammers
- grace also went to big moose mountain, did not see moose or summit but saw snow and a bridge!
what we gon do
- not much
- no trips this week (break)
- abby and hannah want to lead a crepe hike!
- max will lead a trip probably not to abraham but maybe somewhere else
- kaitlin wants to lead a trip up tumbledown
- sam wants to lead a trip to get someone their co-lead, so does soren
- it is happening!
- during jan plan break, also weekend after
- wilderness first responder
- sign ups will be closer to jan plan
- only talk to max for this info (jk you can talk to michael too)
- partially subsidized if you can’t lead trips without it ($150)
- in chris’s salad
- now where?
- may be dead
- trip descriptions going out tonight!
- one with jared and anna to arizona, tonto national forest
- one with soren and max to texas, big bend national park
- ryan linehan with backcountry skiing in quebec
- cmc trips to kentucky and california
- sign ups are next sunday, full lottery style
- price estimates are attached, also overestimated at the moment
- string the cheese
- halve the cheese, then string it
- 6 (7 if you count lilly twice)
- office hours moved from monday to tuesdays 2:18-3:18? not sure honestly, I didn’t catch this
- return your gear
- need your maple identifying skills
- stay after if you can!
- put to good use this weekend
- one dock panel is missing
- work of local hooligans, according to kaitlin’s conspiracy theory
- talk to events to become a leader!
- also talk to events, they’re lonely
- re-starting clinics on thursday nights!
- it’ll will be in the weekly minutes
- if you wanna hold one of these, don’t have to be a leader, just sign on up
- upcoming: what’s in your first aid kit
- put your trail trash in the trash can
hot seat (first first-year leader this year!) (yay emma!)
- I DONT drink soda
- drinking punch
- basement of grossman
- getting buried but in her dorm, then she went to walmart, got chased around a film set
- gryffindor, got sorted there
- chris hemsworth
- dogs for walks
- mud camouflage
- half to both
guess what guys it SNOWED this week and though it didn’t stick, it means that soon we’ll have snowshoeing and skiing and sledding and snowball fights and snowpeople and snowanimals and snowplants and all other varieties of snow-based fun. so get PUMPED people for winter is almost upon us! praise be
that’s all for this week – see ya post-turkey day
tally-ho, fellow outdoorspeople! it has been brought to my attention that several of us have had the pleasure of experiencing the out-of-sides in the past week, and that several more wish to experience the world beyond our doors in the coming week.
in celebration of these joyous times, i would like to humbly present this week’s minutes:
max fixed the printer
what we don did
- James went on the leader training trip to mt. blue state park, hiked mt. blue, learned some things, experienced some blood, tears, sweat, almost nudity, lots of people were there yay
- Emma went to megunticook with Sam, went swimming, it was v cold
- the crew team cleaned up the hume center with leaf blowers
- the humes are super nice people, they have croque
- Michaela walked in the arb late night, ran into a skunk, did not get skunked
- her class took photos of foxes and fishers!
- Max went to a risk management course in portland, and went outside to see a coast guard practice rescue, met Molly!
- Chris and Dean and Taryn went up le franch mtn, took a wrong turn on way there and ran into some murdery cars. Dean and Chris did not get murdered, although Taryn is MIA. presume the worst.
what we gon do
- Michael still wants to play wiffleball, and Sam found a wiffle ball! yay!
- Julia and her conservation bio class will put up camera traps this weekend
- OPEN SEASON for hunting so watch out, even in the arb
- Sam wants to lead a trip on sunday, for a co lead / shadow
- Soren wants to find the plane crash on mt abraham with Austin!
- get your proposals in 11/9! that’s thursday
- if unsure about a co lead / location, talk to Max and/or Michael! they are matchmakers
poll – crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
- smooth – 16 votes, minus james
- crunchy – 18 votes, minus james
- this was closer than it had any right to be, crunchy is far and away the superior nutty spread
- ltt happened!
- update ur leader profile
- talk to Michael and Max about future trips
- WFA! anyone who filled out the form is on the WFA roster
- gear poll is still open, fill it out soon to have your voice heard
- link will be in minutes
- we got cool new gear! sleeping bags, day packs, head lamps (pink)
- return ur gear
- it is Kaitlin’s birthday
- trash can is there! filling up! it’s full of trash! but not regular trash!
and so concludes this week’s minutes, sadly. there shall be more next week, fear not!
now go get outside
ya it rained a ton and ya the leaves are all falling and ya it’s getting cold and ya schoolwork is slowly but surely crushing me like a hungry boa constrictor but WE GOT OUTSIDE ANYWAY cause adventure > academics*
anyway here’s some piping hot minutes to get you through these desperate times!
*actually do your homework kiddos
what we done did!
- Grace went to Mt. Phillip/Philip/Phillips on saturday! so did Sam! ya!
- Max walked through the arb and sat on a bench next to perkins brook
- Hannah and Brittany led their parents through the arb and got just a tad lost
- the Bossi’s also led the ‘rents hike to Mt. Phillips on sunday, all parents returned intact (this time)
- Michael Stone raced at the Hume w/ Crew, also bates was there 🙁 there was food though!
- Addie and her friends went to the arb, tried to climb a tree, but the tree wasn’t cooperative
- Hannah went to the How Do You Outside event on friday
- leaves were learned
- human knot was unsuccessfully attempted
- fun was had
- more in the future! so stay tuned
- SJ and Soren went up tumbledown, found a flotational tube and had a generally good time
- Michael Stone held kayak clinics with wolfdog! and the wolfpups!
- Kaitlin led a trip w/ Grace and Caroline and Henry to Mt. zirCON and it was pretty and the mountain was pretty too (blood, sweat, no nudity)
- Anna lit fires! join the ever faithfuls to hear about this type of pyromania!
- Kramer took his parents to the arb, they had a decent time
what we gon’ do
- Addie wants to go outside, and she will, on the LTT!
- Emma and Grace want to shadow!
- Sam wants to get someone their co lead! or maybe SJ!
- Michael Stone wants to play wiffleball – hmu if you have a wiffleball
- send ur trips to me
- trip proposals are due the 9th of november
- you gotta be a leader / alllmost a leader to lead
- trip sign ups go live week after thanksgiving, after tabling and much emailing
- 3 eyes or 1 eye??
- 32 votes for 3!
- 2 spiteful votes for 1
- movie night tuesday! the lorax!
- 7:00 PM
- 2nd fall LTT this weekend!
- (leader training trip) ^^
- if you wanna go on the next one talk to michael or max
- WFA also happening!
- (wilderness first aid) ^^
- sign ups still open through sunday night! [editors note – closed now]
- fully subsidized! take our money!
- pls return ur gear
- active gear poll! respond to that to have a say in what gear you want us to buy
- new email address! email@example.com
- very efficient
- we have a trash can now!
- put ur trash that you find on trails in it
keenan: “ah wsh bu eh” – you heard it here first, folks
- special note from the treasurer’s office:
- if you want money back from trips led and reimbursement forms scare you like they scare me, talk to anna
- SJ edition!
- i dont know
- what is it
- the gurrrrrr wait wait
- i dont know knots
- not joshua – sequoia
- woodman basement, WITH CONVICTION
LASTLY if you don’t claim ur kayak in the coc office, we’re going to claim it for ourselves next week
yeah that’s all for this week. check back next week for updates on our clubly shenanigans and escapades (and don’t forget to contribute to them yourself)
until next time amigos