hello crew. welcome to the minutes.
the sand’s winding down on the metaphorical going-outside-at-colby hourglass. grain by grain, second by second, we inch closer to reading period, then finals, then freedom. greet it with fear or welcome, but be prepared nevertheless for time’s unstoppable crawl.
now for some fun COC things!
things we done did
- zach went on the ltt to acadia and it was “fun”
- almost everyone is sunburnt
- michael stone went and hiked mt. philip? missed the trailhead but then didn’t miss it and then there were some folks with RC cars which sounds less than lnt to me
- ian went up mt. washington, also got sunburnt
- max was generally outside during the warm days
- kaitlin went to catch some peepers after the steminist dinner with her advisor / boss / prof
- soren biked around east vassalboro, which is east of vassalboro
- jeremy biked around oakland
- we shall assume it was also pretty ok
- hannah played some frisbee golf around campus
- simultaneously, julia was enjoying the sun with ms. frisbee, a dog. what are the odds.
- bentley and addie got wfa’d and he got struck by a bee and she got stung by lightning
- colby dancers was on friday and it kicked butt
things we gon’ do
- soren and megan are going up round top on sunday!
- addie and hannah are going to the bigelows that day too!
- max and grace might go somewhere next weekend!
- taryn really wants her co-lead!
- soren and martin might go up french mountain or something like that!
- it has ended. keep your submissions.
- BUT be on the lookout for sign ups to table in the spa! we’ll be selling t-shirts and voting on the photos simultaneously
- yeah that’s happening
- posters need to go up
- no man’s land film festival
- rad women doing rad things, but all genders are invited
- in two weeks! julia wants YOUR help in setting this up
future is now!
- congrats to our new bigelow buds!
- there’s a lot of them!
- diversity and inclusion:
- addie thompson and grace oh-willeke
- max abramson and taryn waite
- events and community outreach
- grace neumiller and jared fong
- trips facilitation
- emma goldberg-courtney and macey broadwater
future is future! (kinda)
- camden comradeships are due tomorrow at noon? nine? not sure. either way it’ll be closed by the time you read this
- shrek or moose
- shrek 8
- moose 19
- c’mon people, opposable thumbs
- did you buy anything for the outing club this year? wanna be reimbursed?
- GET REIMBURSED
- talk to anna
- exact dates are important
- hey there’s a lot of newly wfa’d and ltt’d folks
- they want shadows and co-leads so give em up!
- they will be added to outing-leaders email list, exciting
- jennifer pharr davis!
- talk this coming friday at 7:00 PM and then a hike on the next day!
- let me repeat: JENNIFER PHARR DAVIS
- JENNIPHARR DAVIS
- she’s great and everyone should go to her talk!
- ice is out, cabin is accessible, let’s goooo
- kaitlin wants to paint the floors this coming weekend
- evidently this is a process so stay posted
just as time slowly steals seconds from under our noses, it has also taken these minutes. they are now property of time, and it’s not happy you’re nosing through them. pal.
it is i, your trusty sexcretary, once more.
in the last week’s passing, some of the more astute among us may have noticed the gradual recession of the ice, rising of the mercury, and things of that nature. preposterous, really.
some call it spring, some call it between-winter, but whatever it is, it’s fleeting, so soak it in like a sponge in the desert
things we done did
- taryn and max and others got WFRed
- grace and grace and chris went on an earth day hike to philip and sat outside. go earth.
- taryn sat outside and got very sunburnt, if you couldn’t tell
- chloe and brittany and co ate some sour patch kids on french mtn
- michael stone went to acadia, cadillac was closed but that couldn’t stop the sunrise, also got sunburnt
- anna went on an arb run
- emma took her dog on a run and went to the beach
- her DOG which is a GOLDEN RETRIEVER named ALBUS
- good boy
- kaitlin made some smores with some prospies and we answered questions and things of that nature
- chloe and grace and hannah and soren and a whole slew of other folks did the club fair, parents were very nosy, asking about funding and stuff
- soren went up french mountain with his mom and his lil sister who’ll be here next year so be on the lookout
things we gon do
- julia still wants to go up big spencer, maybe leave friday or so?
- big ol mtn and it’s got a firetower
- soren wants to retrieve a bench from the arb, perhaps informally
- michael still wants to play wiffleball
- hannah could be coerced into doing something, possibly for a co lead
- hannah also wants to go to the bigelows with addie in a couple weeks
- we have received photos
- they are good
- they just have to be nature photos
- don’t even have to be good
- closes friday
no man’s land film festival
- may 11th @ 7PM
- films about women doing rad things in the outdoors
- other colleges also invited
- congrats to michael, soren (that’s me!), and megan on their positions!
- let’s elect some new folks shall we? here’s everyone running for bigelow buddyships
- events and community outreach
- trips facilitation
- diversity and inclusion
- voting will open soon and close tuesday night!
- camden comradeships are due next meeting (eg, food manager, social media)
- how would you eat a sim card
- by yourself: 8
- split up: 19
- you people are disappointing
- as promised, advantages of each:
- SOLO PROS
- don’t have to share your shame
- can eat at your own pace
- can repeat if you want without having to gather a group
- GROUP PROS
- you don’t have to eat the entire thing
- you can pick people who’d cheer you on
- you have someone to explain the situation to the people at the emergency room
anna found a phone in her car
- we tried using siri
- we tried plugging it into a computer
- it has a background that says ‘sherm queen’
- it thinks it’s july 24th
- if you have any information regarding this phone, please contact anna via smoke signal
- LTT is this upcoming weekend!
- we’re looking for tricky situations or free lessons that COC leaders have encountered, for use in future leader training
- fill it out please! multiple times!
- jennifer pharr davis is coming may 4th! get excited
- all other committees are dormant
that’s all for this past week. some nifty stuff happened. some nifty stuff is about to happen. it’s up to you to seek it out, capture it, and extract all possible fun out of it before you leave its desiccated husk behind.
your newly renewed secretary
hello there people of the outside,
i greet you once more to whisper tales of adventure past and hint at promises of adventure future. read on, for knowledge is power:
what we done did
- sam kwon went skiing in the chic chocs over spring break, then stabbed himself while on duty while whittling (no stitches needed)
- michael and megan and some other folks did wfa, got in a boating accident / nearly got struck by lightning in the process
- grace boiled some sap – “it’s coming along”
- hannah, sophie janeway, and brittany hiked round top and had an icy ole time
- also stepped in human poop
- also suffered through a hot ball, whatever that is
- in summary: rough day for brittany
- hannah went up saddleback with max and sj, it was very snowy, also sunny
- dom went to mt. megunticook, butt slid down
- emma went on an arb walk and it was snowy
- soren and james and max went up caribou mountain and saw a couple of moose (!)
- frisbee was played in brunswick
- michael and sam and co played wiffleball, good attendance
- park’s team lost, despite his stellar pitching
what we gon do
- dominick wants to lead a frog walk / clean up trash in the arb to celebrate earth day
- chloe and brittany are going to lead a french mountain nite highk
- emma wants to lead a sunrise hike tuesday or thursday, looking for a co lead
- julia and sam want to lead a trip up big spencer mountain, possibly this weekend, possibly next, there’s a firetower
- if not, julia is amenable to other options but also she has knee pain
- same info as last week
- we’re holding a photo contest for your pictures from both coc and personal hikes this year!
- look out for an email with further details
- limit three submissions per person
- winner gets eternal glory
admitted students s’mores
- sga wants us to do this
- we’re doing this
- some night this coming week
- look for sign ups to volunteer to hang out with awkward high schoolers
new hand warming technique
- ask dominick
- looks like that one dude from charlie brown
the future is female!
- congrats kaitlin and julia on their incoming presidencies, may they rule with iron fists
- secretary platforms:
- treasurer platforms:
- vote if you’re registered! voting closes at 5PM on tuesday!
- upcoming: bigelow buddy platforms are due (diversity and inclusion, events and community outreach, sugaring, gear, cabin, and trips facilitation)
- the week after, camden comrade self-nominations are due (ex. – conservation, social media)
- onion or funyun
- onion: 20
- funyun: 5
- pretty darn decisive if you ask me
- new cross country skis!
- also maps are now inventoried
- if you wanna engrave pots / tattoo max, come help out gear on thursday
- stuff is upcoming
- contra dance occurred and was fun, according to eyewitnesses
- jennifer pharr davis is coming!
- friday, may 4th
- talk that evening at 7:00 PM
- followed by hike to mt. phillips the next morning ~10ish
- congrats to those who are now wfa certified as of this weekend
- next weekend is the wfr wrap up
- weekend after that is more wfa and also a leader training trip
- sign ups are closed for both. lo siento
- first weekend in may, kaitlin wants to paint the floors (looking for help!)
- second weekend of boiling has passed
miscellaneous things that i can’t categorize
- there’ll be a fly fishing clinic for earth week! stay posted for more info
- also a film screening on thursday night on human-caused extinction, that’ll prob be advertised more too
and that’s that. riveting stuff, i tell you. deserving of a bookmark, even.
Julia von Ehr has returned to her home position of Sexcretary in attempt to rescue her friends The Minutes from the clutches of the vile gangster Soren the Hutt.
Little does Julia know that the GALACTIC K-COUNCIL has secretly begun plotting elections to vote in a new star sexcretary even more powerful than Julia herself.
When elected, this ultimate sexcretary will spell certain doom for Julia in her struggles to maintain her power as supreme sexcretary of the galaxy…
A long time ago in some wilderness far, far away…
- Dom’s friends from home, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey (look at that crazy double hyphenation!), came to visit and they went snowshoeing up Le French Mountain
- Chris and Dean went XC skiing but the snow was sticky and therefore sketchy and there was likely falling involved.
- Parky Park “and the Funky Bunch” Cawley and Lisa “Linda the WEMT” Blackmer-Raynolds went snowshoeing
up a bald man’s head Bald Mountain.
- Bentley went outside on Wednesday! Good job, Bentley! He went snowshoeing in the arb and had a snowball fight too. WHAT UTTERLY WHOLESOME FUN!
- Someone built snow forts in the arb for a Doghead party? Why? Wasn’t? I? Invited? I. LOVE. SNOW. FORTS. (The better question is did these snow fort building, doghead partying hooligans LNT? I .THINK .NOT.)
- People went to the steps, people didn’t went to the steps, the steps were stepped on, the sun was risen.
- Mo shoveled her car and it took an hour and a half. The snow was higher than her car, thus “Colby sucks at plowing!” To which I respond, yes that may be true, but it also seems like Mo sucks at shoveling.
- Dean was feeling left out and also wanted to mention that he moved his car. Here’s a gold star, kiddo!
- Soren and Austin and some redshirts went to the ice planet Hoth (otherwise known as Katahdin) for another fun mountaineering ascent! Here’s to summiting and not being killed by snow troopers.
See you in April!
- No trips this week!
- SPRANG BRAYKE will spriggity spring!
- enjoy ur adventures 😉
Y’all are creative artístes!
- we got some RAD t shirt designs
- peep your emails this week to perform your civic duty and vote for the one you want to wear on your body!
Wat in democratic participation ?
- The future is going to happen whether we like it or not (we don’t) so we need to get ready for election szn 2k18.
- Elections for K-council and Bigelow Buds will begin after break
- Sam sent out an email with all of the positions and their respective duties (hehe duties).
Was Soren in New Jersey or Katahdin? (Snap maps never lie!)
- New “put that thing back where it came from or so help me” Jersey – 10
- KATAHDIN – 2
- First years went to the cabin
- It is still unplowed
- They may or may not be dead
- LTT LTT LTT LTT coming to a theater near you!
- “There is still sap. There is still trees. There is still buckets.” – Addie
- SPRING BREAK GEAR. GET IT EARLY OR GET REKT.
“If you can’t tie knots, learn how to tie f*king knots.”
Knots clinic 2.0 will be held this Thursday at 7pm!
Meet a Mule (not an ass)!
We will be having discussions over dinner with other members of the community this week! Let’s make new friends! Hurr be the topics and timez:
- Tuesday – 5-6pm Dana – Is it better to explore the outdoors solo or with friends?
- Wednesday – 5:30-6:30pm Bobs – What can you gain from going outside?
- Thursday – 5-6pm Foss – What is the value of going outside?
- Friday – 9-10am Dana – What barriers exist to enjoying outdoor spaces?
As I reached the end of these minutes I felt a disturbance in the force telling me that this may be the last time my words will grace this weekly forum. I hope you have enjoyed my not-so-witty quips and my not-too-funny jokes as much as I have enjoyed typing them. I will not, however, bid thee farewell once and for all, for who knows if the path I take shall lead me back to the minutes. As a wise three foot tall green Jedi once said “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”
Catch ya on the flip side! *dramatic exit*