Julia von Ehr has returned to her home position of Sexcretary in attempt to rescue her friends The Minutes from the clutches of the vile gangster Soren the Hutt.
Little does Julia know that the GALACTIC K-COUNCIL has secretly begun plotting elections to vote in a new star sexcretary even more powerful than Julia herself.
When elected, this ultimate sexcretary will spell certain doom for Julia in her struggles to maintain her power as supreme sexcretary of the galaxy…
A long time ago in some wilderness far, far away…
- Dom’s friends from home, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey (look at that crazy double hyphenation!), came to visit and they went snowshoeing up Le French Mountain
- Chris and Dean went XC skiing but the snow was sticky and therefore sketchy and there was likely falling involved.
- Parky Park “and the Funky Bunch” Cawley and Lisa “Linda the WEMT” Blackmer-Raynolds went snowshoeing
up a bald man’s head Bald Mountain.
- Bentley went outside on Wednesday! Good job, Bentley! He went snowshoeing in the arb and had a snowball fight too. WHAT UTTERLY WHOLESOME FUN!
- Someone built snow forts in the arb for a Doghead party? Why? Wasn’t? I? Invited? I. LOVE. SNOW. FORTS. (The better question is did these snow fort building, doghead partying hooligans LNT? I .THINK .NOT.)
- People went to the steps, people didn’t went to the steps, the steps were stepped on, the sun was risen.
- Mo shoveled her car and it took an hour and a half. The snow was higher than her car, thus “Colby sucks at plowing!” To which I respond, yes that may be true, but it also seems like Mo sucks at shoveling.
- Dean was feeling left out and also wanted to mention that he moved his car. Here’s a gold star, kiddo!
- Soren and Austin and some redshirts went to the ice planet Hoth (otherwise known as Katahdin) for another fun mountaineering ascent! Here’s to summiting and not being killed by snow troopers.
See you in April!
- No trips this week!
- SPRANG BRAYKE will spriggity spring!
- enjoy ur adventures 😉
Y’all are creative artístes!
- we got some RAD t shirt designs
- peep your emails this week to perform your civic duty and vote for the one you want to wear on your body!
Wat in democratic participation ?
- The future is going to happen whether we like it or not (we don’t) so we need to get ready for election szn 2k18.
- Elections for K-council and Bigelow Buds will begin after break
- Sam sent out an email with all of the positions and their respective duties (hehe duties).
Was Soren in New Jersey or Katahdin? (Snap maps never lie!)
- New “put that thing back where it came from or so help me” Jersey – 10
- KATAHDIN – 2
- First years went to the cabin
- It is still unplowed
- They may or may not be dead
- LTT LTT LTT LTT coming to a theater near you!
- “There is still sap. There is still trees. There is still buckets.” – Addie
- SPRING BREAK GEAR. GET IT EARLY OR GET REKT.
“If you can’t tie knots, learn how to tie f*king knots.”
Knots clinic 2.0 will be held this Thursday at 7pm!
Meet a Mule (not an ass)!
We will be having discussions over dinner with other members of the community this week! Let’s make new friends! Hurr be the topics and timez:
- Tuesday – 5-6pm Dana – Is it better to explore the outdoors solo or with friends?
- Wednesday – 5:30-6:30pm Bobs – What can you gain from going outside?
- Thursday – 5-6pm Foss – What is the value of going outside?
- Friday – 9-10am Dana – What barriers exist to enjoying outdoor spaces?
As I reached the end of these minutes I felt a disturbance in the force telling me that this may be the last time my words will grace this weekly forum. I hope you have enjoyed my not-so-witty quips and my not-too-funny jokes as much as I have enjoyed typing them. I will not, however, bid thee farewell once and for all, for who knows if the path I take shall lead me back to the minutes. As a wise three foot tall green Jedi once said “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”
Catch ya on the flip side! *dramatic exit*
hello, my name is Soren Denlinger, and welcome to This Week’s Minutes®!
these are the minutes for this week. not last week. not the week prior. next week is right out. these are for RIGHT NOW
brothers and sisters, CARPE DIEM
things we done did!
- dom went to cape elizabeth with colby photographers. though they may be unofficial it was officially fun
- julia and mo were outside all day in new jersey, they won first place! (also yay new jersey!)
- emma took one tripper to the narrow gauge trail, very good ski place, also good for snowshoes, and narrow gauges
- megan walked a few miles and found jesus
- henry went up round top “it was great” thanks henry
- henry and kaitlin and some other people (7) went up katahdin last week! no one died. three randos on the trip were nice too. see seth two weeks from now!
- jared and soren led a trip to flagstaff hut, dialogue was had! “fun trip” -Jared
- there was a sleepover on friday night! some people woke up early but some people didn’t, very exciting
- also max went for a 3AM arb walk cause it was pretty
- hannah and soren led a trip to french mountain, “it was fun” – Soren
- anna went for a run in the arb, did not get lost
- kaitlin went streaking in the arb, 36 degrees was surprisingly warm
- jared traveled across kingsbury pond in the name of geology
- ryan from the primitive skills school went outside to boil some sap
- the other one (colin) was doing something with balsam
trips we gon’ do
- michael and hannah want to do the cross country ski thing as a dialogue trip! traveling to one of the maine huts and trails cabins
- has ideas. it’s complicated. he needs co leads
- michael wants to lead a trip saturday
- soren wants to do something in the arb during the snowstorm on thursday!
- sam, sarah backstrand, someone else will go to a maine huts and trails for another dialogue trip!
maine primitive skills school
- wanna learn some primitive skills? sign up for the primitive skills thing next weekend!
- go live at 8PM monday! on the normal trips calendar!
- learn where to get water, how to make fire, make shelter, navigation, foraging, etc. etc. etc.
- seems pretty cool and both of the dudes have beards so
- willing to teach whatever you want (weather dependent)
- 10:00 AM saturday through noon on sunday! sleep in a shelter you built maybe!
- it will be “fun”
- 17th and 18th of march
- sign ups will close this wednesday
- very difficult so please be prepared / very physically fit, but also very fun
- as in please carefully consider whether you can do this trip
- but also it’s super fun
- talk to any variety of people who went on the first two!
- it’s during doghead. pick ur priorities
- if you’re a leader and interested in leading one
- or if you have experience facilitating discussions
- please contact us! or sign up! so we can run some!
- jared can also function as a liaison between a leader and a PCB facilitator
- we would like some t shirts please
- please design some
- send in your designs by friday before friday before spring break (march 16th)
- then we’ll vote on the designs!
- after spring break, elections start
- k-council, bigelow buddies, and camden comrades
- all spots are available
- think about whatcha wanna do
- ask a member of k-council for what each role will be!
- unicycle 10
- tricycle 7
- disappointing to say the least
- personal spring break needs will be met the week before spring break
- there will be cookies this thursday during office hours!
- spring LTT will be in april. at some point
- keep ur profile updated or FACE THE CONSEQUENCES
- if you want a profile talk to max or michael
- two wfa dates, april 14th-15th and 28th-29th
diversity and inclusion
- if you want an idea for a dialogue trip, talk to jared! also talk to him about your current topic
- cabin’s probably out of commission for a bit due to snow
- the sap floweth
- buckets overfloweth
- emptyeth them
- photos due the tenth
- no photo now since only ⅗ of k-council is here
- submit your pics to us if you think it depicts the club well and we might just use that instead
and there you have it. another victory in my war against the scourge of capitalization!
see y’all outside!
hello hello hello
here’s another edition of the COC weekly minutes, prepared like momma used to make & served hot.
I strongly encourage you to enjoy
what we done did!
- max went up the carters and it was awesome
- soren went night-walking and saw an owl
- zach rowed on messalonskee stream wow!
- addy tapped some trees, very maine-like
- max also went on a night hike up french mountain, saw more than five stars
- brittany and hannah and her parents visited the actual third bossi up north, visited the bangor city forest, saw snow fleas, but they don’t bite
- grace walked around campus in her crocs
- hannah went to the spacecoc clinic! (part deux to follow)
- michael and max led a trip up sanders hill, it went very well, wonderful times for all!
- there’s a trip hiking in baxter RIGHT NOW but they are currently unfacetimeable
- editors note: right now was 7:15 PM on sunday
what we gon do
- michael stone says there’s kayak clinics! maybe, unless the leaders go on the tele clinics
- hannah and michael want to cross country ski up by sugarloaf!
- would like some experienced folks to go with
- soren wants to lead a night hike one night! with hannah perhaps!
- julia might lead a trip, there might be a dialogue trip
- mo wants to sit in the snow in lieu of hiking
- macey and emma probably wanna lead a hike sometime
- two coc leaders and a trained facilitator lead a hike out to a Maine Huts and Trails hut to have a discussion about the outdoors and another topic – social justice, colby, etc.
- good food, good huts, good convos
- “would recommend” – sam
- “sometimes you end up in the middle of a lake” – julia
primitive skills thing
- this is a thing, potentially
- there is a cost, potentially
- fires, shelters, eating stuff, tracking, what have you
- interest form is out there currently
- sign ups later this week if it will actually happen
- julia’s doppelganger?
- unanimous yes
- wanna know how to do the reimbursement forms?
- wanna drive for the coc form?
- talk to anna caughron after the meeting / in general
- submit your t shirt design!
- submissions due the friday before doghead! (the 16th of march)
- thursday nights, there shall be gear activities (labels! fixing! cookies!)
- third winter katahdin!
- march 17th and 18th! also doghead
- there will be goldfish
- EVERYONE should sign up
- email will be out soon! (lottery style again)
- super tentative coc sleepover!
- no windows so you can’t tell what time it is!
cabin and sugaring both absent
all camden comrades absent
and so concludes this week’s serving. this post constitutes 100% of the weekly recommended minute value for the average person’s diet.
as you were,
hello and welcome to another edition of soren’s finest™ minutes, hot off the press. GAZE upon the finely crafted words. ADMIRE the courageous endeavors of colby’s most daring outdoorspeople. DARE to push the limits of what we call the ~outside~
what we done did
- cam snowshoed up bradbury mountain, fun was had
- chloe and hannah went skiing in canada, it was pretty fun, kinda icy, very canadian
- wavus people went cross country skiing, also camped in eustis, also went to french mountain, which was lovely
- soren and kaitlin went up round top, the top was indeed round
what we gonna do
- soren wants to do something at night
- max wants to lead a short or not short trip on sunday
- kayak clinics are a thing once more
- in the pool at the ac
- beginners to experts!
- ryan and lisa are leading a second tele clinic in two weeks’ time
- michael wants to lead something saturday, pls talk to michael
- hannah might lead a dialogue trip this weekend with dwayne
- looking for leaders! and facilitators!
- like a normal trip but there’s a specific topic (dialogue)
- if you’re interested, come talk to k council so we can help arrange things
- past topics: gender roles, accessibility in the outdoors, first gen at colby and the outdoors
- tryna get rid of some old t shirts, though they’re pretty spiffy
- tabling in spa monday through friday from 11 to 2
- let anna know if you wanna table! or else just sign up in the spreadsheet that she sent out
- shuffle 13
- shimmy 12
- you folks were close but ended up disappointing me
- two more wfa certifications coming up in april!
- also if you recently became a trip leader, please send in a blurb about yourself and a pic of yourself in the outdoors so we can stick ya on the website
- except you emma, we got your stuff, we’re just being slow about it
- this thursday, SPACECOC
- collaborative clinic between space club and the coc
- constellation ID
- cookies and hot chocolate plus a trip to the observatory!
WAVUS PEOPLE GET OFF UR PHONES
- trees are tapped!
- THE SAP FLOWETH
- if you wanna help collect sap then talk to martin or sign up on the spreadsheet he sent out
that will be all. back to your regularly scheduled homework. run along now.
After an excruciatingly long break, the long-awaited return of Sexcretary Krumholz is already here, if only for one week. So it’s time to dust off those reading glasses, polish those reading chairs, and get ready for a doozy. The following are the mostly-true, probably-unadulterated goings-on of the Outing Club this past week.
What we definitely did:
- Dom ‘More or’ Leskiw (and others) watched the sunrise Friday morning then ate one pancake. For those wondering, the pancake was larger than his face (an above-average 13 face units)
- Taryn ‘Go’ Waite went skiing on Friday – it was fun
- Michael ‘Definitely not Cosmo’ Kramer and Macey ‘Smallfire’ Broadwater led a trip to Megunticook – Macey said it was “wonderful, spectacular, cemetery, fruitful”
- Luke ‘PB and’ Kelly and Sam ‘Falls Into’ Wells and Henry ‘The’ Doud and others (including me!) went to Bald Mtn, yet (unexpectedly but thankfully) did not become bald
- Max ‘Honest’ Abramson went XC skiing at Quarry Road on Monday – no one asked him a follow up question
- People played with glow sticks on Monday! Bentley ‘Tippy’ Meyer did not fall over, which I for one don’t believe
- Charlie ‘Corn on the’ Cobb went XC skiing all day every day, which seems a little extreme (XCtreme?) in my opinion
- Dom ‘Nickname Already Established’ Leskiw and Macey ‘Ditto’ and others went sledding on Friday – Dom almost hit a tree accidentally, did hit his roommate on purpose
- Max went to foss and danced in contra style
What we probably will do:
- Max wants to lead a cross country skiing clinic sometime this week (preferably Tuesday)
- The Colby Garden is hiring student workers – ask Nick Pattison (email@example.com) about it!
- Soren probably wants to lead two trips per weekend for the rest of the semester – he wasn’t at the meeting but it seems likely
Wilderness First Responder:
- If you’re interested in the Wilderness First Responder course taking place over Jan Plan Break, get in contact with Max Abramson (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately!
- Ryan is running another tele skiing clinic; keep an eye out for sign ups
- There will be another Winter Katahdin trip in February on the 24th and 25th! Keep an eye out for sign ups going out soon.
Question of the Week:
- Fruit at bottom – 9
- Flavoring – 6
- Tell us (email@example.com) if you know where to get good cheap snow pants!
- Skates have been sharpened!
- We’ll be sending people to the MYTAC trailwork summit in March; if you’re interested, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com for more info
- Macey became a leader!
- THE SINGLE BATHROOM THATS ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF FOSS THE INCREDIBLES THAT ONE [redacted] TEN TWO COOKIE DOUGH KATAHDIN CRUMPLE DIDGERIDOO PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCHY
Well, that’s all from me. Hope you have a wonderfully cold Jan Plan Break, and may you stare at the sun a lot but not for a dangerous amount of time.
Jan Plan is in full swing and so are various things performed out of doors! People with waxed bits of wood strapped to their feet! People with claws strapped to their feet! People with spikes strapped to their feet! People with feet! Read about em here!
Also I have decided to flee the cold and go to Bermuda for a spell so adios until the spring semester
what we done did
- dom watched the sun rise at a beach, “it was lovely”
- michael stone did the thing where he went down the mountain on friday with the colby learn-to-ski program
- michael kramer also tried to do that thing but couldn’t
- nat tried to do that thing twice, succeeded once
- ben went up french with some people known to sam (ie, sam) good views were had
- taryn and max and soren tried to do mt. madison but it was windy so they didn’t
- brittany went skating on johnson pond! even the snowy section like the intrepid explorers they are
- max went cross country skating and the lifts were closed but it didn’t matter
- grace went sledding on that one hill with the chapel
- soren and taryn and macey and jimmy went up old speck and the fire tower was scary
what we gon do
- julia’s annual french sunrise with early bird breakfast (paid for) on friday morning, leaving around 6 am
- max wants to lead a xc ski clinic on saturday, looking for co lead (sam?), doesn’t need to teach
- michael kramer wants to snowshoe some sort of mountain on saturday, looking for a co lead
- sam wants to lead a trip up bald mtn with sam wells on sunday ~~~4 miles near rangeley
- michael stone still wants to play wiffle ball!
- sign ups are still somehow open!
- feb 2nd through 5th & april 3rd
- all that jazz about substituting for wfa
- wolfdog is leading a tele ski clinic on wednesday, 3pm to 9pm, dinner provided
- must be able to ski parallel downhill and stop safely
- lottery is tomorrow (1/22) so sign up asap
- first one is set, next weekend
- second one in february, sign ups after jan plan
- is harry potter a documentary or merely based on true events?
- documentary – 8
- true events (all the others) (which was like 13)
- both michaels had their eyes open, for the record
night of 1000 glow sticks
- roughly 1000 glow sticks
- super fun
- snowshoeing, sledding, skating
- 7-9 pm, meet in the coc, get lit, get gear
- if you wanna help out, sign up on the spreadsheet
- SPREAD THE WORD
- movie night? probably? maybe tuesday.
- movie tbd
- contra dance is this coming saturday, evening ish? 7 pm! look for an email
- “no creativity necessary”
- “talk to us, we’re lonely”
- wanna help with gear? come by during office hours on thursday nights! or any weeknight but friday!
- 1,000 pieces of gear have been checked out this year!
- uhh that one
- he would eat bentley
- ally russell?
- allergic to cottage cheese
- you can find out later
- not gonna answer
and thus concludes my final minutes of jan plan. also for the record the people here think 65 is cold so chew on that for a while.
welcome back to the 2018 edition of the colby outing club! get your (or our!) snowshoes ready cause the cold frozen white snow is here to stay.
what we done did
- lilli played on a frozen canadian lake, did not turn into a mountie
- alex learned how to tele ski!
- ian lost his phone on a mountain
- megan learned how to cross country ski
- dominick hiked in the camden hills
- dean found a frozen lake with creepy fishermen, also dogs eating chocolate? confusing story to be honest.
- nat went arb-shoeing
- max went sledding on a day last week at quarry road
- lots of people went skiing, woo
- hannah and anna and taryn went snowshoeing in the arb (good riddles were told)
- soren and his dad tried snowshoeing up a mountain, didn’t make it
- addie went rock climbing
- james went up mt. moriah with some people
- soren crashed his car!
what we gon do
- max wants to lead a trip!
- hannah wants to lead multiple trips this week! preferably short xc ski or snowshoeing!
- max wants to lead a xc clinic at quarry road this week
- soren wants to go up old speck this weekend!
- sam wants to lead a trip on sunday, shorter, to get someone their co-lead, and also a shorter trip!
- over jan plan break + one day in april (the 21st)
- wilderness first responder, a level up from wilderness first aid
- “it’s great” – sam
- stay tuned
- during office hours on monday! tomorrow!
- come! learn! mingle!
- @ges students @people who wanna learn
- winter ascents of maine’s tallest peak! with professional guides!
- “very cool” – max
- jan 27 – 28, lottery style sign ups
- also one in mid to late february
- fully subsidized! wowee!
poll – pajamas or paJAMas
- pajamas – 18
- paJAMas – 7 (would’ve been 8 but lilli peeked)
- pretty decisive but y’all chose the most boring possible way of saying it
- michaela is leading a clinic this thursday!
- how to identify plants in winter! & leaf pressing!
- she has so many leaves
- also sign up for clinics!
- whittling wednesdays returns!
- movie monday! at 8 following the open house, movie tbd (it was emperors new groove)
- craft night on tuesday? not sure!
- thursday evening, after clinic, snow pants or no pants!!!
- jan 27th! contra dance! no prior skill or ability of any kind needed!
- jan 22nd! night of 1000 glow sticks! sledding and skating and snowshoeing
- winter skills training this wednesday!
- 1 of your co-leaders must have this, it’s necessary to lead trips in winter
- 4-6 PM in diamond
- covers ice safety, layering, hypothermia, etc.
- pond should open on tuesday!
- return ur gear
- especially during jan plan
- road is plowed, the driveway is not
- we would like a foursquare ball please
that about covers it. please, if you have a foursquare ball, deliver it unto us. this is urgent.
thx for reading & until next time,
behold, the last hurrahs of 2017! read about our glorious expeditions of the past week and then stare into the utter void of winter break. yeah there’s no homework and you’ll probably all see your families and celebrate whatever holidays you celebrate but there’s no COC trips so what’s the point??
what we don did
- abby did not
- emma walked around the fake tree forest in the sparkle festival in freeport! actual reindeer!
- james went up a singular bigelow and there was a foot of snow at the top! a fun harbinger of things to come
- henry went up one baldpate, also snow, just sweat though
- soren spilled hot chocolate on his laptop in the course of writing this
- soren also climbed some trees
- anna went for an arb run, it was sad and dead looking
what we gon do
- still happening jan plan break
- probably fun
- subsidized for those who need wfa / a re-certification
- send your questions to trips & facilitation!
- sign ups close tonight!
- those lucky winners will be notified on monday night!
winter ascent of katahdin!
- planned, kinda ice climbing, kinda hiking
- sign ups in jan plan for one, in spring semester for a second
- if you’re interested in leading one of these (must be a COC leader) shoot me an email!
- 13 said that “next saturday” is the 9th
- 3 said that “next saturday” is the 16th
- good job y’all
- if you wanna become a leader talk to michael or max
- trips committee is tired
- fun events to come!
- stove clinic this thursday! probably!
and that’ll do it. hopefully these minutes are enough to get you through the cold cold break and into the new year! at which point there will be toasty minutes once again!