THE FIRST MEETING OF THE SECOND SEMESTER OF THE YEAR. From the bottom of my heart I’d like to welcome back all avid readers of this forum/ lovers of the outdoors. Here be the minutes:
Jan Plan Break and Beyond:
- People went skiing at sugarloaf (shocking, I know)
- Max, and Maddy, and Fini, and Sam, and some Acadia Mountain Guides mountaineered up Katahdin. They also mountaineered down Katahdin. It was sendy.
- The once and future sexcretaries (Samwise and myself) made a triumphant return to the COC after jan plans off campus with a less than triumphant hike to Mount Megunticook, followed by lunch on Mount Battie, and a stroll to a lighthouse.
- Abby went to Quebec and cross country skied in FRENCH. It was fun.
- L cubed (Laura, Lilli, Lola) went on a hike to Sears Island. They saw some “nice” rocks.
- Spencer is taking a WEMT class, that’s like an EMT but with upgraded Wilderness skills.
- Bossi squad + Julia went on Johnson pond. (Johnson pond PSA, don’t let your skates get stuck in the cracks, you will fall).
- Grace “the truant” Fowler skipped the first 3 days of school and back country skied in COLORADO with E Q Wood (we are all envious).
- Fini, Maxwell, and Soren are leading a hike up one of the many Bald Mountain’s in Maine (more on exact location later)
- Lilli and Catharine (??) are leading a trip to do some trail work in Bradbury State Park.
- The Second Annual French Mountain sun rise + Early Bird breakfast hike is happening. It will be led by myself and the Notorious HJB (Hannah Jean Bossi).
Super Duper Future outside:
- Talk to Abby if you’re interested in leading a white water rafting trip (with guides) this spring
Adirondack Trail Improvement Society (SUMMER JOB!!!!!):
- Sophie worked here for like 6 years. You get to work on a trail crew (no experience necessary) and help maintain over 105 miles of trails in the Adirondacks. Email Sophie (email@example.com) for more information.
- BANFF Mountain Film Festival is going on TOUR in Maine. We are trying to organize transportation to go this weekend. So keep your eyes peeled for another email from meeeee. Here’s the trailer for it. Get amped.
- Trips: Trips descriptions go to Julia (not Sam) now. They need to be in before 8 on Monday.
- Gear: meetings Tuesdays and Thursdays on Wednesday
- Keenan made a movie starring Sage and Max. There will be a screening at 6pm on Thursday in Kassman Auditorium. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.
- Hannah Peters’ farmer heart needed to go study agriculture and we miss her dearly…but we now have an open committee head spot, apps are due before next week’s meeting.
Shout outs from Sam/Spencer: Apply for COOT and Hall Staff!!!!
Peace n luv,
PS Next week is bring a new person to a meeting week. Bring your friends!!!
Hello, it’s me. I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet [your new secretary]
Here’s what happened last week (and last semester?)
- Ski trip happened- Signups go live every Friday on ColbyNOW
- Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my! Anna went to Jackman-She recommends literally anywhere near the US-Canada border. Notice: Has not crossed it yet, nor has she snuck up on it
- Brownies were used and microspikes were consumed by Lilli. I think thats right.
- Logan and RadDad went Ice Climbing. They were very excited to be excited about the same radness.
- Eli went up Mt Washington- skiing was bulletproof. No skiing was harmed in the making of these minutes
- TylerMac went to Patagonia and backpacked for a fortnight (this did not happen in one weekend)
- Tom Kiffney returned from abroad-but-not-really-abroad (YAY)
Things that will happen as tomorrow becomes today (woah)
- Michael ‘Pebble’ Stone wants a colead! Brittany is down. Look for something Friday Afternoon
- Lilli is chill (and leading a trip as such) Hit her up ASAP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Kramer wants to do something else… v unclear
- Young Stone also wants to sn-ayak (snow-Kayak)
- Contradance! Tuesday @ 7pm ! Anna is amped! No talent required. Maine folk dancing- with a live caller and a band! Twirling highly reccomended
Winter Skills- Postponed. Rescheduled TBD. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns!
Bates Outing Club stuff will happen! Trampoline park & Salt Pump takeover (BBC vs CBB)
- Gear– Lots of toys. Come play!
- Trips– Talk with them about the process. Update leader profiles. Anna plugged contradance. PSA leaders get prodeals! Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cabin/Sugaring– It’s still cold. Sap will start running l8r
- Events- Movie night happened. More will happen. Including this week- Wed@8pm
Logan is sledding after the movie on wednesday! (~9:30pm)
Whiperlight Clinic- Tuesday night at 7
Ski Tuning Clinic- Thursday night at 7!
Night of a Thousand Glowsticks- Monday the 23rd! Brittany is amped. She promises 2000 glow-sticks minimum. Skating, Skiing, Sledding, Romping, Adventuring, Snark Hunting.
PSA THE ICE ON JOHNSON POND HAS BEEN DEEMED OPEN. 14 INCHES OF ICE. SEE YOU OUT THERE!
What a time to be alive – A beautiful secretarial interim. @Sam- I am your father. @Julia- game on. Welcome to 2k17 all! Stuff will happen!
What have we done?!
- Michael went to a fortress ( a castle on a mountain) in Israel. He saw the dead sea.
- Anna & Duncan & Alyssa went not snowshoeing in acadia. Tactical Buttsliding most definitely occurred. Microspikes were remembered.
- Park and Lilli and Katie went XC skiing. Park is now in Bermuda. Apparently unrelated.
- Keenan snowshoooooo’d on Runnals. Snow said to have a similar crunch to an Oreo. Unclear on whether or not it was Double Stuf
- ICE COOT WAS DANK
- Some snowshoers didn’t use snowshoes… intruiging
- Other snowshoers carried snowshoes for nearly an hour.
- Fish were caught from beneath the ice. Hiking also occured!
- Rumor has it that Karlene was here snowmobiling!!
- Indoor climbers pranked a lot.
What’s happenin’ in ’17?
- Lilli wants some low-key MicroSpike action on Sunday. Possibly to the west Coast
- Max is leading an XC ski clinic on TUESDAY! 1pm-ish. Contact email@example.com to colead with him!!
- Logan wants Cadillac sunrise hike on Sunday. Possibly has a co-lead?!
- Julia wants a sunset French hike! PSA that Logans low-key and Julia’s low-key are probably a little different. This one will be more low-key for beginner adventurers!
- Anna wants to → Acadia (again! yay!)
- Tele clinic Wednesday at da Loaf. Led by Ryan and Spencer. Unequivocally the best thing in the coming week. No experience necessary!
- Winter Skillz Training- 5-8pm on Wednesday with Ryan
Signups will go live Tuesday night! @Leaders, send me your blurb by tomorrow night to be included in the trips email!
- Gear: New Skates New Sleds New Skis New Pants New other stuff
- Gear Hours Tues/Thurs 7-8pm
- Trips: JanPlan is the time to become a leader! Do winter skillz stuff!
- Cabin/Sugaring: Meetings will occur immediately after outing email ends!
- Events/Community Outreach: Welcoming Nat as the new chair! Upcoming things:
- Night of a Thousand Glowsticks- 1/23
- Contradance on 1/17 (Contact Abbey Gracey if you want a Contradance Club!!)
- Lots of other STUFF
WFR is happening over JanPlan break- Contact Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested. This is an industry standard for many outdoorsy jobs!
EMT –> Wilderness EMT bridge course being offered in Febuary. Email Spencer (email@example.com) if interested! PSA this is open to folks currently in the JanPlan EMT class.
Matt Johnson is Warm&Fuzzy
OHO MEANS OFFICIALLY HANGING OUT, BUT NOT LEAVE. HANG OUT WITH US WE ARE COOL. ESPECIALLY DURING OFFICE HOURS. CAUSE THAT’S WHEN WE ARE THE COOLEST I SWEAR!!!
PS Join our email list: http://www.colby.edu/outingclub/how-to-add-yourself-to-the-coc-mailing-list/
Well folks, this is my last official minutes for you all. It’s been an honor transcribing notes into barely understandable minutes for you wonderful people, but I will now be giving up the reigns to the wonderful Julia von Ehr. I’ll try to jump in and do minutes once or twice when Julia finally misses a meeting (unlikely), but I can’t promise anything. For now, enjoy:
What we been up to:
- Lilli and Sophie and probably their trippers went to Douglas Mountain. Unfortunately, there were no Douglas Fir trees. Apparently there are none this side of the easternmost Douglas Fir trees in the country.
- Jake and others went to Morse Mountain and the beach. They felt the sand between their toes. There was nudity, but only their feet. There was also jam, commonly known as fruit blood.
- Fini and Greyson led a fantastic Thanksgiving trip and had fun. “We had a good mixture” – Fini
- Kaitlin went up Tumbledown with some home friends. Found a crevasse. Also went up Mount Zircon. Was lame at first. Wasn’t lame later.
- Nat went to Sugarloaf and saw people. She learned how to ski, sort of.
- Mo ran a turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. She beat all the young children, which was her only goal.
- Logan went to the Bigelows for the first time. Didn’t get naked, unfortunately and surprisingly.
- Ryan (Wolfdog) sat in a woodfired hot tub right next to the Dyer River, proving yet again that literally everything he does is cool.
FUTURE (there’s not a lot of future because the semester’s ending):
- Sunday night study skating break on the hockey rink 7:30-9:30 with Skate Club and Hawaii Club(?!)! Keep a lookout for more info.
Mittens vs. Gloves:
- Mittens 23 vs. Gloves 19. “Gloves are like each finger has their own mitten”-hbossi
- ALERT: Since Wolfdog voted for gloves and his vote is worth 6, gloves now actually wins by 1 vote.
- SECOND ALERT: I did not watch the whole video in the link for mittens, so my apologies if it gets even weirder than it started out. It started out pretty weird, so that could get bad.
NEW Bigelow Budz:
- We have New BIGELOW BUDZ!!!
- The new Sugaring co-Committee Head is Martin Deutsch!
- The new Community Outreach Committee Head is Natalie Joyce!
- A HUGE HUGE thank you to Anna Caughron, Rachel Bird, and Lydia Wasmer for all the work they have done as committee heads over the past semester, and well wishes for their travels abroad.
- Tons of new leaders!
- Winter training!
- Add it to your profile!
- Events/Community Outreach:
- If you entered your name in for a spot on one of our Spring Break trips, you will hear back by the middle of this week!
- Grace told us all about High Mountain Institute (HMI)! Here’s a recap:
Summer Term (internship)
– A five-week program (with ~4 weeks of training) that combines academics, rock climbing, fly fishing, and wilderness expeditions in the Rockies. As an intern you will help teach courses, lead backpacking expeditions, support residential life, and play an integral role in creating a wonderful summer!
– Professional residency program in traditional and outdoor education.
– Semester program for students ages 18-22. The fall semester focuses on rock climbing, wilderness, and conservation in the American West and Patagonia, while the spring semester focuses on wilderness, conservation, and culture in Patagonia.
- Michael became leader!
- ANSWERS: DIAMOND THIRD FLOOR STALIN THREE NOT OFTEN ENOUGH I DONT KNOW FORGOT TO PUT THEM ON YOU BASEMENT OF OLIN DOGS IVE NEVER BEEN IN THE YEAR AND A HALF IVE BEEN HERE CHEDDAR I KNOW ITS BORING BRIE WHAT
- Nat became leader!
- ANSWERS: FOLD TOTE ROAD ITS THE ONLY ONE IVE EVER BEEN DOWN DIDGERIDOO FLANNEL KANGAROO THIS KID NAMED CARSON HE HAD BLONDE HAIR FUZZY MATCHING CRUNCHY ARMADILLO PEANUT BUTTER LEFT
- Harry became leader!
- ANSWERS: SPENCER DARK CHOCOLATE WITH THE SEA SALT BRIEFS GEESE I HAD TO LEAVE THOSE SHOES WITH THE GIANT RIBBONS ON THEM ONES WITH POM POMS KNEW ID BE HOT SEATING THE CHAIRS ON THE THIRD FLOOR
- Lilli became leader!
- ANSWERS: ELI CAPTAIN AMERICA WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS PORPOISES COC FUDDRUCKERS HELL YEAH PROVOLONE EVERYWHERE DECIDUOUS GRANITE PICK N SAVE
- Greyson became leader!
- ANSWERS: OWENS YES HOFFMEISTER CONCERTO 2017 UH ANTLERS LOBSTER GREY1026 CRAWFISH MYSELF DEFINITELY THE TURKEY BREAST ROTARY PUMPKIN PIE
Hope you’re all enjoying this cold stuff that’s falling from the sky, because I sure am. Although watch out, sometimes it hides little patches of ice. And ice can get slippery. Anyway, I hope everyone has a not-too-stressful finals period and an even-less-stressful winter break. And watch out for the ice.
The last time Sam missed a meeting he said he was going to be here for every meeting until the end of the semester (lies). Since he is a liar, I’ve been bestowed (once again) with the task of doing the minutes. I hope these minutes are everything you wanted, everything you didn’t want, and much, much more. Lastly, in the wise words of Albus Dumbledore, “Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”:
Into the Pensieve (aka the past):
- Olivia, Reesy Peesy, Catharine, and others went to the 100 year old Acadia National Park to hike the Beehive (buzzzzz). Olivia taught everyone how to do Soulja Boy on the summit (it was DOPE). Olivia just got up during the meeting to show off her dance moves; she really can do the Soulja boy dance, ladies and gents, this is not a joke, this kid has got some moves.
- Scott “Scooby Doo” Batchelder, Logan, Amy, Max, Jeremy, Charles, Matt Johnson from Johnson, and co. went to Big Moose Mountain and saw 0 moose, I’m really disappointed in y’all. Although they did get donuts at a bakery so it’s a win-lose.
- Keller and his uncle went to Andover for some hunting. Talks about hunting ensued (something about points and whatnot, idk)
- Tanner, Eli, and PJ went to…you guessed it, PJ’S HOUSE. They climbed in North Conway, Tanner slept on a window sill. much send.
- Hannah, Sage, and Ella went hiking in Camden (Mount Battie).
- Nat led a trip that was meant to go to Mount Blue but ended up at Sugarloaf somehow (SERIOUSLY WUT). Some falling occurred. Much TBSing (tactical butt sliding) was utilized.
- Kaitlin brought a carload of boys to the cabin, they took the dock out of the water. THANK YOU KAITLIN AND CAR LOAD OF BOYS. YOU ARE RAD.
- Amy Lo and friends hiked Mount Megunticook.
- Maddy and Martin and trippers also hiked Mount Megunticook.
- Sam Wells and friends also ALSO hiked Mount Megunticook.
- THEY ALL SAW EACH OTHER ON MOUNT MEGUNTICOOK. What are the odds? seriously…
What the Prophecy foretold (aka the future):
- Fini and Greyson (and Greyson’s adorable cat) are gonna lead a super fun Thanksgiving break trip.
- Karlene the Dean (that has a nice ring to it) is organizing some great FREE opportunities to get ski lessons over jan plan (more on this later)
- THERE WILL BE NO COC MEETING NEXT WEEKEND (11/27)
Pecan vs. Pecan:
This poll was brought to you by Abby Mulligan’s amazing pecan pie baking skills.
- Pecan as pronounced pee-can (like urine + a container for beverages): 20
- Pecan as pronounced pe-khan (like Ghengis Khan): 18
- Sherbet Lemon as pronounced sherbet lemon (like a muggle sweet I’m rather fond of): 1
- update your leader profiles if you took WFA or went on LTT
- Spencer and Logan are building some shelving
- We got hiking boots (so many boots)
- Park threw shade at Eli
- they are putting together a calendar of fun jan plan events (like movie nights, and game nights)
- wood was collected and stacked
- yay FIRE
Open Committee Positions:
- Martin read his platform for sugaring committee (did you know Vermonters don’t have blood, but straight maple syrup running through their veins?!? fascinating)
- Since no one else has applied for any committee positions we will be accepting platforms until this Wednesday!
- we currently have openings for Events/Community Outreach, and Trips Facilitation
Julia “has a really cool name” Nelson: Dana, dogs, Spencer, sofas, sitting on the toilet, flavor blasted, left, when does he work out?, cranberry juice, double fisting is better, foss
Warmest of Fuzzies:
Everyone who took out the dock, Greyson’s cat, all of Nat’s trippers for hiking up sugar loaf, Nat for falling down sugarloaf, Julia for hot seating, all the underclassmen at COCsgiving, Park’s first year friends, Harry for his chats with Spencer, everyone who jumped in the lake, Logan for doing pull ups, PJ and Tanner for taking Eli climbing, everyone who sent Mo snaps, gear committee, Maddy for co leading with Martin, Park for being Park, PJ because he is PJ, Sam, Hannah, and half of Logan, cat harnesses??, everyone who took the dock out, people who brought food to COCsgiving, Park and Abby for putting up with surf club, Sage just cuz, Chris for helping Spencer with comp sci, Logan and Harry for not wasting chicken, Abby’s pecan pie, Spencer and Logan for help with the printer, the LoTemplio family, people who took free gear (ps keep taking free gear)
To all my friends, family, and enemies,
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving break. Catch up on sleep, eat some food, get outside, pet a dog, smile. I’m thankful for each and every one of you, faithful minutes readers (even you, Sam).
With a love powerful enough to vanquish the Dark Lord,
Well team, it’s getting to be that time of year again. The time of year when Mother Nature confuses us with beautiful 55 degree days and then ambushes us with hail and freezing wind when we least expect it (the week before finals). The smell of dead leaves is in the air and the taste of turkey is in the Dana burgers. And with this wonderful time comes the last few weekends before we must break out the snowshoes and snowpants and snowshirts. So let us take great advantage of our unburdened shoes, pants, and shirts. Here’s what’s up:
What’s going on in the past dimension:
- Hannah ‘Cranberry Sauce’ Peters went to French Mountain and Mount Philips with her aunt. Beautiful views, beautiful day, beautiful life.
- Keenan ‘Stuffing’ Boscoe and Anna ‘Sage’ Jordan and Cranberry Sauce led a walk in the arb with the Colby Feminist Alliance and made new friends!
- Caroline ‘Green Beans’ Webb and Sam ‘I’m not giving myself a nickname’ Krumholz and Julia ‘Slice of Turkey’ Nelson and Catharine ‘Mashed Potatoes’ Christie and many other cool people hiked Ragged Mountain! There was no blood/sweat/tears/nudity, but my knee hurt a little bit.
- Sophie ‘Table’ Janeway and Hannah ‘Pecan Pie’ Bossi hiked French Mountain and the sunset was extraordinary. Lighting on the trees was magical. Everything was magnificent.
- Rachel ‘Turkey Before it Gets Killed’ Bird and Michael ‘Kitchen’ Kramer hiked up the wrong Bald Mountain. Trippers were troopers. Michael almost lost his phone. Moon was huge, but not as big as a moose.
- A bunch of people went outside and pretended to die a lot. ‘Bloody’ – Natalie ‘The Oven’s on Fire’ Joyce. ‘Death’ – someone else.
- To clarify, they took a Wilderness First Aid course, in which almost no real death or blood takes place.
- CONTRADANCE happened. Many people followed directions exquisitely. Some people followed directions adequately. All people danced. Thanks to Anna ‘Door Closest to the Table’ Caughron for setting it up.
- Cassandra ‘Chair That Used to be At the Head of the Table But No Longer is At the Table’ Biette watched the sunrise on Ferry Beach. For those who don’t know Chair That Used to be At the Head of the Table But No Longer is At the Table, she is a freshman of the real world.
- There was a frisbee tournament on Saturday and the Dazzlin’ Asses (Colby’s team) came in third overall and first out of all college teams!
- Rugby had a Nationals game on Saturday! Unfortunately they lost but it was a great game and an awesome season.
- Logan ‘Two Slices of Turkey’ Gillen went on a trail run with a few people who would get mentioned except I don’t have enough nicknames.
- Logan and someone else and Max ‘Fork’ Abramson want to lead a trip to Mount Kineo. A boat may be involved.
- Amy ‘Wall #1’ Andreini wants to lead a moderate trip and is looking for a co-lead for Saturday.
- Nathaniel ‘Wall #2’ Rees and Catharine may lead a trip to Cadillac on Saturday!
- Sophie and Chloe ‘Vegetarian Gravy’ Boehm are leading a hike next Saturday. Will be moderate to difficult.
- At 1 pm on Saturday, there’s a dog convention in Portland! Looks to be the greatest thing that has ever happened.
- On Sunday, Kaitlin ‘Turducken’ wants to go to a fort.
- On a side note, my computer has decided ‘turducken’ is actually a word in the English language.
- Maddy ‘Wall #3’ wants to lead a day trip next weekend.
- Nat and I are planning a trip that should include an island and probably the dog convention.
BBQ vs. Sour Cream and Onion:
- BBQ 21 vs Sour Cream and Onion 26 vs Cajun Squirrel 1.
- On another side note, you all have terrible taste.
- COCsgiving (COC + Thanksgiving) is this Saturday! Make sure to fill out check out the email from Hannah Peters for more info and fill out the form so we know how many people are coming!
- Office hours Tuesday 7-8 pm.
- Those who just took WFA (or went on the LTT) should update their leader profile!
- If you’re looking for a shadow, make sure to reach out to leaders!
- Office hours Tuesday and Thursday 7-8 pm.
- They’re done inventorying things!
- Come help us tidy up the gear room on Friday! More info on the way for that.
- Contradance was lit.
- Today and tomorrow Perry Cohen will be here! Here‘s some more info on what he does.
- He will be giving a talk from 7-8:30 tonight in Page!
- There will also be a more interactive workshop from 2-5 in Page tomorrow afternoon.
- Whittling is still here and better than sometimes! We got more wood so come on down and hit things with knives.
- 2:30 pm wood stacking on Friday afternoon!
Open Committee Seats:
- Three Committee Head seats are opening up for the spring: Sugaring, Trips Facilitation, and Community Outreach.
- Platforms are due by the meeting this Sunday if you’re planning to run for any of these positions. Anyone can run!
- Let K-Council know if you’re interested or have any questions.
I hope you all learned a lot from these minutes, but if you come away with only one thing, let it be this: you need to rethink your taste in potato chips. You can pretty much forget everything else you just learned. Anyway, have a wonderful week and an even better decade. You’re all fantastic people and I’m honored to write the words that you read. Keep on rising, y’all. But never steeply.
I’m gonna say this now, I’m gonna say it at the bottom of this, and I probably already said it in the email even though I haven’t written it yet: VOTE. No matter who you’re voting for. Please vote.
Anyway, we had an even more important vote in the meeting last night, so read on to get the results of that:
Oh, the places we’ve gone:
- Matt and Soren and Ella and plenty of other young faces went on the Leader Training Trip (LTT (LIT)) and did some hiking the first day and more hiking on the second day. They also got lost driving up a mountain road, which seems hard to do. “Everything just sort of happened” – Matt
- Harry and Hannah and others went for a long walk on the beach. The trip checklist was completed as all four necessities (blood sweat tears nudity (b/s/t/n)) occurred, dispersed across the group. Tears and blood were the same, apparently. Nat flashed an innocent family. Not clear if any hiking actually occurred. “You think you’re hiking, there’s a mountain, then there’s a beach” – Harry
- Face Growler (Grace Fowler (Gwace Frowler)) hiked Tumbledown for the first time ever! No blood, some sweat, yes snow.
- Tanner and Logan (Logan Gillen (el prez)) and Dylan and PJ went climbing at Clifton. It was very adventurous. There may have been rappelling incidents.
- Dylan rappelled down everything (Woodman staircase, Diamond staircase, Diamond atrium (okay, not everything)).
- Park and Lisa went backpacking in Grafton Notch! Bernie Sanders (okay, actually a Canadian (but probably Bernie)) picked them up and brought them to their car.
- Spencer and Max and Maddy took wood to the COC cabin (I have nothing to put in these parentheses (sorry)). No tears, minimal sweat, no nudity, Max bled a little bit.
Oh, the places we have yet to go:
- Rachel wants to lead a (beginner (lunch-focused)) trip this Sunday. Beginner, short duration, nearby, lunch.
- Julia doesn’t want to lead a trip this weekend (not sure why (probably too cool)), but Eliza Adams wants to lead a Roundtop hike with Olivia!
- Sam Krumholz (me (Meatball)) will be leading a trip to Ragged Mountain with Julia Nelson this Sunday! We would love to have someone shadow it so let one of us know if interested.
- Mo wants to hike along the Messalonskee on Friday (day before Saturday (day before Sunday)) afternoon.
- Logan wants to get outside on Saturday at 2 pm (someone go with him (Logan)).
Caramel vs. Caramel:
- If you like tacos, sorry. None here. Cocsgiving (COC + Thanksgiving (food with the COC)) dinner on Saturday the 19th. We will prepare food and eat food. We will also be having a spirited debate on the theory of evolution as it pertains to turkeys.
- Take WFR (Wilderness First Responder (Course on the Theory of Evolution as it Pertains to Turkeys)) over JanPlan break! Here is the form and here is some more info.
- Trips (TFC (Trips Facilitation Committee)):
- Office hours Tuesday 7-8 pm.
- Spring Break proposals due November 10th! Get ’em in.
- Gear (Gear (Gear)):
- They do awesome things each week, according to them and others!
- They finished inventorying the snowshoes and microspikes, which is exciting because WINTER IS COMING.
- If anyone’s excited about gear, come to meetings Tuesday and Thursday night 7-8 pm in the COC office.
- If you like building things, come break things and then build them!
- Start thinking about designs for COC t-shirt!
- Events (things that happen (there’s no possible need for a second parentheses here)):
- Awesome hot chocolate event happened thanks to Events Committee + Max.
- We’re co-hosting a skating event with Skate Club! There will be hot chocolate. Hot chocoskate.
- There’s a contradance this Saturday from 7:30-9:30!!!! If you want to help buy snacks, talk to Rachel Bird or Hannah Peters. If you want to come to the contradance, come to it.
- WHITTLING will be happening this Wednesday from 6:30 to 7:30 in the COC office. NOTE THE TIME CHANGE. This is so that people can go to the Mental Health Dialogues event at 7:30.
- Cabin/Sugaring (Sugaring/Cabin (Cagaring)):
- Look out for an email about moderate to severe physical labor. Yay wood stacking.
These minutes have been brought to you by Double Parentheses (Bringing Unnecessary Clarification to Your Everyday Sentences (this is the slogan for Double Parentheses)). I sincerely hope you enjoyed them. Now, get out and vote. And if you’ve already voted, go get yourself some curly fries. You deserve them. And go get some for me too. I don’t deserve them, but I want them. Thanks.
Well, it was certainly an eventful weekend. I learned only two years after the re$t of the country that Kesha no longer uses a dollar sign in her name, making many of my prior emails moot. Feel free to disregard any prior email with a dollar sign in it. My emails will now be (relatively) dollar sign free to prove my newfound ability to keep up with current events. Anyway, here’s what happened the night after a literal mob tried to force itself through two small doors for two straight hours:
The events that done happened:
- Buck ‘Doc’ Auchincloss and Ryan ‘Roger’ Clemens and Sophie ‘Mary’ Janeway and Spencer ‘Wal’ Martin went to Sugarloaf and ran into Logan ‘Sea’ Gillen and company at some point and they hiked/skinned up and apparently skied down. I assume by this that there was snow, but it has not been confirmed.
- Logan went to Sugarloaf with Andrew ‘Sweet ‘n’ Sauer instead of doing work and pushed bikes up then biked down. This sounds scary. Good job Logan and Andrew.
- Frisbee team went to Clambake and slept outdoors in tents, which amazingly was one of the most outdoorsy things that happened this weekend.
- A lot of cool CMC people want to Evo Climbing Gym in Portland friday night for Costumed Climbing Night. Shoutout to Maddy ‘Wendell’ Wendell for putting it all together.
- Park ‘Roll’ Cawley beat some young children at a relay race, then lost to people more his age. But he wore a taco costume so he won in spirit.
- Keenan ‘#1’ Boscoe and Amy ‘Atom’ Andreini led a trip and did a lot of pumpkin and apple things because it’s fall. No one on the trip was at the meeting so that’s all I got.
- NESCACS were this weekend and some people went to it.
- Julia ‘Vince’ von Ehr ran the Freaky 5K with famous alum Cassandra ‘Let it’ Biette and speedy Adrienne ‘Race’ Carmack and presumably finished it.
All these things for us to do:
- Hannah ‘Undercover’ Bossi and Harry ‘Roll Down the’ Hill are probably gonna lead a trip.
- XC skiing clinic will be led by Logan in a couple weeks (w/ Max ‘Honest’ Abramson too).
- Whittling Wednesday will be someday this week from 7-8 pm in the COC office, not sure which day yet.
- Just kidding it’s gonna be Wednesday and it’s gonna be LIT.
Big Picture Stuff:
- LTT (Leader Training Trip) is next weekend! If you are signed up you will be going. If you are not signed up don’t go.
- If you need to make or update your leader profile, talk to Anna ‘Apple’ Caughron and Brittany ‘What a’ Bossi ASAP.
- WFA (Wilderness First Aid) is the weekend after! It’s all filled up, so sorry.
- WFR (Wilderness First Responder) will take place over Jan Plan Break if there is sufficient interest, so fill out the form on Spencer’s email if you’re interested. Here’s a link to a description of the course: https://www.wildmed.com/wilderness-medical-courses/first-response/wilderness-first-responder/.
- If you see a dog, contact Rachel ‘Is That a Plane Is That a Superman No It’s’ Bird.
- They’re making mountain biking trails behind Inland Hospital so we’re hoping to do some volunteer trailwork, keep an eye out for emails.
- Ron Tipton will be in Diamond 122 at 4:30 on Tuesday! He is a cool person and has done very well. Come see him. There will also be refreshments. He’s checking out Colby as the site for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Conference, which is a super big deal, so that’s cool.
- Cocsgiving: COC+Thanksgiving. Be on the lookout.
- Thanksgiving trip: led by Fini ‘Ad’ Just and Greyson ‘Geoffrey the’ Butler. Two days in the Bigelows at Stratton Brook Hut. Might be snowshoeing. Heated; full kitchen. Thanksgiving dinner. Short sentences. Boston at Greyson’s house. Signups close tonight (Monday) at midnight.
- December 1st (Thursday) at 8 o’clock, Colby Free Ride is bringing TGR’s new movie (http://www.tetongravity.com/films/tight-loose) to Colby. The event will take place in LoPo or Bobby Silberman Lounge, depending on how old/cool you are.
- Clarification: this event is not taking place in two different places based on your oldness/coolness. LoPo and Bobby Silberman are the same place.
Messages from those that are buddies upon the Bigelows:
- We just ordered 17 new pairs of ice skates, so get on them blades.
- Still finishing up tents. Should be done within next few weeks/never.
- Should be getting back to gear purchases soon.
- Gear Committee office hours are Tuesday and Thursday nights 7-8 pm!
- This Friday at 11 am outside the spa we’ll be making hot chocolate on whisperlites and pocket rockets. Hot chocolate, camaraderie, music from Rachel’s phone, etc.
- Contradance on the 12th (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 7:30-9:30 pm in Foss. If you aren’t excited you are clueless. Get excited.
- COC is partnering up with Bridge and Feminist Alliance to bring Perry Cohen (http://www.ventureoutproject.com/) to campus on November 14th and 15th! The 14th will be a talk about his life and the 15th will be a workshop.
- Many buckets have been washed.
- Wood will be moved on Thursday. Logan will be doing manual labor so anyone wants to watch that just put a GPS tracker on him.
- Rachel is leader!!
- ANSWERS: DIDGERIDOO STALIN EAST SECOND FLOOR CANDY CAT BATHROOM STALL HAS GIANT HEATERS I LOVE IT CRUNCHY NEITHER I MAKE MY OWN PEANUT BUTTER BOTH AT THE SAME TIME RIGHT MISMATCHED NOTHING ITS PLASTIC AND AIR TWICE NOTHING IS GUILTY
I would be remiss if I did not mention the birthday of one Julia von Ehr, the honorable sexcretary to the sexcretary. May she one day be her own sexcretary, but for today, she will just be twenty years old. To wish her a happy birthday, she has requested apples to be thrown at her from across dining halls. So, if you see her at dinner, arm yourself and fire away. Feel free to continue this after her birthday ends, she likes to feel like it’s her birthday every day.
New faces met old faces and old faces met new faces, and now all the faces know each other. For those who found that previous sentence confusing, essentially we had a bunch of lovely new peeps at the meeting this Sunday (hi friends!) and we did a name circle (again, whoop whoop).
Sam was (once again) absent from the meeting this weekend because apparently trips to go rock climbing with your sister in Colorado are more important than your duties as a sexcretary. Whatever, I’m over it.
WE BROKE FOR FALL, HERE’S WHAT WE DONE DID:
- Amy, Jake, Anna, and Don went to Vermont to get Sara from the mountains and bring her home. Sara was the president of the COC last year and she was working as a caretaker on the Long Trail this fall; she is now an expert in things like yelling aggressively about alpine vegetation and composting poop. We should all strive to be like Sara (literally y r u so cool? teach me ur ways).
- The Bossis (Chloe included), Sam, and Abby went adventuring through New Hampshire and Vermont. They too tried to find Sara but they JUST missed her. Upon reaching the summit they saw her hiking away and called after her… but their efforts were futile. This, kids, is what we call a damn tragedy.
- Duncan, Sage, Anna, Anna, Dalton, Will, Logan, and Rachel went paddling. They canoed up around Rangeley. There was blood, sweat, tears, and Logan got naked multiple times…by himself. Concerning.
- Jake, Park, SJ, Sarah, Lisa, and WOLFDOG aka Ryan Linehan went to Big Eddy campground and did some fun white water paddling. There was no nudity but things were v wet (I still don’t think both of these phrases should’ve been stated in the same sentence but c’est la vie). The trip was UNREAL.
- PJ, Mickey, Tevis, and Tanner “Jesus died for our sends” Boucher went on one of two Colby Mountaineering club trips. They went climbing in the whites in North Conway. There was learning, blood, sweat, maybe tears, and definitely lots of sending.
- Lilli, Scott, Austin, Spencer, Fini, Julia (me!), and lots of other LOVELY folks went on the other CMC trip. We climbed in Acadia. There were sea cliffs, and slabs, and crack climbing, and panda and unicorn costumes, ’twas #illuminated.
- Big Ronnie hiked the Bigelows over fall break (Logan got very excited when she said this and did a lil jig in his seat). There was FOR SURE blood, sweat, tears, and nudity 😉
- Eli went to Nova Scotia, he found some good waves. The swell was swell.
SCHOOL STARTED AGAIN, BUT WE STILL WENT OUTSIDE:
- Tanner hiked Tumbledown, he SAW SNOW WITH HIS OWN TWO EYES. He also (less excitingly) saw Park and Lisa and Lilli and her “pals”.
- There was a frisbee tournament. The boys killed it. The girls beat Bowdoin. Rap battles to the death were had (ok maybe not to the death, but still).
- Joe, Duncan, Logan and others went to Canadia where they got woody and muddy with some Canadians.
- Julia (me again, how exciting!) and others went to Acadia on Saturday will BILL our ecology professor *starts chanting Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill from Bill Nye theme song* where Bill spewed straight knowledge about e-co-lo-gies.
THE IMMINENT FUTURE:
- Keenan wants to lead a trip…more info TBA.
- There will be a roll clinic this Wednesday in da pool.
- This Saturday the cross country team will be having NESCACs at Quarry Road, come cheer on and wear costumes (Bates definitely won’t be wearing costumes)
- Sunday River will be opening this Friday or Saturday. “How cool will it be to ski all morning and then get glittered by Kesha all night?!?!?” – Spencer Martin
THE FUTURE FUTURE:
- Our next Leader Training Trip will be held November 4th – 6th.
- WFA (another necessary part of the leader process) will be happening on the 12th and 13th. If you plan on becoming a COC leader talk to K-council or Trips Committee about how to do WFA totally for FREE.
- Thanksgiving Break Trip: lead by Fini, and Greyson. They will go to the Maine Huts and Trails hut in the Bigelows, it will involve day hiking, cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and then going to Boston and doing the Freedom Trail. This trip is geared towards people who can’t go home for Thanksgiving but all are welcome, woooooo!
- WFR will be held over Jan Plan break.
JOBZ AND THE REAL WORLD:
Want to lead trips outside for a job? whaaaaat? more deets below:
- Overland Summers will be having an info session on Monday (tonight) at 7PM in Diamond 223
- Apogee Adventures will be having an info session on Tuesday at 7PM in Diamond 221
- Wilderness Adventures will be having an info session on Thursday at 7PM in Diamond 123
- Keystone Science School will be here on either Thursday evening or Friday afternoon, more info TBA.
- Abby wants you to do tent puzzles with her. RETURN YOUR GEAR FROM FALL BREAK.
- Office Hours: Thursdays from 7-8, be there or be square.
- Office hours will be on Tuesdays from 7-8, come hang.
- This week is the final week for LTT sign ups.
- this week they’ll be going to get some wood at the sugarbush, yay.
- Events/ Community Outreach:
- Fall fest was NOT a success because stoves are dangerous indoors and there was rain, BUT we have loads of hot chocolate now and will probably be doing an event soon with all that delicious chocolatey goodness.
- Meetings are in Foss at 6:30 on Thursdays.
Spencer is literally always alone.
Warm fuzzies were had, but I was too busy partaking in said warm fuzzies to write them down. I am sorry, I have failed you as a scribe. On that note…goodbye, my loyal subjects, until the next time Sam isn’t here.
Per popular demand, I have triumphantly returned to my post as sexcretary and your faithful minutes-creator. Immediately after the meeting last night, which pitted Julia and myself in a battle of the sexcretaries, I received news of many completely bipartisan polls that had me in a landslide. I tell you, these were the fairest of polls. So I have taken it upon myself to enact the wishes of the people and retake the minutes from my opponent. Anyway, here’s what I got:
The result of our Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays:
- Thursday night, Park and Father Park went on a bonding trip to their ancestor Park, Acadia National Park. They biked on a carriage path, did some hiking, then came back to Colby. Sweat and good vibes were abound.
- Saturday night, Michaela and Soren and Sam (me!) hiked French Mountain very late at night! Too dark to know whether nudity/sweat/tears/blood occurred, so we’ll assume they all did.
- Tucker and Eric rowed Runnals. Still unsure what that means.
- Keenan almost got outside with some old people. His new goal is to see how close he can get to going outside without actually getting out there.
- People made a fire on Runnals Friday night. I was one of them. Anna “FireCat” Caughron made fire out of nothing, defying every law of science.
- Owens is multifaceted. Went to Whites and made some did some business deals (seems shady). Went paddling with Lisa and Wolfdog and Small Wolfdog. Lot of fun. Lot of wet. Every two out of four peoples swam. Rad mushrooms. More puffballs. Sorry for the lack of full sentences; she said a lot of things.
- PJ went to NH (home) and climbed Cathedral. Led his first trad 5/11. ALSO HE IS BEST FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE NAMED HOBO GREG.
- Brittany and Hannah went kayaking. Brittany annoyed Hannah. Sometimes Brittany is my spirit animal.
- Austin went canoeing with Logan and Anna and maybe others. Logan was mediocre.
- Lydia and Dylan and Family Dylan went to Acadia and did not hike.
- Fall Break is next weekend! We have some trips going out, but they’re all filled up already, sorry.
- Everything else is too far away to plan. Planning is hard.
- The next Leader Training Trip will be the weekend of November 4th-6th. Keep an eye out for more information.
- A WFA (Wilderness First Aid) course will be held on campus on November 12th and 13th. Check out what kind of stuff you can learn here. YOU MUST HAVE WFA TO BECOME A COC LEADER. Sign ups will be coming out soon.
- A WFR (Wilderness First Responder) will most likely take place on campus over Jan Plan Break and the following weekend (Jan 27th-31st and Feb 4th-5th). WFR is a step up from WFA and is described here. Keep an eye out for more info.
- Proposals for Spring Break trips will be due mid-November! Spring Break trips are awesome. Check in with K-Council with any ideas or questions.
- We’re working on making a Winter Training Weekend with Ryan Linehan (probably over Jan Plan)! Keep an eye out if you’re interested.
- Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, Owens has decided to step down as Trips Facilitation Committee co-Head. She has done so many amazing things for the COC and will be dearly missed. If you have benefited from anything she’s done for the club (hint: you all have), give her a subtle but knowing head nod next time you see her. Or actually say thank you, but I think the head nod would be more meaningful.
- On the bright side, the fantastic Anna Caughron will be stepping in as co-Head! She doesn’t like head nods though, so don’t confuse the two in your greetings of them.
- Talk to Brittany and Anna if you want to be a leader!
- Tent puzzle fiasco party this Tuesday and Thursday 7-8 (PUZZLE PUZZLE PUZZLE)!
- We got new microspikes! Or, as Park calls them, mini-crampons.
- Fall Fest is coming up soon (October 22nd)! For those who have not been here for a Fall Fest, it’s basically a celebration of all things fall. Pretty self-explanatory. COC will be helping out by providing a hot chocolate making station and leading a walk in the arb. We need volunteers, so email Hannah Peters (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested!
- WHITTLING. THIS WEDNESDAY. AGAIN. BE THERE.
- It’s great.
- Gonna buy some stuff.
- Getting kicked out of boat room.
- Maddy leader now.
- ANSWERS: CMC HITCH HAS TO BE AROUND SOMETHING STALIN FOLD ON? MY ROOMMATE LINCOLN LOVEJOY SINGLE STALLS SO THEY DONT FALL OFF DIDGERIDOO NOT REALLY SMARTWOOL I CANT ANSWER THAT
Hope y’all aren’t stressing out too much over exams. Remember, the answer is usually c. If you’re writing an essay, don’t put too many exclamation points in it. A few should suffice. And when you finish a midterm, reward yourself with a few thousand french fries.
This has been “How to Survive Midterm Weeks” by Samuel ‘Meatball’ Krumholz. aDiEu.