The eminent statesman Gunther has returned to his true home, finally saved from his treacherous captors. But the kidnapping will not go unpunished. The feud rages on. Also, a meeting happened:
So many things we have done:
- Eli went to Tucks last Sunday and it was awesome. Great day. Also he went surfing today. Eli’s been busy.
- Keenan, Abby and Kaitlin did some stuff in the ‘dacks (which I’ve heard aren’t as good as the Whites). They failed to summit a very large mountain. No types of spikes were involved.
- Chloe and Eli and others went on some sort of trip with a wolfish individual. I think they skied. Eli tried to become Father Ryan. Father Ryan slept on the floor to relive college glory days. No knowledge of whether Ryan took part in other old college pastimes. Also not sure why Ryan didn’t have a bed in college.
- Park and the CMC went to Red River Gorge with the glorious Gunther. Minimal clothes were involved, apparently.
- COC and women’s rugby coordinated a trip and went to Maiden’s Cliff in Camden! There was snow! Also SWEAT. There may have also been a good old-fashioned mooning. Which is the same as a new-fashioned mooning, but in a car.
- APT 110 hiked up Bretton Woods for the sunset. “Kim rode Jenna into the sunset”-slotemps
- Amy went to Utah. Horses were ridden. Two ice creams one day. “Nothing you say makes sense”-slotemps to alotemps. Ah the wonders of sibling banter. Also there was apple cider.
- Spencer the Schmoozer and Sophie brought some never-evers (including Johanna) up to Sugarloaf and some people learned to ski! All things happened (B,S,T,N).
- Sara did some banana suit tomahawking. Don’t ask me what that means.
- Anna and Cassandra went to Death Valley and biked and flowers and low things and sea level and salt. I’m already tired of taking notes and it’s the first category.
- CMC competition happened Saturday! Bates and Bowdoin were there and climbed some stuff. There were lots of people and normal amounts of hammocks and slack lines.
- Emma, Brother Emma and Air Julia did not ski Tucks. They had no spikes. BUT there was lots of tree-hugging and lots of butt-sliding. So definitely a successful trip.
- Wow that was a lot of things.
So many things we’re gonna do:
- Logan wants to go up Saddleback and have a hot chocolate party. Let Logan know if you want to co-lead.
- Abby and Joe are leading rafting sometime in the future!
- Buck and Mo are leading a tumbledown trip on Saturday. Possibility of it being a Sasquatch hike, so if you’d like to meet a mythical creature, this is the chance of a lifetime.
- Julia and Keenan want to reenact the movie Tumbledown sometime this weekend (maybe Sunday).
- COC-CMC collaboration trip may happen, depending on how the feud goes.
- Julia and Sam (myself!) will be leading a trip up BIG SPENCER MOUNTAIN within the next couple weeks. The main task of the trip will be to discover how large the mountain’s nose is. Spencer will not be allowed on the trip.
- Spring Leader Training Trip is happening the weekend of April 30th-May 1st! Sign up here.
- MLRC Green is Not White retreat this Sunday! We will be leaving campus around 11:30. Dad (Ryan) and his kids will be there! We will be back by 5 pm. YOU SHOULD GO ON THIS. Sign up here.
- Anna is leading a bowdrill clinic on Wednesday from 7-8 pm! It’s gonna be awesome.
- WHITTLING WEDNESDAY RETURNS IN FULL FORCE THIS WEDNESDAY. Come carve some wood.
Best Bigelow Buddies Around:
- Meeting on wednesday, hopefully better than last week.
- T-shirt designs have been sent in. Jeff(?) is cool. We will have t-shirts.
- CCAK barbecue is coming up! The theme is Camp CCAK and they’re looking for people to lead outdoorsy activities. Hannah will send out a sign up sheet soon, so keep a lookout for it.
- Adventure Race will happen next weekend! More info will be coming soon.
- TGR movie contract is looking good; should be happening soon.
- Social Justice Sunday is becoming COC Storytime!
- NAKED IN NATURE CONTEST IS UP. Prize is as of yet undecided.
- Send more naked in nature photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Logan and Spencer read their platforms for the presidency! You can vote here.
Well, that’s all I got folks. Hope you read this all in an Australian accent, or else you really missed the gist of it. But then again, none of us are perfect. Except Ryan. He’s perfect.
Major credits to the WONDERFULly-bad-at-eating-donuts Julia von Ehr for taking notes during the meeting. I’ll do my best to make my minutes as different from those notes as possible, because, as we all know, she’s in on an inside plot to slowly destroy the Outing Club and all we stand for. Or maybe that’s me. Or Spencer. Who knows? Well this is an unusually long heading. Anyways, here goes:
What we been up to:
- NICK WENT FISHING MEMORIES WHERE HAD (PS it was also his first meeting!!)
- Eric went for a run in 70 degree weather (in the crabby state of Maryland)
- Jake went to the Hume center! He was gonna jump in for a swim, but there was ice, and it hurts to jump onto ice.
- PSA FROM CASSANDRA: don’t walk on ice around here, someone fell in and died in Camden last week. I was gonna make a joke about this PSA, but I feel it might not be a joking matter. So just know you missed out on a great joke in this spot.
- There was also a night time fire on Runnals (’twas a log cabin/lean-to style hybrid). Jake and Eli are “fire physicists”. I do not know who said this as I was not at the meeting. Odds-are they still aren’t on the level as fire-making legend Fire-Kat.
- Some people (definitely including Rachel) had an impromptu and completely unplanned get-together atop the steps of Miller Library to see the sunrise on Saturday morning after a full night of sleeping and general healthy behavior.
Things we might do if we feel up to it:
- Roll clinic led by Spencer and Wolf-Dog Linehan tomorrow at 7 pm. Sign ups around 9 tonight probably?
- Julia referred to Wolf-Dog as RDOG in her notes. Let it be known this is vastly incorrect.
- Tree ID clinic on Wednesday (led probably by Jack Lynch but maybe not because he hasn’t texted Sara back in typical Jack Lynch fashion). The clinic will be at 6PM even though Jack wants to do it at 6AM because ‘that’d be great for seeing birds’.
- SPRING BREAAAAAK. Rumor is that’s happening.
Things we’ll definitely do in April (not sure why this is a separate section, this is pretty much chaos, Julia):
- White water rafting?!?!?! We’d love for this to happen, it would probably be with Crabapple on the Kennebec. Yay water and helmets.
- This line of notes just said “RAD RAD RAD”. Don’t know what to take from that.
- Learn to Ski Day! All expenses paid for by COC, so even if you need to rent it’s all good. Keep an eye out for this.
- Leader training trip (APRIL 30TH) at ACADIA!!!!!! Sign ups/apps will be after break. Will be led by yours truly, so consider whether you really want to spend two days learning from me. Acadia’s great though.
- Spring WFA course run by COOT! More info on that coming soon. WFA is a requirement for a COC leader.
ELEXIONESZES (that’s Dutch for elections):
- President platforms are due April 2nd (must be a rising Senior).
- Secretary and Treasurer platforms are due April 9th (secretary and treasurer).
- Sometime after those are announced, committee head platforms will be due.
- Reminder that even previously held positions must be run for again. Complete democracy up in here.
Committee Bigelow Buddies Peoples:
- Gear with Chris (Spencer keeps disappearing):
- NO GEAR MEETING WEDNESDAY
- Plug from Logan: donate your old hiking boots!!
- Due to weird weather (read: climate change) sugaring yield has not been that great BUT there are still opportunities to help out
- Potential pancake breakfast for the Colby community
- We are very close to getting a hard structure over the sugaring shack (project run by PPD…built by students, talk to Seth if you want to help)
- Movie screening in Olin 1 on March 30th, first all black ascent of Denali: http://expeditiondenali.nols.edu/
- Working on the adventure race (obstacle course/scavenger hunt extravaganza on Earth Day which is April 22nd (PS: catching a squirrel is automatic win))
- ‘The Earth is LIT’ registered party…BYORC (bring your own reusable container) will also be on Earth Day
- CCAK brunch, need help from people that aren’t mentors to lead all the activitiezzzz
Other stuff that Julia didn’t put in a category:
- NOTE TO EVERYONE FROM SARA: pick up free stuff whenever possible (just make sure you aren’t stealing). I honestly don’t know what this means.
- Patches are on their wayyyyyy “YEAH…cool.” – Jake
- “Plug it so hard.” – Logan about getting free Maine huts and trails maps. You can order some online.
- Sir Park “P-dog” “Parky Park” “Fenway” Cawley hot seated and became a LEADER. Below be his answers:
- dogs chicken parm cuz I love it sleeping Eric Teddy not that often anymore getting pulled over late at night because I apparently cut someone off shorts, shorts, shorts YES my house
If I don’t see your lovely faces before Spring Break, have a magnificent time. Or a bad time. I ain’t your boss. Do whatever makes you happy, unless it makes me unhappy. Then you probably shouldn’t do it, because I’m your boss.
LOVE IS IN THE AIR, AND DAMN IS IT COLD. If you were too cold to come to the meeting, or otherwise engaged in some other Valentine’s Day activity, don’t worry! I’m here to sorta let you know about some of the stuff that may or may not have happened at the meeting.
Here ya go:
Recent Adventures and LESS EXCITING THINGS:
- Maddy and Mo and others went snowshoeing and it was COLD.
- Catharine and Olivia and Keenan and others (and me!) hiked round top and it was COLD. No blood anywhere though, which is good I guess.
- Sara wimped out and decided not to snowshoe to early bird just because it was -20 with the wind chill or something. Wimp.
- Emma caught a twizzler. It was actually quite fantastic.
- Sara watched some people play hockey and possibly told them when they hit each other too hard and stuff. It was probably COLD.
- Anna XC skied for the first time ever and only fell a lot! Well done Anna!
- Julia ‘just said no’ to some responsible uncles on a ski lift! A fine example for others to follow.
Those things that might happen in the time period after this current time period:
- Spencer and T$ Gregston are leading a trip to Sugarloaf Friday evening for moonlight climb. Skinning and snowshoeing are allowed; piggybacks and sledding are not; darkness, cold, and spencer are mandatory. Keep an eye out for more info on this trip.
- Sara and Jake overnight XC ski trip Friday night to Saturday night! Minor experience is recommended.
- Emma is leading an XC ski clinic on Thursday! More info on the way.
- Jack is leading trip to Devil’s Chair at Quarry Road sometime in the future. This will be a beginner ice climbing a trip and will technically be a CMC trip; however, anyone interested may sign up. The COC-CMC feud is informal and will not affect trips, only eating competitions between club leaders.
- Lidia and unknown second leader are leading snowshoeing to Early Bird Sunday morning, since Sara is a wimp.
- Emma and Julia might lead winter camping trip Friday-Saturday!
- Social Justice Sundays now after every meeting! Let us (email@example.com) know if you have any suggestions for topics.
- Next week is spirit week (hosted by SGA)! Monday the 22nd the COC (us!) will be giving out hot chocolate between 4-5 pm on dana lawn; email Jake Lester if you wanna be there! His whisperlite skill is the stuff of legend; if you haven’t seen it before you better try your best to be there.
- Tree-trimming Tuesdays continues! Come on down to trim (whittle) 7-8 pm in the office!
- Ski waxing with Sara and Spencer this Wednesday from 7-8 pm in the COC!
- Events: committee meetings will be during Wednesday community hours; stop by if you want to be involved. Movie night next Thursday! Email hjbossi with ideas. TRAMPOLINES.
- Gear: Spencer is lonely. Send him pictures of helicopters.
- Trips: community hours and committee meetings on Monday nights. Come tonight if you want to be on the committee! Also if you want help planning a trip.
- Sugaring: committee meeting Monday 7-7:15 pm.
- Community Outreach: Rachel read her platform and is running unopposed! I wonder who’s gonna win. Electronic vote this week. Best of luck to all candidate.
- Everyone send Buck nudes! But seriously, if you want to be part of the Naked in Nature competition, send Buck (firstname.lastname@example.org) your tasteful (outdoors) nudes.
- Submit t-shirt designs! We know you’re artsy. Believe in yourself. Submissions to Spencer. DO NOT SEND NUDES TO SPENCER (unless you want them to be on COC t-shirts.
- Patches by Jake Lester. Be on the lookout for an email about getting them. This is not a contest, I do not know why I put in this section. Just go with it.
- WFR certs are in! If you took WFR and haven’t gotten your cert, email Logan or stop by during community hours.
- Hannah Peters hot seated to become a leader! Here are her answers: OLIN FIRST FLOOR YARMOUTH COCONUT I DONT KNOW SHOUTOUT TO SAGE DAVID LLAMA 7UP PUFFIN PEPPERS FLYING
Before I let you all go, I must let you know of a very exciting opportunity. Our very own Eric, Tom, and Tyler have submitted an app to the Red Bull “Can You Make It?” competition and they need all your votes. Here is the link: https://www.redbullcanyoumakeit.com/en/applications/6729/. Throw ’em a like. I dare you.
I hope you all had a wonderful day of Valentines. I myself drank a lot of chocolate milk. Couldn’t have been better. Live, love, eat Twizzlers. Au revoir, amigos.
Welcome to Second Semesterrrrrrr- the semester of snow, movies, snow, thimbles, and pancakes. Though our fearless sexcretary Theodorus is gone, we will soldier on and completely forget about him until September.
So here’s what happened:
Who are the outside people?
- People went to Banff! There were movies there! If you wanna learn more, here’s the link: https://www.banffcentre.ca/banff-mountain-film-and-book-festival. I know there’s a way to make it so you can click the word link and it goes to the link, but I’m just not that savvy. Lex went to Banff. Also, Lex was here. But she’s gone, so don’t get too excited. Logan got sad about a dog.
- WFR- 9 (10?) people took a Wilderness First Responder course! Fini learned a lot. Especially which joints to let hang (hint: it’s almost never right to amputate).
- we had a game night this past friday. twas fun. words were spoken.
What’s happening in the future???
- Tripzzzzz (all going live on the calendar at 7 tonight):
- Mo and Fini are leading a trip up (down?) the Messalonskee Stream this Saturday!
- Keenan and Sam (moi) are heading to Round Top on Saturday. This is guaranteed to be the best trip of the weekend.
- Sara and Lydia are snowshoeing to Early Bird to eat on Sunday morning! Extra points if you bring a certain member of the K-Council back a plate bacon.
- Eventzszszszsz (and future tripszzzz):
- Sara and I are leading an intro backpacking clinic on Wednesday at 7. Come one, come all, come after dinner.
- Hannah’s gonna wax stuff with people in da future
- Sara and Jake will lead XC ski trip February 26-27
- Whittling Wednesdays is now Tree-trimming Tuesdays! Just an extra reminder about the importance of alliteration, which some people don’t seem to get (Cassandra). Anywayz, that starts tonight! 7-8 in COC office.
- WE BUILDING AN IGLOO
- Trips- if you wanna become a leader, look out for email and/or carrier pigeon from Julia and Anna (only select few will receive carrier pigeon).
- Events- Teton Gravity Research! Sammy C Project (http://www.tetongravity.com/films/the-sammy-c-project) will be coming to Colby with a 50% discount! Please thank your local neighborhood Bossi for this lovely event. Should be in late Feb-early March.
- Community Outreach- We need a committee head! Apply by next week’s meeting. We believe in you all.
- Gear- Committee members please do inventory of something(?). You’ll get an email. Spencer has literally no idea what we have in that locked room. Any work will be appreciated.
- Gear purchase being made soon! Come talk to us or Spencer, we have no friends. Most likely gear purchase will be helicopter
- Cabin- Amy and Kaitlin found unplowed roads. Made fire safety changes. Doing great things.
- Naked in nature contest! We gonna be naked (not mandatory). Buck is gonna look at all our naked photos and create a contest! Prize yet to be determined.
- Spencer is leading the tshirt contest! People will submit logos and we might choose one! Send your ideas to Spencer, but make sure not to send him naked photos. Unless you really want to, no judgment.
- Mo hot-seated and is now a leader! Here are all of her answers with no context- NO FOLD DIGERIDOO DIDGERI ALWAYS ONE PIECE CRANBERRY JUICE CLIT I LOVE ALL OF THEM SAM LEX DAVIS EARLY IN THE MORNING
Anyways, everyone have a magnificent week and a Valentine’s Day full of merriment, chocolate, and lovvvvvvvv. Salutations to all, and to all a good Tuesday.
JOHN BENGTSON ’15 CAME BACK TO THE OUTING CLUB, AND HE’S A CHANGED MAN; AN ADULT. jk he’s the same.
If you guys missed the meeting, hey, don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s ok! But it was the last one of the year 2015 and it was nice. Guys soon it’s gonna be 2016 CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE IT??? I CANNOT. Ok I digress, here’s what happened:
YOU HIKE, BRO?
One thousand people went skiing. Reports include some good ol’ #skitheeast hardpack, all white snow (yay no mud), an epic Owens’ coat, and burritos galore. PSA ROLLING FATTIES OPENS THIS WEEKEND so whip out ya wallets, plebes.
Emma and Sara went on a very epic and intense hike up Mt. Philip. They hiked for a LONG time and woke up EARLY (20 mins / noon) but I guess it was nice.
Buck & Sam & Keenan went to Hogback mountain (no hogs, some backs) and they had some experiences with a tractor (…) They also invented a word that I don’t fully understand but it sounds like “ingenuity” ? unsure
Sophie and Sophie (G&J) walked through the arb briskly, and it sounded like it got heated! Ask ’em about it via tumbr
Anna, Julia, and Sage went to Round Top and had a lovely hike with some people who were new to the outing club! Hoo rah new membership!
Logan hiked up the back side of the loaf on the AT, and met a very very intense man who is attempting to hike lots of mountains frequently.
Grace and Sophie hiked up the loaf, skiied down, and then did a couple runs as the Bossis!
SPRING BREAK WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO beach bods more like tuck that knotted hair into your buff #sweat
The CMC trip to Joshua Tree has, unfortunately, been cancelled. Email email@example.com if you have any questions. Otherwise!! SIGN UP HERE BY DECEMBER 10TH:
NEW TRIP FACILITATION HEADS!!
Four rad ladies read their platforms for this position at the meeting. They were eloquent and cool as cukes. Please keep an eye out for an electronic vote coming early this week!
**John Bengtson was hot-seated, grilled about his experiences as an ~adult~ and Buck was hot-seated regular.
MMMM THAT FINALS STENCH IS IN THE AYER – güd luck munchkins, just remember that soon we will be j playin in the snow (would it SNOW already???)
A famous person entered the strange college cave of the outing club office on Sunday night. And the crowds were silenced by his greatness. His wit and rad experiences and sleek noggin amazed the masses.
You missed out because Ken Meidell is a COOL MAN and he chatted with us LIKE WE WERE ALL FRIENDS!
ANYHOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo0ooOooolololol, The Minutes? Is that why you were here?
- Buck went mountain biking behind his grandfather’s farm in the Berkshires. Sounds like a fireside novel to me.
- Hannah and Brittany inaugurated a Turkey Trek with the fam! They are extremely wholesome!
- Tayte had a bonfire with some high school friends! Warmth.
- Emma Wood went skiing at Sugarloaf on Saturday! Hayburner is open. THE LAWD IS A MULE
- Emma and Lex ALSO hiked up Sugarloaf at 4 am and then skied down it a couple times! They are cool, which we already knew.
- LEX CAME IN 4TH AT A FANCY SKATE RACE THANG IN QUEBEC (Red Bull Crashed Ice) – she is practically famous, which you know to be true because she didn’t even come to the meeting, we just found that our because of HEARSAY
- Teddy went running and biking around the Cape with ex-Treasurer of the COC John Tort (he was a savant at this job btw)! He sends hugs.
- Julia took her family on a hike, and she said it was lame. (ending on a suuuper epic tale I know)
DECIDE YOUR FATE
- Biggy “Smalls” Low: Hannah squared are hiking this cool mountain that nobody’s heard of.
- Round Top: Julia wants to lead this beginner hike, and needs a co-lead!
- ~MyyysterrYYYY~: Buck and Sam want to do one we gathered via intense eye contact.
- Hike n Ski: Spencer wants to wake up early on Thursday and hike and ski at Sugarloaf. Stay TUUUNEED (do ya feel me???)
IT’S GETTIN CHILLY LET’S THINK ABOUT SPRANG BREEEAAAAKK!
- There will be many. We will be tabling in ze spa for these epic adventures THIS WEEK! They will include backpacking and skiing and other things. Details TBD!!!! (Think Death Valley and Quebec and JoshTree w/ the CMC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! among others)
ok ok THAT’S ALL FOLKS
GÜD LUCK W/ CLASSES BUT DON’T TAKE THEM TOO SERIOUSLY THE REAL FUN HAPPENS WHEN YOU #getoffyourbuttandfeelthings
ATTENTION: SAM KRUMHOLZ PLAYED ALADDIN AT SUMMER CAMP THE SUMMER AFTER 8TH GRADE.
We discovered that at the meeting. I just had to get that off my chest. AnywayZ
PEOPLE WHO WENT OUTSIDE
LTT: The second Leader Training Trip was a success!! Sam and Sara (Samra?) were supposedly good leader trainers which is shocking but we’ll let it slide. They hiked the Bubbles in Acadia and enjoyed the scenic fall days.
Saddleback: Jake and Cat and others hiked this #cool mountain. It was windy and really fun and there was even some SnOoOwwW
Clifton: PJ, Jack, and Julia (and others) went to Clifton to do some climbing! They learned a lot, did some bushwacking, and struggled to do find parking lots.
Owens: She went to the ocean and hit the waves and was trained and was tested and did super duper deee duper well!! Go Owens!
PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO OUTSIDE
Canoeing: Teddy and Emmy are planning to go canoeing this week! Details TBD, stay loony-tuned.
Spring Break!! It may seem like a very far way away, buuuut….it is. Fine, it is. BUUUUUT we have to start planning now because we are on top of our GAME!!!! So get in your PROPOSALS BY NOVEMBER 15TH.
Events: COC Thanksgiving planned for the Sunday before the holiday itself, during the meeting time, at the cabine!!!! Be on the lookout for a splendid email from Ms. Hannah “Flossy” Bossi regarding a form in which you can say what you will offer the bountiful table of friends.
Sugaring / Cabin: Wood was stocked at the sugar bush and at the cabin! Thank you to that hard work!
Gear: Send Spencer Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) just everything you’ve ever wanted with a COC logo / design on it. It’s fun and it also we’ll spread our mission and greatness far and wiiiiiide.
Trips: No comment, Owens was still in ocean mode.
OTHER STUFF THAT WE TALKED ABOUT
WFA: This weekend it is happening! If you want to do it, get your money ($152, but you can get reimbursed $100 if you become a COC or COOT leader) to the COC office by tomorrow (11/9)!!! Office hours are 7-8 pm Monday-Thurs PER USUAL team.
Hot Seat: Julia “Go get ’em” von Ehr and Brittany “Fresh” Bossi were hot seated!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means they’re now COC leaders.
THAT’S ALL FOLKS! TIL NEXT TIME! BON SOIR! BON NUIT! GOOD LUCK! smooches