In the basement of Mary Low, we live by the Golden Rule: treat others how you’d like to be treated. And personally, we like to be treated with an extensive collection of free gear. But with great gear comes great responsibility. We ask that you follow these simple guidelines to help us keep the gear train rollin’:
- Any member of the Colby community can rent gear FOR FREE.
- Nearly all gear is checked out for five days at a time. Because of high demand, ski equipment carries a three day limit.
- You can’t check out more gear than you can reasonably use.
- If gear goes missing or breaks while you are borrowing it, just let us know. Buckles break, stitching tears, and there is at least one lonely classic cross country ski stranded in the wilderness of Baxter State Park, lost en route to Millinocket hospital while riding an evac snowmobile. Bottom line: let us know if anything goes wrong, and 9 times out of 10, that’s the end of it.
- On the flip side, if you rent a piece of gear and either (1) fail to return it without explanation, or (2) break the gear by acting negligibly, we reserve the right to charge students’ Colby accounts for the price of replacing said gear.
All you need to do is this:
- Go to office hours or a meeting, talk to a member of the Gear Committee or K-Council and find the gear you need.
- Get out of Mary Low and into the wilderness!
- Return the gear no later than 5 days afterwords (3 days for skis).