Every trip we run is led by our dedicated student volunteer leaders.
To become a leader, you must fulfill the following requirements.
- Leader Training Trip. Go on a two day trip with aspiring leaders! These trips happen 3 times per year.
- Shadow one COC trip. Established COC leaders will walk a leader through the process of planning and executing a COC trip.
- Co-lead one COC trip. An established leader leads a trip alongside the prospective leader. After this adventure, the established leader will fill out a co-lead evaluation.
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid or higher. WFA is a two-day class offered once a semester on campus, or through Wilderness Medical Associates, SOLO, NOLS, and others.
- Attend at least 2 COC meetings and one office hour.
- Demonstrate knowledge of required trip leader skills and COC standard practices.
- Become driver certified through Colby College, if possible.
- Interview with the K-Council.
WFA course must be completed before co-leading a trip. All other requirements can be completed concurrently.