Every trip we run is led by our dedicated student volunteer leaders.
To become a leader, you must fulfill the following requirements. COOT leaders can follow an abbreviated process (outlined at the bottom of the page):
- Leader Training Trip. Go on a two day trip with aspiring leaders! These trips happen 3 times per year.
- Shadow one COC trip. Established COC leaders will walk a leader through the process of planning and executing a COC trip.
- Co-lead one COC trip. An established leader leads a trip alongside the prospective leader. After this adventure, the established leader will fill out a co-lead evaluation.
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid or higher. WFA is a two-day class offered once a semester on campus, or through Wilderness Medical Associates, SOLO, NOLS, and others.
- Attend at least 2 COC meetings and one office hour.
- Demonstrate knowledge of required trip leader skills and COC standard practices.
- Become driver certified through Colby College, if possible.
- Interview with the K-Council.
WFA course must be completed before co-leading a trip. All other requirements can be completed concurrently.
Fall hard skill COOT leaders must follow the same process, but may skip the LTT and shadow. Hard skill COOT trips are defined as Backpacking, Canoeing, and some Basecamps. Please contact the K-Council (email@example.com) for specifics.