Congratulations and welcome to Colby. Your student has reached an important milestone in his or her life and, as a parent, so have you. The next four years will be an exciting journey for your family. To help parents with the start of this journey, we have compiled this list of tips and links to other pages on the Colby website that are of particular interest to parents new to Colby.
If you cannot find what you are looking for from the information included here, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
On this page
Before the first semester begins
- What should you be doing between now and move in day? Check out the Class of 2021 timeline for information regarding important dates. Coming soon: Class of 2021 page.
- Read everything. In the months prior to the start of the semester, you will receive information in the mail from the offices of Student Affairs and Campus Life. Be sure to read this information thoroughly as it will include much of what you need to know to get your student to campus and on his or her way. It also includes information about financial aid, tuition payments, and more.
- Set up your parent account on the myColby portal. Here, you can pay your student’s tuition bill and view academic information and important reminders such as deadlines for financial aid applications or technology purchase guidelines. Your student will need to grant permission to give you access.
- Attend a send-off reception. The Office of Parent Programs schedules many send-off and welcome receptions during the summer across the country. These receptions are hosted by Colby parents and their students, offering new families an opportunity to meet each other as well as current members of the Colby community.
- Plan ahead. There are many resources available to help with planning logistics around move-in day, semester academic schedules, travel to and from campus, and exploring the region in and around Waterville as well as coastal Maine, ski country, and greater Portland.
Fall semester in Dijon or Salamanca
Each summer Colby parents host in their homes incoming students and their parents for joyous send-offs to Colby. If convenient for your schedule and location, this is a great opportunity to meet other Colby families as well as current parents and students. You’ll find that other parents are a great resource for questions you have about your student’s transition to campus.
The schedule and online registration form are e-mailed in early June to all incoming students and parents for whom we have a working e-mail address.
Move-in day for first-year students for the 2017-2018 academic year is Tuesday, August 29. (If your student is participating in the Dijon or Salamanca program for their first semester, the tentative scheduled move-in date is Sunday, January 7, 2018.) Overall, the best advice for planning for move-in day is to become familiar with the day’s schedule and other communication provided by Colby’s Office of Campus Life. This office organizes orientation and the schedule for move-in day, also known as arrival day. Note that there are many student volunteers and staff members on hand to welcome you and to assist with the move onto campus.
Typically, detailed information about move-in day and orientation becomes available in late July. Keep in mind that the process of moving into dorms (checking in, picking up ID and keys, moving belongings, etc.) takes place in the morning hours of move-in day. The afternoon of move-in day includes a parent session and a family reception after which parents say goodbye to their students. Parents may plan to begin their return home by 4 p.m.
Waterville is relatively close to Augusta (30 minutes), Portland (70 minutes), Bangor (60 minutes) and Boston (3 hours). Therefore, travel options the day before move-in day, potentially including a stay over en route to Waterville, may make arrival for the day’s events more manageable.
Local shopping for dorm supplies, etc.
If coming from a distance, you may choose to shop the day before or morning of move-in day. Some families report shopping online and arranging for pick-up at the nearby store location. Others plan to arrive in the region a day early in order to stock up on school and dorm room supplies.
Downtown Waterville has many specialty stores (see a full list at www.watervillemainstreet.org). Waterville is also home to Walmart, Home Depot, Staples, and JC Penney.
Augusta, 20 minutes from campus on I-95 exits 112 and 109A/B, has a large offering of stores:
- Exit 112 has Walmart, Old Navy, Pier 1 Imports, Barnes and Noble, Sam’s Club, Radio Shack
- Exit 109A/B has AC Moore, Target, Best Buy, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Bed Bath and Beyond, Sears
Sending packages prior to move-in day
A key piece of logistical planning for families living outside the region is how to ship clothing, supplies, and other items for students to campus prior to move-in day.
- Your student’s mailbox number at Colby (which is provided during the summer) also serves as the street number to use when shipping packages or mailing letters.
- On package/box, clearly label: (Student’s Full Name), Colby College, (Student’s mailbox number) Mayflower Hill, Waterville, ME 04901
- On move-in day your student will first checkin and receive dorm keys at the Cotter Union. After this, you can go anytime to pick up shipped boxes at the Eustis Service Center (basement level of Eustis Building, adjacent to Cotter Union). There should be luggage carts available to help transport boxes.
The phone number for the Eustis Service Center is 207-859-4050. Please contact the center with specific questions about items being shipped (for example, is the box too heavy or too big?).
Campus Laundry Service
This year E&R – The Campus Laundry will once again partner with Colby College to provide wash/dry/fold laundry and professional dry cleaning services to all interested students. E&R has been providing service to colleges, universities and preparatory schools for over 50 years, and has provided thousands of students across area campuses not just with clean clothes, but with an academic advantage of more free time. At Colby College, E&R provides convenient weekly pick up and drop off right from your dorm room door! For more information, please visit www.TheCampusLaundry.com, or contact E&R’s customer service team at 800-243-7789.