MA333 — Abstract Algebra
This page contains various course materials for MA333 and links to
web sites that might be of interest. Most materials are in pdf format.
I'll be adding more of these as the course progresses.
- My home page.
- Joe Gallian's web
site has some useful material to supplement the textbook.
- If you want to find out more about the Monster group and
“moonshine”, here are some references:
- There’s also a “pop math”
about it by Mark Ronan.
- Terry Gannon wrote a paper
on the first 25 years
of work on moonshine.
- He wrote
- There are, of course, tons of sites that have abstract algebra
information, including many that have course notes, problems, and
- This is the site for
which is software for understanding finite groups visually.
- Need help with your homework?
Maybe Wolfram|Alpha can help.
- Wolfram MathWorld is
more like an online encyclopedia of mathematics.
- Another nice one is PlanetMath.
- The hardest way to make a million dollars: the Clay Institute's Millennium Prize
Problems. (One down, six to go.)
Fernando Q. Gouvêa ---- firstname.lastname@example.org