Colby’s chapter of Phi Beta Kappa is committed to recognizing our students’ outstanding academic achievements and supporting scholarly work on Mayflower Hill. Our programing, activities, and awards are possible only because of the generous support of alumni over the years.
Each spring, our chapter welcomes a new cohort of accomplished juniors and seniors to this esteemed honor society. Though we have historically asked new members to pay the requisite dues, new chapter policy is to pay dues on behalf of these outstanding students. We consider this an opportunity to honor their achievement and are thankful for the generosity of Phi Beta Kappa alumni members for helping make this possible.
Our recognition of outstanding scholarly work also includes our annual Scholastic Achievement Awards presented to the top students in the sophomore and junior classes. These student honors, proudly sponsored by our chapter, come with modest monetary awards that are also made possible by gifts.
Other examples of our commitment to strengthening the intellectual life of this campus include the following:
- Sponsoring an annual student speech contest at the Colby Liberal Arts Symposium
- Providing support for students spending their summers on Mayflower Hill engaged in research projects
- Offering grants to academic departments and programs to sponsor visiting lectures
- Supporting student travel to professional symposia or conferences in which their scholarly work is presented
- Purchasing books and other scholarly resources in honor of Carol and Charlie Bassett
In these and other meaningful ways, Phi Beta Kappa will strengthen the experience of students pursuing the liberal arts and sciences at Colby. The officers of Phi Beta Kappa thank you for your dedication to Colby and our chapter. Please consider using the link below to make a secure gift to Phi Beta Kappa (select “Phi Beta Kappa” in the designation drop-down menu).