Colby Registrar's Office
Class Scheduling Options
- Fall and Spring Semester class meeting options are summarized in the Class Scheduling Grid and are described as follows:
- 50-minute meetings begin at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:30 on MWF, or any four or five days (Monday through Friday)
- Twice-a-week 75-minute periods are:
- MW or WF 1:00-2:15, 2:30-3:45, 7:00-8:15
- TR 8:00-9:15, 9:30-10:45, 11:00-12:15, 1:00-2:15, 2:30-3:45, 7:00-8:15
- (MW or WF 11:00-12:15 may be possible for smaller seminars.)
- Longer meetings (seminars, labs) begin at 1:00 or 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Four-hour labs on T or R, particularly in multi-sectioned courses, might begin at 12:00 or 12:30 to avoid extending so far into the extra-curricular "zone" (4:00-7:00 pm M-F).
- January courses:
- In general, January courses should meet on at least three (not all consecutive) days per week, including a Monday or Friday, for a minimum of eight contact hours for a 3-credit course; six contact hours for a 2-credit course.
- Please indicate choices of: morning, afternoon, evening, or all-day sessions.
- General notes and guidelines:
- Day designations: M=Monday, T=Tuesday, W=Wednesday, R=Thursday, F=Friday
- Departments and programs should distribute courses throughout the day and week.
- Too many twice-a-week 75-minute classes can increase conflicts for students and make room scheduling much more difficult.
- 1:00-3:30 meetings place unusual pressure on the schedule. Suggestions to minimize the impact:
- Do not ask for two on the same day (in one department/program).
- Match a Monday seminar with one on Wednesday.
- Match a Tuesday seminar with one on Thursday.
- If there are only two sections of a 4- or 5-day course, please don't schedule them at 9:00 and 10:00, or 11:00 and 12:00; they create conflicts for students seeking to enroll in twice-a-week, 75-minute classes.