FAQ > What is housing like in Ethiopia?
Housing at Colby College
- While on campus at Colby College REU Site students will be housed in shared dormitory rooms on the College’s beautiful 600 acre campus in Central Maine.
Housing in Ethiopia
- While in Ethiopia we will be based at a series of hotels and guest houses including:
- The Z Guest House in Addis Ababa: The Z Guest House in Addis Ababa is a small, family-owned guest house with comfortable rooms, modern amenities (private in-room showers, internet) and a great location for walking to markets and the Arat Kilo campus (Natural Sciences) of Addis Ababa University.
- The FM International Hotel in Debre Markos: Upon leaving Addis Ababa we will travel north through the Amhara Region, stopping for the night in the new and very comfortable FM International Hotel in Debre Markos, a small city halfway between Addis and Bahir Dar.
- The Ghion Hotel in Bahir Dar: We will spend several days training in the city of Bahir Dar at the southern end of Lake Tana. It is a famous tourist destination, and home of current Colby student Abebu Kassie. We will be staying at the Ghion Hotel (right on the water, with a beautiful garden, comfortable but not luxurious accommodations, private bathrooms and hot water). Wifi is available.
- The Hibret Hotel in Debre Tabor: The Hibret Hotel in Debre Tabor will be our base camp for church forest research and community outreach. The hotel is up-scale for the area, with marble floors, private bathrooms, and good food (both local and Western-style). Internet is available for a small charge.
- Alef Paradise Hotel in Lalibela: Roughly 200 km north of Debre Tabor is Lalibela, location of the famous medieval monolithic cave churches and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Travel (with our rental LandCruiser), lodging and food will be covered for this brief tourism expedition before our final return to Addis Ababa and flight home to the U.S.