Summer Interdisciplinary Research in Ethiopia Application
Application submission for the Summer 2016 program is online only, via the REU in Ethiopia Online Application (now closed).
Summer 2016 Application Deadline: Monday February 15, 2016 at 11:59PM EST.
- The Colby College Summer REU Site in Ethiopia is open to current undergraduate students from all U.S. institutions – including 2-year and community colleges, and all private and public colleges and universities.
- Past experience in social or ecological field research is not required, although some specific projects may require students to have coursework experience in statistics, ecology, or related fields.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens at the time of application and throughout the duration of the Summer REU Site program.
- Students who are selected to participate will receive a generous stipend and additional financial assistance covering transportation, housing, and meals. Students from under-represented/served groups in environmental studies and sciences, students from low socioeconomic experiences, and students from institutions with limited or unavailable research opportunities are particularly encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
- Per NSF rules, students who have received their bachelor’s degrees and are no longer enrolled as undergraduates at the time of the Summer program are not eligible to participate (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2007/nsf07569/nsf07569.htm#elig).
Application requirements include:
- Two letters of reference, at least one from a faculty member and the other from any faculty or employer familiar with your work; we encourage you to request letters early via the online letter request form;
- A complete resume of your educational, employment and volunteer work experiences;
- Information from your official or unofficial transcript, including school contact information and grades for relevant coursework; and
- An up to 500-word essay describing your interest in the Summer REU Site in Ethiopia and how the program will contribute to your educational and professional goals.
- Detailed application instructions including the application essay prompt are available on page 1 of the online application (now closed).
Notification of acceptance for the Summer 2016 program will be made by February 29, 2016.