The Department of Security works closely with the Health Center and CER (Colby Emergency Response) to respond to any and all medical emergencies on campus. All security officers receive First Aid, CPR, and AED training, and some officers and all CER students are certified EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians).
What to do in a medical emergency situation:
- Do not move a seriously injured person unless there is a life-threatening situation.
- Call Colby emergency ext. 5911.
- Give your name, location, and telephone number. Give as much information as possible regarding the nature of the injury or illness, whether or not the victim is conscious, etc. Do not hang up until directed to do so by the emergency operator.
- Stay with the victim, administer first aid, and keep the victim as calm and comfortable as possible.
- Remain with the victim until emergency responders arrive on the scene.