A minimum of one semester of study abroad is required of majors, although they are strongly encouraged to spend one academic year studying abroad at the junior level. Majors must matriculate in a study abroad program that offers university-level courses (not a language acquisition program), and all coursework abroad must be conducted in Spanish. All study abroad plans for students majoring in Spanish must be approved by the chair of the Department of Spanish. No more than the equivalent of two courses of foreign study credit may be counted toward the major per semester abroad or four-semester courses per year. Eligibility prerequisites for Spanish majors to study abroad include the completion of Spanish 135 and Spanish 231 with a grade of C or better.

The four pre-approved programs in Spain are Colby in Salamanca (Integrated Program), Hamilton in Madrid, Middlebury in Córdoba, and PRESHCO in Córdoba. The seven pre-approved programs in Latin America are Brown University CASA in HavanaCIEE in Buenos Aires, Washington University in Santiago de Chile, Middlebury in Montevideo (Uruguay), IFSA-Butler in Lima, IFSA-Butler in Havana, and IFSA-Butler in Mendoza (Argentina).