Hello there Colby College Class of 2021!

My name is Thu Le, and I am the Student Coordinator for the Lives of Purpose (LoP) program – a partnership between the Colby Volunteer Center and the Office of Religious & Spiritual Life.

When I first arrived at Colby, I wanted to have a meaningful, balanced and fulfilling college career. I knew this included trying my best in classes, helping others, and thinking critically about my beliefs as well as our world today. However, along the way I have discovered that you cannot do this alone, and that is where LoP comes in.

Transitioning to college can be tough, and LoP is designed to help you with this process through community service, reflection and friendship building. By volunteering at the Mid-Maine Homeless Shelter, you will be able to engage with the local community and learn more about the issues in Waterville. Furthermore, our regular discussions will give you the opportunity to reflect on your volunteer work and ask big questions about topics that you wish to explore, whether regarding college life or beyond.

In particular, LoP allows you to connect with other first-years from the beginning. By sharing our experience and perspectives, we build meaningful relationships with one another, faculty members, service partners and the local community.

LoP is open to incoming students of any background, those experienced in volunteering and those new. All we ask for is an interest in local service and a desire to build community around important conversations. If you want this to be part of your Colby experience, I encourage you to apply.

You will be faced with a lot of challenges and opportunities in the coming year; I suggest you say yes, try new things, and keep your heart and mind open to the unknown.

I invite you to learn more and apply at www.colby.edu/spiritual. Applications are due September 7th for the Fall 2017 cohort.

Have a great summer and see you soon!

Thu Le ‘19
Lives of Purpose Student Coordinator

P.S. Reach out to me at nnle@colby.edu if you have questions. You can also get in touch with our advisor, Kurt Nelson, Dean of Religious & Spiritual life at kdnelson@colby.edu anytime.