One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740-3843
Phone: (301) 209-3165
The Center for History of Physics is a division
of the American Institute of Physics. Its mission is to preserve
and make known the history of modern physics and allied sciences
including astronomy, geophysics, optics, and the like.
The Niels Bohr Library has outstanding collections
of materials on the history of nineteenth and twentieth century
physics and allied sciences. Holdings include:
- The Emilio Segrè Visual Archives, comprising some 25,000 portraits and other historical photographs, drawings, and film and video clips
- A collection of books related to physics
- More than 200 archival and manuscript collections
- Tape-recorded materials, including some 1,000 recordings of reminiscences and a collection of oral history interviews
- Hundreds of manuscript autobiographies and unpublished histories of physics institutions.
- A guide to the archival collections of the Niels Bohr Library at the American Institute of Physics. (International Catalog of Sources for History of Physics and Allied Sciences, Report No.7) College Park, MD: AIP Press, 1994.