Frequently Asked Questions


Below are some of the questions asked by incoming first-year students. If you have a question regarding housing or COOT that isn't answered here, please contact the Office of Campus Life ( , 207-859-4280).  For all other questions you may contact the Dean of Students Office ( , 207-859-4250).  If you'd prefer a personal response from a current student, you may want to visit the  "Ask a Student" page. 


How do I set Parental/Guardian permissions to view my Academic and Financial Information?   The Finances portal (in the blue menu bar above) or is where you go to set parental/guardian permissions to view your academic and financial information.

How do I find out what I need to do before I arrive at Colby?  The 2017 Portal is the primary resource for dates, deadlines, and information you need to make the transition to Colby. Once you set up your Colby account, you will be able to log on with your Colby account and password to access the full portal site. You will have access to all the required forms (residential preference form, COOT registration, course selection, Health Center forms, etc.),along with information about your room (i.e. furniture, bed size & height, bedding, cable TV, telephone and network connections, appliances and other relevant details), information about First-Year Orientation, information about the Student Government Association and the Student Programming Board, and other fun and helpful information about life at the College.  

Is credit awarded for college level courses taken during high school?  Yes, credit can be given if the courses were taken on a college campus along with other college students and taught by a college professor. Colby's registrar ( ) will review your transcript and determine how many credits will transfer for a particular course.   What about AP exams and scores? I haven't received my test results yet; how do I preregister for my Colby classes?  

If Colby was listed as a recipient of your scores, we will receive your scores at about the same time as you. For students entering in 2009-10 or later, credits shown will not count toward the 128 required for graduation, but can be used for advanced course placement and to satisfy distribution requirements. Individual AP exemptions will appear on the Web as they are posted. Until then, sign up for your courses as if you had not taken the APs. The Registrar will review all scores received and automatically implement appropriate exemptions and placement using your alternate choices.

If you took any AP exams before your senior year (before you knew you were coming to Colby), but none in your senior year, you should write to the testing service and have those results sent. (Colby's CEEB number is 3280.)   How does registration work? What do I have to do and who do I get in touch with when I have a question regarding a specific class?In early June a packet will be sent to you and it will include (among other items) course registration materials. 

Does my financial aid apply to study abroad and exchange programs?  Yes, your financial aid may be used for all approved study abroad programs, including those that are open to first year students in Salamanca and Dijon. A number of domestic exchange programs also permit you to use Colby aid. In any of these courses of study, student aid is based on the actual cost of the program up to a maximum of Colby's expense budget. Details about the variety of programs available may be found in the course catalogue on the web. 

When do I need to be on campus if I am planning on participating in a fall sport?   Fall first-year athletes arrive on August 27 to check in for orientation like all other first-year students.  On that day you check into your room and you may have a team meeting and one practice, depending on each coach's particular schedule.  Try outs and practices will resume after your return from COOT.  Most people coming from a distance stay over the night before in local accommodations to get an early start on the 27th. 

What about jobs on campus?  All full-time Colby students may work on campus regardless if they have been awarded a work-study grant or not. Certain times of the year job availability can be limited but the student employment office staff is available to give you some direction to help you start your campus search.  Visit the Student Employment tab for more information.

Are students allowed to have cars on campus?  Yes, all students, including first-years, are allowed to have cars on campus and parking is available in campus parking lots. All vehicles must be registered with the Department of Security (at no charge) and a student parking sticker displayed on the vehicle.

What kind of furniture items are already in the rooms? How big are the beds?
   The College supplies a bed, a mattress (not a twin size - at 36" x 80", they are considered "extra long"), a desk with a chair, a wardrobe/closet, and a dresser for each person. You will need to bring your own twin extra long bed linens, a mattress pad, a pillow, blankets, a bedspread, and towels. In the First Resources section, there is information about the Residence Hall Linen Program. Due to limited storage facilities for bed frames, Colby discourages the practice of constructing lofts. A wastebasket is essential, but should be made of metal. Tapestry-type ceiling/wall hangings, candles, oil lamps, and incense are not permitted as they present a potential fire hazard. 

How do I send packages ahead of time?
Address packages to:
Your Name
Colby College
#### Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-88## 

(Your four-digit box number will be assigned in mid-August. The last two digits of the zip code correspond with the first two digits of the Mayflower Hill box number - ie. 7620 Mayflower Hill will use 04901-8876 for the zip)
You will then be able to pick them up upon your arrival. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept packages before August 13 due to space limitations.


Do I need to select a Colby Meal Plan?  The College offers a standard meal plan (21 meals per week), included in the comprehensive fee, for all first-year students. There is no need to elect a plan. A link to daily menus and dining hall hours is available under the College Contacts section of the portal.

What is the recommended cell phone service?  While the College does not endorse any particular service, there have been positive reviews regarding T-Mobile, US Cellular, Unicel, and Verizon. You should check with your provider regarding coverage areas and toll charges.

I live far from Colby; can I come early to get into my room?
  The halls will not be available until check-in day; check-in will begin at 8 a.m. at the Cotter Union. Most students coming from a distance will stay overnight the night before in local motels.