Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for a:
PHYSICAL PLANT DEPARTMENT
The Grounds Specialist position will perform the tasks necessary to maintain the College grounds. Support campus events, perform moving and set-ups as required. This is a full time permanent position with benefits. The Grounds Specialist reports to the Grounds Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Follows all safety rules and procedures.
• Safely operates tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties.
• Works in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel. The ability to work with members of the diverse Colby community as necessary.
• Responds to emergency calls as necessary.
• Independently responds to work order and requests.
• Demonstrates communication and leadership skills.
• Works in a neat, careful, and safe manner to prevent injury to self and others, to prevent damage to any material, equipment or property, and to follow all prescribed safety rules and procedures.
• Maintains the college grounds, including mowing, raking, plant maintenance, lawn care, trail maintenance and snow removal.
• Provides support to projects which enhance the campus including new plantings, mulching, signage, and other small projects,
• Sets up facilities for College events and provided necessary support.
• Moves furniture and other materials on campus and within local area.
• Performs work, as assigned, to properly maintain athletic facilities including the lawn care, playing surface maintenance, lining of fields, ice making and ice grooming operations.
• Performs manual tasks as required to meet the needs of the College, such as digging, shoveling, lifting, pushing and similar tasks requiring physical labor.
• Properly and safely operates Grounds Department major equipment, as assigned by the supervisor, including trucks, tractors, riding mowers, forklift, Zamboni, bobcat, loader, etc.
• Properly and safely operates all hand held equipment including, lawn mowers, chain saws, trimmers, brooms, snow blowers, etc.
• Demonstrates basic mechanical understanding of all grounds equipment.
• Works in excavations or trenches. Works off ladders, scaffolds, or in trees.
• Works in all weather conditions.
• Oversees periodic assignments of students and/or summer employees to ensure that work is performed to college standards.
• Performs other work/duties of the Grounds Department as may be required to support the mission of the College.
• High school diploma or equivalency required.
• A valid Maine driver’s license and be insurable through the College is required.
• Experience working in similar grounds position is strongly desired.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Position hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Overtime required as needed by College schedule and weather conditions. Must be available for planned and unplanned night and weekend work for College events, snow removal, and other needs as required. Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, lift up to 75 lbs., climb, or crawl as required to ensure completion of the work. Driving of College vehicles required.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: