Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for a:
MILLWRIGHT/STEAM PLANT OPERATOR
PHYSICAL PLANT DEPARTMENT
The Millwright/Steam Plant Operator reports to the Engineer in Charge of the Central Steam Plant. The Steam Plant Operator must have the ability to operate, maintain, and repair conveyors, rotating equipment, hydraulics, auger conveyors, fans, pumps, and similar equipment. Job requires ability to operate high pressure boilers, turbine generator, and auxiliary equipment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Millwright/Steam Plant Operator
• Follows all safety rules and procedures.
• Safely operates tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties.
• Works in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel. The ability to work with members of the diverse Colby community as necessary.
• Operates boilers, test chemicals, operate the back pressure steam turbine generator, and maintain operational logs and other duties as necessary.
• Independently responds to issues and emergency situations as necessary. Must be able to independently assess situations and form a plan for remedy.
• Demonstrates communication and leadership skills.
• Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on biomass and oil fired boilers and all supporting equipment. Update preventive maintenance logs as necessary.
• Performs all work in a prompt, neat, safe, and careful manner that displays common sense, planning, and thoughtfulness.
• Maintains tools, equipment, and mechanical areas in a neat and clean condition.
• Notifies and/or obtains advice from the Engineer in Charge or calls for assistance as may be appropriate in any situation.
• Performs all other tasks and duties as directed by the Engineer in Charge.
• A high school diploma or equivalent
• A high pressure boiler operator’s license required within 6 months of hire
• Four-year millwright apprenticeship or equivalent work experience demonstrating equipment installation, equipment maintenance, alignments, rigging, and safe work practices required
• Mechanical ability to operate, maintain, and service the mechanical equipment and systems used in biomass and oil fired high pressure steam plants required
• Ability to operate, maintain, and repair conveyors, rotating equipment, hydraulics, auger conveyors, drag chain conveyors, fans, pumps, and similar equipment required
• Basic computer skills are desired, i.e., word processing, email, and spreadsheet software
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Normal working hours for this position are between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Operator shifts are normally 3 on/3 off 12 hour days. A minimum of two weeks days (Monday-Friday) each week will typically be scheduled for preventative maintenance and other millwright tasks as assigned. During that time, an operator or the Lead Operator will fill in as plant operator. Position involves some sitting, though frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand wrist motion is also necessary. Must have ability to enter confined spaces per Colby safety policy. Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, and lift up to 75 lbs. Driving of College vehicles required.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: