Deferral Policy | Admissions and Financial Aid | Colby College
Colby College Logo
Apply and Afford

Deferral Policy

Students admitted to Colby may request to defer their matriculation for a semester or a full year. (Students admitted to begin on campus in January may only defer matriculation to the following January). After submitting an enrollment deposit to reserve her or his place in the class to which she or he has applied, a student may request, in writing, such deferral of enrollment to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, outlining plans for the upcoming gap semester or year using the Gap Year Request Form. Colby routinely grants these requests, and students will receive written notification of deferral approval.  The enrollment deposit will be held and credited to the student account. 

Midway through the deferral period, (by November 1 or February 1), students are asked to contact an assigned admissions counselor to provide written summary of their gap experience to date. At this time, the student is asked to reaffirm her or his intention to enroll at Colby for the coming semester or year.  Those students deferring enrollment for a full year, who had initially applied for financial aid, should now re-apply for financial aid in order to be considered for such assistance.

Requests for deferral should be made as soon after notification of admission as possible. First-year students admitted Early Decision or Regular Decision are eligible for deferral requests; students admitted from the wait list are not typically approved for deferral.

The final enrollment of students undertaking any academic work during their gap semester or year is subject to review of this work, and students are responsible for providing official transcripts of such work. Students choosing to enroll full-time at another college or university, or a full-time post graduate diploma seeking program, will not be approved for deferral. Instead, those students may choose to apply for transfer admission if their interest in Colby continues.