CLAS Registration Process
There are several steps in the CLAS registration process. This page provides information about each step–along with the links necessary to complete each step.
1. Requesting a CLAS session
CLAS sessions are requested either by departments/programs or by individual faculty members.
Department/program sessions are sponsored by departments/programs with the anticipation that all/most of the faculty will attend that session. Typically, department/programs sessions are used for honors presentations, capstone presentations, senior seminars, or other independent research.
Departments/programs may request a session of up to (but preferably less than) three hours. If a department/program needs additional time, they may also submit a request for an Open CLAS session on another date to cover the remaining time.
The link for requesting a department/program session is: https://tinyurl.com/CLAS2019DeptSession
The deadline for requesting a department/program session is Wednesday, January 9, 2019.
Course-based sessions are sponsored by individual faculty members and reflect the work done either in a particular course or by a group of students supervised by an individual faculty member.
There are five types of course-based sessions:
- Thursday CLAS Poster Session
- Thursday CLAS Presentation Session
- Open CLAS Poster Session (during regular class time during the final two weeks of class, typically in one’s regular classroom)
- Open CLAS Presentation Session (during regular class time during the final two weeks class, typically in one’s regular classroom)
- Wild Card Session (in Ostrove Auditorium, creative format [PechaKucha, debate, etc.] or interdisciplinary topic. Engagingly targeted at a general (non-expert) audience.
The link to request a course-based session is: https://tinyurl.com/CLAS2019CourseSession
The deadline for requesting a course-based session is Wednesday, January 9, 2019.
- Note: Based on feedback, scheduling will prioritize department/program sessions to feature more advanced student scholarship. If there are more course-based sessions than slots available, the divisions will determine which proposed sessions will occur on Thursday; toward that end, the request form includes a space for an explanation for why the session would be particularly well suited for Thursday. Any sessions that might not be selected for Thursday will certainly have the opportunity to use an Open CLAS slot(s).
Arts@CLAS is a celebration of the arts that takes place Wednesday evening (6-8 p.m.) in the Museum of Art. The evening includes student performances (musical, theatrical, dance), readings (creative writing, poetry, multiple languages), exhibitions/open galleries (visual arts, cinema), and activities. The spirit of the evening is lively, with many different venues ablaze with activity.
The link to request an Arts@CLAS session is: https://tinyurl.com/CLAS2019CourseSession
The deadline to request an Arts@CLAS session is Wednesday, January 9, 2019.
If you have questions about Arts@CLAS, please contact Lola Bollo-Panadero (email@example.com)
2. Registering students for the session
Once the session has been entered into the system, the session sponsor can then register the students for that session.
The link to register students is:
Note: If you are sponsoring multiple Open CLAS sessions, this is the stage where you will assign your students to the particular Open CLAS session.
Deadline: March 1, 2019
3. Entering titles; grouping students; preferred order
Once you have registered the students for your session, the next step is to enter their titles and identify any students who are grouped on a single project.
The link to enter titles, group students, or enter a preferred order is:
You may use this same link to update the titles as necessary.
Deadline: Friday, April 5, 2019
- November 28, 2018: Call for sessions (department/program, course-based)
- January 9, 2019: Deadline for session requests
- February 18, 2019: Solicitation to session sponsors to register their students
- March 1, 2019: Deadline for registering students
- March 11, 2019: Solicitation to session sponsors for groupings, orders, and titles
- April 1, 2019: Solicitation to chairs/directors for CLAS Highlights nominations
- April 1, 2019: Solicitation to students for general session projects
- April 1, 2019: Solicitation to students for Phi Beta Kappa Speech Contest registration
- April 5, 2019: Deadline for groupings, orders, and titles
- April 5, 2019: Deadline for CLAS Highlights nominations
- April 10, 2019: Deadline for general session projects
- April 10, 2019: Deadline for Phi Beta Kappa Speech Contest registration
- April 16, 2019: Schedule finalized for Communications
- May 1, 2019: Arts@CLAS
- May 2, 2019: CLAS
Responsibility of a Session Sponsor
- Request a session
- Confirm the participants for your session
- Submit groupings, titles, and sequences
- Communicate with session participants
- Moderate the session
Responsibility of a Student Presenter
- Confirm your participation with your session sponsor (chair, director, or instructor)
- Submit your title to your session sponsor (chair, director, or instructor)
- Prepare your materials
- Practice your presentation
- Come early to your session
- Be brilliant, and have fun!