Establishing a Social Media Presence for Your Department or Office
Is social media the right tool for you?
Like any communication tool, social media is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Before you get started, answer these three questions:
- What is your goal?
- Who do you want to reach and engage?
- What message do you want to convey?
- What action(s) do you want your audience to take?
- Is social media the best tool for accomplishing this goal?
- What other tools could accomplish the same goal?
- Why is social media a better option than any of those other tools?
- Do you have the time and resources to maintain an effective presence on social media?
- Do you have time to create content?
- Do you have the resources to monitor, engage with, and respond to social media activity?
- Do you have one person (not a student) who can own your social media presence?
If you would like some help talking through these questions, contact us.
What are the benefits of a social media presence?
- Broad, disparate audience
What are the challenges of a social media presence?
- It takes time.
- Creating content
- Curating content
- Engaging with content
- Monitoring activity
- Responding to activity
- Reporting and analyzing
- It takes resources.
- See above
- A weak or inactive social media presence can be worse than no presence at all.
Social Media Tips
- Start small: pick one place, probably either Facebook or Twitter, and see how it goes.
- It’s not the field of dreams; if you build it, they won’t necessarily come. Promote your social media presence in your other communications.
- It’s not about quotas; worry more about the quality of your content than the frequency.
- Plan ahead: create a calendar to outline the following:
- Types/series of content, e.g., student of the month, upcoming events, etc.
- Who is responsible for creating/posting the content
- Who is responsible for managing/enforcing the calendar
- Get help from students, but …
- … always check student work before it is posted, because …
- … once you post something, you should assume that it will be out there forever.
If you have any questions about establishing or managing a social media presence for your office or department, contact us.