Aaron R. Hanlon
Assistant Professor of English
B.A., M.A., Bucknell
Areas of Expertise
- British literary history c. 1600-1815
- US and transatlantic literary history to 1815
- History of the novel
- The Enlightenment
- Literature and: history and philosophy of science; epistemology; political theory
Courses Currently Teaching
|EN120A A||Language, Thought, and Writing: Styles of Persuasion|
|EN233J A||Enlightenment Data and Literature|
|EN271 B||Critical Theory|
1. A World of Disorderly Notions: Quixote and the Logic of Exceptionalism
(University of Virginia Press, 2019)
Books In Progress
2. Understanding Science Denial
(under contract, Johns Hopkins University Press)
1. Empirical Knowledge in the Eighteenth-Century Novel
(under contract, Cambridge University Press)
Journal Articles (peer-reviewed)
9. "From Writing Lives to Scaling Lives in Joseph Priestley's Chart of Biography." The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 62.3 (2021)(forthcoming).
8. "Fanny Hill and the Legibility of Consent." English Literary History 86.4 (2019): 941-66.
7. "Perlocutionary Verse in Augustan England." Modern Philology 114.3 (2017): 657-79.
6. "Quixotism as Global Heuristic: Atlantic and Pacific Diasporas." Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture 46 (2017): 49-62.
5. "Margaret Cavendish's Anthropocene Worlds." New Literary History 47.1 (2016): 49-66.
4. "Toward a Counter-Poetics of Quixotism." Studies in the Novel 46.2 (2014): 141-58.
3. "Maids, Mistresses, and Monstrous Doubles: Gender-Class Kyriarchy in The Female Quixote and Female Quixotism." The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 55.1 (Spring 2014): 77-96.
2. "Re-Reading Gulliver as Quixote: Toward a Theory of Quixotic Exceptionalism." Connotations: A Journal for Critical Debate 21.2-3 (September 2012): 278-303.
1. "Unworthy Global Citizens: Quixotic Influence and the Underhill Legacy in The Algerine Captive." Comparative American Studies 9.2 (June 2011): 119-30.
The directory information is for individual use only, it may not be retransmitted or published for any reason. It is not to be used for mass solicitations by email, mail, phone, or other means. Sale or other distribution of this document is prohibited by College policy.