The Fulbright Program enables a student to live and study/conduct research in a foreign country for one academic year.  Teaching (English) opportunities are available in a number of French- and Italian-speaking countries in Europe, Africa, and Canada. There are two types of Fullbright grants of interest:

  • a teaching grant
  • a research grant

For a complete description of the grants:

English Teaching Assistant Grant (ETA):

ETA places a Fulbrighter in a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture. The age and academic level of classroom students varies by country, ranging from kindergarten to university level. Applicants for ETA programs can apply to only one country.

An excellent mastery of the target country’s language (French or Italian) is required.

Research Grants:

These grants are more competitive, as the pool of candidates includes M.A. and Ph.D. students. The application process is also more complex, including a detailed research proposal and a letter of support/recommendation from a professor in the host country/university.

Basic Application:

  • application form
  • 1-page personal essay
  • 1-page statement of purpose
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • on-campus interview at Colby
  • assessment of language proficiency


Candidates must have a definite study project in mind and, in most cases, have an excellent command of the language of the country. Applicants should hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the beginning date of the grant but applicants who have extensive professional study and/or experience in fields in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered.


U.S. Citizenship is required.


One academic year (exact months vary by country).

Campus Deadline:

End of September the year before the beginning of the program


Varies by country


Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Campus Contact:

Kim Besio
Department of East Asian Studies
Lovejoy 4400