How do I fulfill my language requirement?

You must take two courses beyond the 127 level; this will most frequently be 128 and 131 or 135 for Spanish, French, or German, or 321 for Chinese and Japanese.

What if I am studying a language not offered at Colby such as Nepali, Korean or Hebrew?

If you continue this study independently you may inquire through the director about certification through a test such as that offered at Harvard. It will be incumbent upon you to prove that you have passed through the equivalent of a 131 Colby level class. You may also reach the intermediate level in your study abroad or a summer course.

I came to Colby and began in Spanish 135. Do I have to take another language course?

We are interested in assuring that you have a basic level of functional fluency. If you began at an advanced level we would count the first course or courses at or above 131. That is, if you only take 135 or only take 231, this course will count into your GPA for the GS major and it will satisfy your language requirement.

Should I take more than one language?

In our globalizing world, this is a good idea if you have the time! If you think you are going to be in a career competing, for example, with Europeans, they may have more than two languages.

If I have a Culture & Places concentration, do I have to study a language of a nation in that region?

Students must develop language skills relevant to their regional specialization.

Do upper level literature courses count towards Culture & Places studies?

Absolutely – this is a great way to learn about a culture. See the list of courses on the GS website to see how each course can count towards your major.

return to FAQs