Welcome Class of 2018!
First-years arrived a couple of days ago and we at the Office of Sustainability had the pleasure of meeting many of them at the RESCUE Sale and at the Vendor Fair! At the RESCUE Sale, first-years had the opportunity to purchase gently-used household items, furniture, appliances, and other items that other Colby students had donated. The sale takes literally tons of material out of the waste stream every year. There will be another RESCUE Sale for all Colby students on Tuesday, September 2nd from 9-1 in the hockey rink.
At the Vendor Fair, first-years and their families had the opportunity to learn about the Office of Sustainability and sign our brand new sustainability pledge. For those who haven’t had the chance to sign it yet, keep a lookout for us in Pulver the next few Fridays as we collect more signatures for the pledge. Rumor has it that we will be handing out reusable mugs and Spa and Bookstore gift cards to people who sign our pledge! The pledge is as follows:
“I pledge to live a more sustainable lifestyle. I will consider the environmental, social, and economic impacts of my daily decisions and make every effort to be responsible in these areas. I will also share my individual sustainability efforts with others at Colby and in my community. By committing to do the actions below, I am joining others to help create a more sustainable Colby.
- I will recycle paper, bottles, cans, plastics, and other recyclable waste
- I will use reusable water bottles and coffee mugs
- I will turn off the lights when I leave a room
- I will hang my clothes once a week to minimize the use of energy-intensive cloth es driers
- Whenever possible, I will use a bike or carpool when going off campus
- On campus, I will walk or bike
- I will minimize printing and always print double-sided
- I will take short showers (five minutes or less)
- I will only take the food I plan on eating and compost any food waste
- I will attend at least one sustainability-focused event or lecture per semester
- Before purchasing new items, I will go to the annual RESCUE sale and semi-annual FreeCycle events”