The History Department announces with great pleasure the call for proposals for Sarah Janney Internship & Research Grants. These competitive grants are intended to allow History majors to accept otherwise unfunded internships and research projects, including honors research, in archives, museums, historical sites, and libraries while gaining valuable experience related to the major and to future career opportunities.
Funding: Internship and research funding is available to continuing, full-time Colby students who are History majors and will provide up to $3000 toward student expenses. For more information about internships and their structure, please explore the DavisConnects internship information page. As noted above, these grants are intended to fund otherwise unfunded internships and research activities.
Sign in with your Colby username and password and then in the General Application follow instructions to apply to either the Sarah Janney Internship Grant or the Sarah Janney Research Grant.
You may prepare your application by drafting answers to the following questions.
- Please describe the mission of the organization (200 words max).
- Please describe your role and discuss your contribution (350 words max).
- What are your learning objectives and how will you measure successful outcomes (350 words max)?
- How will this experience enhance your time at Colby and tie into your history major? If you feel it is applicable, how will this experience contribute to your post-graduate plans (350 words max)?
- Provide a brief abstract describing the project (150 words max).
- Research Design Proposal:
- Describe the specific research question(s) to be examined: (150 Words Max)
- Provide a brief literature review (consult with your faculty sponsor for examples relevant to your field) that indicates the significance of your research questions: (250 Words Max)
- Describe the methodology, including a clear indication of how data will be gathered and how variables will be defined: (250 Words Max)
- What is your timeline for data-gathering and writing? (150 Words Max)
Application Opens: October 12, 2020, at 12:00 AM EST
Application Closes: October 29, 2020, at 11:59 PM EST
Award Notifications: November 20, 2020 by 5:00 PM EST
Post-Acceptance Requirements: December 18, 2020
Late applications will not be considered. The faculty of the History Department will review the materials. Please note that after the internship is completed grant recipients must submit a brief (300-500 words) report suitable for inclusion in a Departmental newsletter or on our website to the Department Chair. In addition, a detailed expense report (including copies of receipts) must be submitted.
For questions about the application process, contact Scott Lamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other questions related to the Sarah Janney Grants, contact Professor John Turner at email@example.com.