Welcome to Colby!
- Use your Colby Card to borrow books at any library, or to pay for photocopies or library fines.
- Check your account or renew books in your online library account using your Colby username and password. Note that you must use the barcode numbers only (no letters) from the back of your Colby Card to reserve books online.
- Set up an ILLIAD account to borrow books or get copies of articles from other libraries. This is called interlibrary loan.
- Check out our Research Help page for more tips and guides on student research.
- Didn’t find what you need? ASK US!
Borrow, Renew, Request
Laptops are currently available for a 7 day loan. Other items available are listed here: 2020/2021 Equipment.
General Research Help
Explore the Research Help page
We’ve collected some of our best tips, databases, and guides for you here.
Email a Subject Specialist
Subject Specialists are available to help you learn to find books, articles, data, websites, and other resources for your papers or projects. Any student, whether on or off-campus, should email a librarian to set up a meeting for help with your projects!
Specialized Research Help
Senior Year Research Projects
When you enroll in Honors or Senior Scholars, you will be able to see an honors course on Moodle. Check it out for suggestions on research, resources, and how to deposit your finished thesis with the library. We’re also happy to meet with you individually!
Our Special Collections librarians would love for you to use our amazing digital archives and old manuscripts. See their resources and work opportunities here.
NOTE: During Falll Semester 2020 access and use of some spaces will be impacted.
Colby has three libraries full of study spaces, from the Miller Library‘s quiet Reading Room, study carrels, and overlooks of campus, to the Science Library‘s scenic bay windows and study rooms, and the Bixler Art and Music Library’s beautiful views and media lab for design work.
Reserving a Study Carrel
Three study rooms in Miller offer 10-12 individual desks and a personal locker. There are limited spots and students should show demonstrated need (senior thesis, major research project, documented learning differences). We also have individual storage lockers if you do not need a private desk. Contact the Dean of Studies Office at x4560 for an application.