Welcome to Colby!
- Use your Colby Card to borrow books at any library, or to pay for photocopies or library fines.
- Check your account or renew books in your online library account using your Colby username and password. Note that you must use the barcode numbers only (no letters) from the back of your Colby Card to reserve books online.
- Set up an ILLIAD account to borrow books from other libraries. This is called interlibrary loan.
- Check out our Research Help page for more tips and guides on student research.
- If you’re a first-year student, contact your Personal Librarian to set up a meeting!
Borrow, Renew, Request
One of the great things about Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin is that we share a library collection. With a quick search, you can request books and pick them up at Miller within 1-2 days. Your borrowing rights include:
- 28 days for books
- 28 days for audiobooks
- 7 days for magazines
- 7 days for videos, movies, and DVDs
- 7 days for the music CDs in Bixler, or listen to streaming music.
We also have many materials on short-term reserve so that more students can use them. Find out more here about our reserve materials:
- 24 hour loan for laptops
- 4 hour loan for chargers, headphones, and calculators
- 2 hour loan for books on course reserve
- 4 hour loan for videos on course reserve
Colby has three libraries full of study spaces, from the Miller Library‘s quiet Reading Room, study carrels, and overlooks of campus, to the Science Library‘s scenic bay windows and study rooms, and the Bixler Art and Music Library’s beautiful views and media lab for design work.
Reserving a Study Carrel
Three study rooms in Miller offer 10-12 individual desks and a personal locker. There are limited spots and students should show demonstrated need (senior thesis, major research project, documented learning differences). We also have individual storage lockers if you do not need a private desk. Contact Margaret Duperry in the Dean of Studies Office, Eustis 107 or at email@example.com or x4560 for an application..
General Research Help
The Research Help page
We’ve collected some of our best tips, databases, and guides for you here.
Personal Librarian Program
Every first-year student has been assigned a ‘personal librarian’ to consult for any questions on research or using the Colby libraries. You should have gotten an email about this as well as be able to see your librarian on your MyColby page.
Email a Librarian
Research librarians are available to help you learn to find books, articles, data, websites, and other resources for your papers or projects. Any student, whether on or off-campus, should email a librarian to set up a meeting for help with your projects!
Specialized Research Help
Senior Year Research Projects
When you enroll in Honors or Senior Scholars, you will be able to see an honors course on Moodle. Check it out for suggestions on research, resources, and how to deposit your finished thesis with the library. We’re also happy to meet with you individually!
Our Special Collections librarians would love for you to use our amazing digital archives and old manuscripts. See their resources and work opportunities here.