During the academic year and during the summer there are a limited number of research opportunities in the Colby Mathematics Department. For more information on those opportunities, please speak with a professor. There are many other opportunities available, however! And the department may have money to help fund your travel! Email Professor Taylor to inquire.
For the latest and most update-to-date opportunities, please ask to be added to the math student email listserv. We promise we won’t spam you, but you can find out about tutoring and volunteer opportunities, get a preview of upcoming classes, learn what the next colloquium will be about, learn about department social events, and get news about job opportunities. To join please email Kim Caswell and ask to be added. If you are also interested in Statistics and Data Science, also ask to be added to the Statistics student listserv.
Here is a partial list of undergraduate-appropriate conferences that run most years. If you know of others, we are happy to add them. Every year there are many specialty conferences, some of which may be of interest to undergraduate math/stats majors. The dates listed (although out-of-date) should give you some idea what time of year applications are due.
- Women In Mathematics In New England (September 21, 2019. Registration is free but due by September 6)
- Quebec-Maine Number Theory Conference (October 2-3, 2021)
- National Joint Mathematics Meetings (January 5-8, 2022)
- Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in Mathematics
(January 31 – February 2, 2020, Application deadline October 1-8)
- Women In Data Science Conference (March 7, 2021; local event TBD)
- North Shore Undergraduate Math Conference (usually in April, near Boston)
- Women in Math and Statistics Conference @ Harvard (spring 2020)
- MathFest (August 4-7, 2021)
- IAS Women and Mathematics, The Mathematics of Machine Learning (May 21-27, 2022)
- List of Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) in math and other disciplines
- MIT Undergraduate Summer Research Program