To be approved by Colby to participate in a semester or year long off-campus study program, you must meet certain eligibility criteria.

Keep in mind that there are other study, research or volunteer abroad opportunities, including summer, Jan Plan, and internships abroad, if a semester or year abroad is not feasible for you.




You need a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7. to be approved by Colby to study off-campus.

If your GPA is lower than 2.7 (but no lower than 2.5), you may be permitted to petition the Advisory Committee on Off-Campus Study. Students with a GPA below 2.5 after Jan Plan will generally not be considered eligible to petition.

Junior Standing

You must have junior standing when you study abroad. Only Colby’s language-acquisition programs in Salamanca and Dijon are open to sophomores. If you wish to study off-campus during your senior year, please contact us.

Note: Colby requires seniors to spend their last semester on the Waterville campus. 

Foreign Language Requirement

Colby believes that foreign languages are the key to understanding foreign cultures.

  1. For regions where the spoken language is taught at Colby, students are expected to have completed the equivalent of three semesters (through 127) (Spanish, German, French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian) prior to study abroad. Some modifications to the policy are made for Italian.

  2. For study in Portuguese-speaking countries (Portugal or Brazil), Colby requires the equivalent of 3 semesters of college level study of Spanish or another romance language.

  3. In countries where the host language is not English, students are required to study the local language for the duration of the program



You must be in good academic and social standing to be approved for off-campus study at Colby. This means that you may not be on academic probation. If you are on disciplinary probation, please contact us to discuss your options.