Call Campus Security or Police 911 or 5911
- Remain calm and answer the dispatcher’s questions. The dispatcher is trained to obtain the necessary information for the emergency responders.
- If safe to do so try to obtain the following information: Height, weight, sex, race, clothing, and approximate age, direction of travel, and name if known. If the suspect enters a vehicle, note the license plate number and state, make, model, color, and any outstanding characteristics.
Note: An individual must use his/her own discretion during an active shooter incident as to whether to run to safety or remain in place. Best practices for an active shooter incident are listed below.
If Outside When A Shooting Occurs
- Drop to the ground immediately, face down as flat as possible. If within 15 – 20 feet of a safe place or cover, duck and run for it.
- Move or crawl away from gunfire, try to utilize any obstructions between you and the gunfire.
- When you reach a place of relative safety, stay down and do not move .
- Wait and listen for directions from Security and/or the Police.
If Suspect Is Outside Your Classroom/Office
- Stay inside the classroom/office.
- If possible, close and lock the door.
- Close the blinds, turn off the lights, remain quiet and move behind any available cover. Stay on the floor, away from doors and windows, spread out if others are in the room and do not peek out to see what may be happening.
- If possible and safe to do so, report the location of the assailant via 911 or 5911.
If Suspect Is In Close Proximity
- Lie motionless and pretend to be unconscious.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the suspect except for self protection. An individual must use his/her own discretion about when to engage a shooter for survival.