All Colby facilities have state-of-the-art life safety systems including, but not limited to sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, heat detectors, pull stations, and locator enunciator panels. All systems are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in the Department of Security dispatch center. If you discover a fire:
- Sound the alarm. Know where the pull stations are in your building.
- Call the emergency number ext. 5911.
- Leave the building.
If you are in a burning building:
- Go the the nearest exit or stairs. Do not use the elevator.
- Feel door handles. If hot, do not open the door. Try another exit or window.
- If the exit is blocked, return to your room, close the door, open the window, and call for help.
- If in a smoke-filled area, keep low to the floor to escape the smoke and heat.
- Learn all the exits and the evacuation plans to your building.
Remember: DO NOT tamper with the fire alarms, smoke detectors, pull stations, or other fire safety equipment … they could save your life!
Fire Systems Information