How will my health insurance work right now? Is it transferable to my home state or country?
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the disruption caused to Colby students, National Guardian Life Insurance Company (NGL/Wellfleet) has expanded coverage as follows:
- Eligibility: Enrolled students attending Colby College who have transitioned to online learning will continue to be eligible under the plan. Coverage is available nationally and can be used at home.
- COVID-19 Testing: NGL/Wellfleet will cover COVID-19 testing (including ER, telemedicine, urgent care, and office visits) similar to a preventive benefit for fully insured plans, waiving copays, deductibles, and coinsurance for customers when treated by in-network or out-of-network providers.
- COVID-19 Treatment: Will be covered based on the specific plan benefits.
- Telehealth Coverage: Telehealth visits will be covered the same as in-person visits.
- Exclusion Lifted for International Students in Home Country: NGL/Wellfleet has lifted the exclusion prohibiting coverage for medical visits while international students are in their home country. NGL/Wellfleet will cover your visits while you’re in your home country with the same in-network cost share that you experience in the U.S. This coverage includes testing and treatment for COVID-19, as noted above.
- Students Studying Abroad: NGL/Wellfleet has removed the non-emergency treatment exclusion for students seeking care while overseas. This means medically necessary treatment will be covered at the in-network level of benefits subject to any in-network deductible, coinsurance, and copayments.
- Please see this document — NGL Wellfleet International Coverage Covid19 — for more information about procedures for international students.