CAPS Summer Program
Arrive on Campus: Saturday/Sunday June 24/25
Depart from Campus: Saturday/Sunday July 29/30
Cathy Bevier, Professor of Biology
Jeff Katz, Professor of Chemistry
Anticipated Research Modules/Activities
- Evidence Based Learning and Study Strategies
- Exploring Mathematics and Chemistry
- Green Chemistry
- Earth and Planetary Science and Microanalysis
- Aqueous Chemistry and Analytical Techniques
- Data Literacy
- Writing for Science
- Exploring the Maine Coast by boat
- A Day trip to Freeport ME
- Baking Contests
- White Water Rafting
- Students spend their weekdays doing hands-on research with Colby science faculty. These experiences are structured as Research Modules that span 1-3 days each and include coursework and homework assignments related to the topics covered.
- Students interact directly with faculty and instructors to learn about and hone essential skills needed for success in scientific disciplines.
- Outings and activities all around Maine are planned for weekends and some evenings.
- There will be two exams during the five week program, which is part of the requirement for the one college credit hour earned through participation.
- Students earn a $2500 stipend for participating in Caps.
- CAPS does not burden participating students: travel, room and board and the cost of CAPS activities are all paid for by Colby College.
Join the CAPS Facebook Group to meet your future classmates before you arrive.